Grom racers?

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Jul 6, 2016.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

How fun are they on a cart track? I live fairly close to Bushnell, Fl where they have a cart/mini track and am considering getting one to possibly satisfy my desire to race more than I am able to at this time. I have a TTR 125 with sumo wheels that I ride around the neighborhood, but have never taken it there either. Something about the Grom looking more like a "race bike" has me wanting one, even though I hear a XR/CRF setup is better. Discuss.

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Buy my YZ85 sm

3. omatter34

Spam:D

Really no desire to have a smoker though.

Phl218 likes this.
  4. omatter34

PS...I also have an 87 YSR 50 in the garage that's in need of resurrecting. Worth it for this purpose?

5. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

[​IMG]

XR100s Only

AshdontcrAsh and rk97 like this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

Groms are fun no matter what :D

But I heard they are also a hoot on the cart track. Our "local" org has a Grom Spec category that I will be racing in hopefully soon.

7. ungwaha

ungwaha Well-Known Member

Take your TTR. I have been kinda looking for SUMO wheels for mine so I can head out there myself.

rk97 likes this.
  8. omatter34

Definitely plan to do this before seriously looking at a Grom, but would like to know if they differ in riding style, fun factor, etc. than. "normal" mini. Also, my brothers has a crf100 and some friends have from, so would like to be fairly even to keep the competition fair.

9. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

XR ir TTR are both way faster then a Grom on a kart track.

10. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

One of the most fun things of Grom racing is racing just against other Groms because they're all as slow as each other. Leads to fun/close battles. Racing against other minis that are slower/faster might not be as fun. It's not the fastest mini either, but I'm not really sure why that would matter since we're talking minis. Want to go fast, get a liter-bike. It does have the cool part about working like a miniature road bike and not a dirt-bike. I take mine on trips to work regularly, makes for a more fun commute.

omatter34 and BigBird like this.
  11. omatter34

This is what I was thinking too.

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Why not just race one of the Kayo MiniGP bikes?

AshdontcrAsh likes this.
  13. omatter34

Never even heard of these. What's the deal?

14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

A mini roadrace bike, size of Grom. No fancy starter or fuel injection, but looks cool.

[​IMG]

15. omatter34

Anybody ever ridden one? Downside is that I can't ride that for quick errands if I want.

16. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Can you take your TTR for errands? Sounds like two different purposes are being researched, so two bikes are needed.

Right? That's my rationalization for having a garage full of bikes. Road race, off road, mini bikes (two xr's), commuter, grocery getter/kid picker-upper, and a couple of project bikes.

BigBird and WANABE RACER like this.
  17. baconologist

Kayo is a modern ysr w/a ttr 125 engine

CK from NC likes this.
  18. CK from NC

CK from NC Active Member

Let's see it!

19. baconologist

CK from NC likes this.
  20. omatter34

Ttr isn't going anywhere. Just trying to decide if I should focus my efforts on the TTR for the mini track or seriously consider getting a Grom. I don't currently have anything that is street legal and haven't for a while, so it's not a requirement, but would be a fringe benefit.