1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's an acceptible db level for gens at the track?

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I have the same champion (mine is red), every bit as quiet as the same size honda. I bought mine refurbished through ebay for something like $300. It hunted quite a bit when I got it, replaced carb ($26) and it runs like it should now. Pretty happy and way cheaper than the honda or yamaha.

BTW, last track day I didn't bother moving it far away, it say ~5 ft away from me all day running and didnt bother me at all. I could talk over it in a normal tone.

2. ped

ped Banned

$200 generator with a box over it

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

:crackup::crackup:

Waitaholdit ... You were serious?? :confused:

4. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Quit ped. Ain't nobody ax you.

5. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Shut it. I'm doing research. Compiling data and will have results tomorrow.

Funkm05 likes this.
  6. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Someone needs to make a sticker for metals new generator. It will be its new name. His gennie will now be called "The Haint"

7. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

I use a 990 Honda V5.....130db ya bunch of pussies!!

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

Is this government funded research?

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

With his past history of absolute failures it should be reccommended that if the OP doesn't produce "results" by the end of the business day he should be banned for an unspecified period of time. In other words keep him guessing :blart:

10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Pair of Honda EU3000s. One is 58 dB @ rated load; 49 dB @ 1/4 load, add 3 to those numbers for the pair.

11. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Nice. How much?

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I got deals on both of them, last one I got off craigslist for 750 bucks. Needed a carb clean and a petcock, other than that it looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

13. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

This is what i was thinking. Line the box with Dyna-mat or something and leave enough opening for exhaust?

14. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

Got my Yammy 3500 iseB for a steal.. $1600 off craigslist. Was used for 15 hours. 62db max, 58db typically. Deeper exhaust note than the EU2000, so it's even less annoying.

15. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Yamaha 6300isde. Stats claim 58-63db. Bought from Honda East and was MUCH cheaper than anywhere else, but would have to find invoice. Retails around $3800.

TurboBlew and ekraft84 like this.
  16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Correctomundo...

17. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Rockwool will absorb sound better, but you need fresh air intake to cool the engine too. Most of the noise of a generator is not the exhaust, it is the engine itself clattering away.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

0 db

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  19. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Yep when I got the new motorhome I went on a generator sound damping rampage. Which side of the RV are you on? Is the Genturi in place? If on the drivers side are you on axis to the exhaust? How far from the unit are you measuring? and finally which scale A or C?

That said I did drop the sound almost 10dB in most measurements without impacting performance with damping material. I believe I could get a few more but except on axis with the exhaust it is almost hard to hear.

Oh and 85dB would be annoying.

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If you are talking about a generator running overnight vs. one that is just running during the day, it is also a different discussion. 85db overnight would be beyond annoying. 70 db might be pushing it for a generator left on overnight with tent campers or even folks in campers or trailers just wanting to sleep with the windows open nearby.