Can you 'Flip' a rear sprocket????

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyE, Jun 29, 2016.

1. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

My rear aluminum sprocket is 'shark-fin'd.
    My chain was VERY expensive, but is still in excellent condition, w/ very little stretch and zero tight spots.
    I do not have almost $100 for a new rear sprocket/shipping, right now.
    Can I flip the rear sprocket to add life to it, and minimize future damage to the chain? Or will flipping it, cause increased wear on the sprocket, thus ruining my chain?

TY

2. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

NO.

The sprocket is worn, creating play between the chain and itself. Flipping it will continue to wear it, but if its already out of spec, it could be disastrous. And it will likely ruin the chain as well.

Also, when the teeth round over like that, they have less metal. Less metal = less strength = more probability that they will break and throw the chain.

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. SpeedyE

Thank you, Lawn!!!!! :cool:

4. I'm at a loss someone asked that. I'd hate to tech your bike :)

418, SamG, Gixxerguy855 and 5 others like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Buy a new sprocket.

Gixxerguy855, Will9465 and SpeedyE like this.
  6. SpeedyE

I will.....
    It's not that bad yet, but I can see it starting to shark-fin and just wanted to minimize wear if I could, extending the life. I am more concerned w/ saving the chain cause it was expensive and still in excellent condition.
    I will not flip it.

The sprocket will easily pass tech, it's not bad..... prolly better than 50% of the bikes on the track....I just want(ed) to try and minimize chain wear because the chain is in such good shape.
    I'll buy a new rear-sprocket very soon, just can't do it yet.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

$100 for a sprocket? You should be able to get a steel one (like a Sunstar?) for about $50. Not as light but it'll probably outlast your chain.

r6boater and SpeedyE like this.
  8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Speedy I need you to pm TJ @Riders dicount when you see this. Do it immediately. Do not NOT do it. Seriously. You'll see why.

SpeedyE likes this.
  9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

New Sprocket $60....... Leg ripped in half from a Jumped and Broken chain.... Well you get the point....

Gorilla George and BigBird like this.
  10. SpeedyE

Done! :beer:

BigBird likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

probably good just to buy a new chain and a front sprocket too. The chain will already have some lube to get you started :D

TLR67 likes this.
  12. This thread made me puke in my mouth a little.

flyboy, 418, bored&stroked and 6 others like this.
  13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Speedy, please keep posting your stupid motorcycle questions. It's entertaining as hell. :D

Actually I give you credit for at least asking a question. Most people are afraid to sound stupid so they just wreck shit.

G2G and BigBird like this.
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

But the interwebs said you have to change EVERYTHING same time. I saw it on gixxer.com.

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Then how does someone not quite mechanically skilled as you and others here actually learn about getting their bike ready? Seems to me the best bet would be to ask questions...no matter how stupid they may be...to learn. In my opinion, we as racers and wrenches who have been there, need to help the less learned out. Not belittle them.

Fencer, ChuckS, wrlamkin and 7 others like this.
  16. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Oh, and I'm truly not being a dick. Just a general observation.

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Speedy may be a lot of things, but he don't be little!

I'm here all night, try the veal...

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's no big deal. Lever asked dumber questions and lived to tell about it.

Dragginass, Johnny B and Lawn Dart like this.
  19. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I haven't heard from him in a while. Did he ever make it through med school?

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That comes after real estate school.

As for the sprocket, sure you can, the question is should you...survey says dumb idea.