Multivitamins

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jul 26, 2016.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

I'm with you on this. In #murica we are very much treat the symptom and not the root cause, whereas many other places are the opposite.

2. Mike Dillon

Mike Dillon Well-Known Member

An internet discussion about a conspiracy with the size and complexity necessary for what you're suggesting to be true is not something I've seen as a pleasant experience. So I'll pass. However, you may be interested in turning that same thinking upon the supplement industry for a moment. http://www.nutraceuticalsworld.com/...eatures/dietary-supplements-onwardand-upward/

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

You cant get what you need from food alone? Well fuck me, how did I make it this long? If Nikki Sixx can pound the heroin and still come back from the dead I think im ok without anything else in my body than what I eat.

4. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I'll buy into this one. One of my surgery sites got infected last year and the doc told me to take D3, lots of it. (Here come the part where I set myself for beeb abuse) I also had some warts on my leg and hand I had been dealing with for a decade and I had tried every sort of remedy known to man. Compound W, duct tape, apple cider vinegar, chanting spells while sitting naked in a witch circle, etc. I mean I tried everything. After taking the D3 for a week or two I noticed all the warts had vanished so I started doing some digging, evidently D3 has some fairly potent antiviral properties.

BigBird likes this.
  5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Oh I already know the supplement industry is full of shills peddling lots of useless garbage already. The fact that the industry is not regulated makes it all the more easy to do so. Hence why alot more ownness is on the consumers to do their due diligence in investigating what they are buying/using.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yup

And since people are terrified of being in the sun a good portion of the population is deficient in it. I'm not saying to go out and bake yourself by any means, but your body is naturally supposed to get a little bit of unprotected sun exposure on a regular basis so that it can synthesize sufficient vit D.....failing that, making sure to get it via a supplement since its not generally found in sufficient quantities to keep you healthy via food.

https://healthimpactnews.com/2013/v...ral-drugs-and-vaccines-at-preventing-the-flu/

– Vitamin D is not a vitamin, but a steroid hormone precursor, which has profound effects on innate immunity.

– The amount of vitamin D in most food and nearly all multivitamins is literally inconsequential.

– The correct daily dose of vitamin D for adults is approximately 5,000 IU/day, not the 200 to 600 IU recommended by the Institute of Medicine, the National Institutes of Medicine and the FDA.

– The only blood test to determine vitamin D adequacy is a 25-hydroxy-vitamin D, not the 1,25-di-hydroxy-vitamin D test many physicians now order.

Healthy vitamin D blood levels are between 70 and 90 ng/ml, levels obtained by fewer than 5% of Americans.

– The mechanism of action of vitamin D in infection, dramatically increasing the body’s production of broad-spectrum natural antibiotics (anti-microbial peptides or AMP), suggests pharmaceutical doses of vitamin D (1,000 IU per pound of body weight per day for several days) will effectively treat not only influenza and the common cold, but help treat a host of other seasonal infections, including meningitis, septicemia, and pneumonia, in both children and adults.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Were there any hot witches? I dig them. Elvira....just damn.

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

The doc told me to ignore the recommended dosage, he said take whatever it said on the bottle and at least triple or quadruple it. I do take 5000 iu per day now, every day.

Of course she was, Shannen Doherty and Alyssa Milano were there as well.

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

my doctors tend to be paid by my insurance and they LOVE it when i dont use their services. my premiums subsidize everyone else that is using the services.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

And now Obamacare where most doctor's offices kind of need to function like an assembly line.

11. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

I'd recommend staying away from Centrum & Theragram due to the high amout of oyster shell (a binder that doesn't digest properly) but if you do, grind them.

I take Nature Made Maximum Pack and piss antifreeze most the day after doing so. Once you start you will notice the difference if you miss 2 days in a row...believe me.

12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Captain Kirk told me that they are a slow release for a reason and to get the most absorbtion and you are really pissing out the benefits grinding it up into a powder.....just sayin'

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Nope

They are going to travel through your digestive system basically the same speed. If they're still compacted into a caplet by the time they traverse your digestive tract and are excreted then your body never fully absorbed it.

What Captain Kirk is referring to pertains more to certain coated pharma drugs that are buffered or meant to be "slow-release" or what have you. Vitamin or mineral supplements don't need to be. The presence of food in your stomach has more effect on slowing or even inhibiting their digestive ability. Hence why certain supplements and/or drugs tell you to take them on an empty stomach. ;)

14. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

We were talking about the Animal Packs

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Animal Packs aren't enteric coated....they're covered in this. But like I said. If I'm crapping out an undigested pill then its not getting absorbed. I'd rather have it ground up and know that my body can actually get to and use the stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmaceutical_glaze

16. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

If you are perfectly healthy, and eat a very good, well balanced diet, you probably don't need a multi-vitamin.

However, most of us don't fit the qualifications above.

You don't need a fancy multi-vitimin, and like Broome said, you don't need the mega-dose ones unless you have specific health issues that would indicat the need.

I've used a daily multi-vitamin for years, and I do believe it helps overall resistance to catching crap from the unwashed masses. I use the generaic ones from Walgreens or CVS or Walmart or whatever. They are cheap insurance against a less than optimum diet.

My doctor says that they are a waste of money. YMMV

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

Of course he would...they are trained that way..