1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where does Asian American fall in the race relations problem?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Lawn Dart, Aug 2, 2016.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

This is what I see . My GF is Japenese, her parents were both Hiroshima survivors. No hatred, just respect and understanding. Hard working and intelligent, kind to others.

As far as racist, my experience is limited, but there is a fine line between what some call racism and and protecting their culture.

2. kaoyagi

kaoyagi Well-Known Member

No, both ex-wives are white....... my parents liked them both.

True, but when you see behind the scenes where they talk down about anyone that isn't Japanese or openly talk about how inferior others are, that to me is racism.

cav115 likes this.
  3. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

She has said that also.

Freedom of speech, same as here. That is up to the individual. Not saying it`s right. For me, you have the right to say what you feel. It takes time and the incoming person to show they want to assimilate to truly be accepted. IMHO.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The term you're looking for is called "xenophobia".

In my experiences most far easterners all seem to hate each other as well, not just westerners.

Interestingly enough there is a new paradigm emerging in Japan and its not a good one. Maybe you can kind of liken it to our shitty ass generation of crybaby millennials but you can read more about it here.

http://www.techinsider.io/herbivore-men-in-japan-are-not-having-sex-8-15
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/yumikosato/who-are-japans-grass-eaters_b_4961817.html
    http://jpninfo.com/33248

The nation of Japan is disappearing (their birthrate is in free-fall), the once brave and stoic samurai are giving way to effeminate girly men. And its not just losing interest is girls/sex, they are also losing interest in working themselves to death like they watched their fathers do so they are doing the bare minimum to get by rather than trying to excel. Japan is in BAD shape, and its only going to get worse.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is no line really. It's both protective and when your culture is the culture of an entire race it is racist. Racism can be good when done properly.

cav115 likes this.
  6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Can you cite any examples of racism done properly?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Assuming you're going to take the stance that racism can only mean belief that ones race is superior and other inferior then no, of course not.

Got any other trolling you'd like to do? ;)

8. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Agree.

I was responding to this.

"True, but when you see behind the scenes where they talk down about anyone that isn't Japanese or openly talk about how inferior others are, that to me is racism.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've always looked at that as more nationalism really than a race thing.

Was thinking about this earlier - what exactly are the races anyway? According to biology there's only one species and they break down races in a number of different ways - humans however don't follow any of those these days. Socially there are a number more (duh), are they just what the census lists? In which case the Japanese are gonna be super pissed since they're the same as Chinese and a lot of others :D

cav115 likes this.
  10. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Go to Hawaii. All sorts of races mixed up and all talking shit about each other, often humorously, and they can take a joke. It is just human nature to have a pecking order (even if it's only in your mind). But at the end of the day, they realize they are all ohana...family.

cav115 likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And they hate anyone who isn't Hawaiian :D

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Maybe it's an island thing all the hate....

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Fucking haoles. :p

14. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

You guys are such obvious baiters, lol. I am talking about the non-whites. Hawaiian, Samoans, Tongonese, Filipino, Chinese, Japanese, etc. (honorable mention to Portagee, beause there are a crapload). They are all different ethicities, all proud. And they work it out. And yes, the white man sucks, lol.

Separately, I had a girlfriend (friend that was girl, rein it in) years ago that was half Japanese half Korean. Two observations...she is beautiful (to me, of course), and it is the blending of Japanese and Korean that gave rise to that. But there was definite "shame" for her mother marrying a guy from out of town. So yes, the Japanese thing existed(s). Second, one year we were in Newport RI and walking down some side street window shopping and all of sudden she got uncomfortable...apparently some yokels flung racial slurs at her surreptitiously...I was like WTF didn't you say anything? I would have at a minimum screamed those motherf*ckers down the block. Long story short, we are all ohana, work it out (except if you don't want to work it out, then see credos of Republic of Fred elsewhere hahahahah). And I have a gardening hose thread to start and Olympics to watch.

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Asking you to explain what you said is trolling?

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I feel dirty kinda agreeing with IYC here but isn't the definition of racism "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race". At least thats what Merriam-Webster says.:D

Not trying to be a dick here but what exactly is "positive" racism? I can not think of a single instance where believing that one race is superior to others would be a positive.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Trolling is you trying to start an argument by purposely misunderstanding what someone posted.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, the dictionary considers racism to only be feeling superior about your race and thinking all others are therefore inferior. I think pride in your race while not feeling others to be inferior or yours superior is possible and would still be racism. So the dictionary and I disagree on word usage, nothing new there :D

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well as soon as they recognize the superiority of Mongoism, I'm sure they'll update their definitions. :moon:

20. G 97

G 97 Garth