1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda to kill the CBR600RR?

Discussion in 'General' started by Chip, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Chip

Chip Registered

First, consider the source. This is just a rumor....but the article has lots of truth in it.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/june/honda-cbr600rr-killed-off/

The OEM's have been competing against themselves in effort to "one up" the others that they have created product that is too complicated and too expensive, offering features that the consumer does not want and definitely does not want to pay for. The 600SS market is a perfect example. 600SS bikes used to be a base sportbike that were easy to ride and cheap to own. Now they have components and specification that rival or better 1000's from less than a decade ago.....and a cost that exceeds 1000's from a decade ago.

Maybe the consumer doesn't want upside down forks, multi adjustable suspension, radial brakes, slipper clutches, fly by wire throttles, 2 injectors per cylinder, variable stacks, Ti valves, Ti Rods, multi mode electronics, multi mode dash, ABS,TC,LC,SC,WC, and Autoblip? Maybe the consumer just wants a bike that looks cool and pops wheelies on the way to Hooters...

I predict the 1000 class is next. They are getting too expensive and too specialized to generate the sales needed to support their development costs.

Is this the beginning of the end for the modern sportbike? Thoughts?

5axis and V5 Racer like this.
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

More affordable would be a good thing IMHO. The non-racer cannot take advantage of all that the technology provides. A more simple "starter" class could also make racing more affordable.

3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Euro 4 is going to make a lot of companies pause I think. Triumph 675 is next IMHO. Seems as though the 600rr is good to go for the rest of the world though, they just didn't want to re-design the bike yet. It would be interesting to see if there is a breakdown somewhere of 600 vs 1000 sales.

4. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Perhaps this is the reason the dealership up the road a ways from me has theirs priced at just over $8k. Racers may love the current versions, but racers are the smallest percentage of buyers out there, and such bikes are already money losers for the manufacturers. There's a reason the F2/3/4 were such great sellers.

throwdown likes this.
  5. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Agreed. They need to make two models. Much like Ducati has been doing for years and what Yamaha is doing for the R1.

gt#179 and BigBird like this.
  6. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I think we all shoot ourselves in the foot by not having more superstock classes. I don't know why club racers want to spend the money on supersport builds, etc, just to be competitive in the classes.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

In the 600cc class? I don't know, that's still a good market for sales. For 1000s? Been yapping about them doing this for years. Look at the GSXR1000. BNG for years and it still sells well enough.

and before you racers get all sand in your crack, you don't really matter. You all buy what, 100 new motorcycles a year total? Let's include the trackday goofs, and say 200. Let's say 300 to be nice. That ain't shit and definitely not worth Millions in investment every 2 years.

oilslinger likes this.
  8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I'm not sure it will happen to the 1000cc machines. It does make a bit of sense with 200's, 300's, etc. becoming more popular, that the 600's are the bikes that lose out - for the reasons you mentioned Chip.

If you want cutting edge technology, get a 1000. For anything else, there are plenty of options on the market - including even dumbed-down 1000's. But as an OEM, maybe putting all the technology into a 600, just isn't financially feasible anymore..

condon66 likes this.
  9. Chip

Chip Registered

I sat in a meeting with BMW right before the S1000RR came out and we talked about a BMW S600RR and they just laughed. To build a competitive 600 (as good or better than an R6) the development and product cost would be as much as a 1000, but they can't sell the 600 for 1000 money, so less profit. What is the point?

Bruce, 5axis and obcbr like this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Exactly, El Chipo!

"Well, they could use the performance as a marketing tool and I'd buy one."
    No you wouldn't and they are not in business to support marketing, they are there to sell and make a profit.

11. Sportbikes aren't going anywhere, regardless of how advanced they are becoming or how much they cost. There will ALWAYS be people who want the most badass bike they can get, for racing, street, posing, whatever.

But, I do think we will see sportbike sales decline with the sport-standard machines becoming more popular and more sensible for the street.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Broome, you don't count. :D You got more money than brains and you're the exact sucker they created marketing for. :D

obcbr likes this.
  13. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Altough I can see the issue, and 600 slowly coming to an end, I am certain it wont be due to Euro4.

Noise emission? Just stick a huge muffler, a la panigale, and call it a day.
    Or restrict the ECU like the RCV213 and be done

Owners can always remove the muffler and by a zBomb or reflash the ECU and be back where it started.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

or is Honda conceding that they can't beat a 8 year old R6...so they are taking their ball and going home

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Been saying since '06 that there's no way the OEMs can be making any money on sportbikes. There's just too much tech and too many trick bits for the price. Ever consider that a Kawasaki Vulcan whatever model sells for more than a ZX-10R?

If the progression of 1000's lately is any indication, it doesn't look like that arms race is slowing down any time soon, but it seems like something has to give, and the something may be 600's.

On the other hand, the fact that Yamaha decided to jettison the Star brand says I'm wrong...

16. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

If that were the case, they'd cease their 1000 also.

I'd bet it's simply a matter of looking at overall sales. The smaller bikes are where the numbers are, across the globe. Wasn't it a few years ago, that the CRF-50 was the top selling bike in units? Might be off on that ..

17. I don't know about that, haha. But there are always people who want the latest, greatest, most badass bike. I don't think we will ever see a day when sportbikes are simply not available to the general public. At least not unless there are some ridiculous laws put in place by the govt that makes them illegal or some shit like that.

cpettit likes this.
  18. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Honda is pretty much the same since 07 also.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

i like this idea.....kind of dumbing down the class, and racers/track riders will pull off what doesn't work most of the time anyway.

20. I would be willing to bet if the tree huggers have their way, that wont be an option in the near future. If I'm not mistaken, there are already laws against aftermarket exhausts in California (or maybe there are proposed laws that are on the books, I cant remember for sure, but I remember reading about how at some point aftermarket exhausts will be illegal).