1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by GRH, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Hell, we'll make them pay for it. :beer:

2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Only in the fact he did so to prevent his own party fracturing and him losing the leadership.

Cameron and his government are unpopular and it is probably the case that a lot of voters used this as a way to protest against them, without fully understanding the consequences.

No one knows what will really happen in the future but I'm not too optimistic but one of the further ironies of this is that one of the main voices of the Leave campaign has now said that all the things that he claimed would happen if Britain stayed in the EU were only possibilities.

But they might come at a higher price than at present.

3. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And you fully understand the consequences?

Apparently not.

5. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I highly doubt the negotiations will go like that... The EU will punish them for leaving. Brits will be stuck in their own country unless they get work visas like the rest of the world.

Anyhoodle - still no Article 50 enactment, so it's moot at this point. They can move about freely until they actually hit the eject button.

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Uh...I wasn't saying anything.I was actually asking what problems you were referring to.......and yes, beebs sarcasm aside

7. FlynScotsman

FlynScotsman Well-Known Member

I think you are correct that they will seek a second vote and reach out to the EU, however I feel that it would not be in the best interest of the Scottish people.
    North Sea oil is not a big money maker ATM and the Scottish Parliament is big on social welfare programs. The 2 just don't add up but when has that been a reason to not press forward in politics????

8. FlynScotsman

FlynScotsman Well-Known Member

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

The [wealthy] Libtards are indeed having a meltdown over there and here......wonder if they're concerned about our upcoming election having a similar outcome.

12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

No shit! I especially like how all of the same people who said "thats the way it is. The Dems won and you have to deal with it" about that fucktard Obama getting elected are the same ones crying like little bitches and demanding a new vote for Brexit. Bunch of hypocritical whiney cunts...

13. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

All elections should be repeated as necessary until the results concur with my desires. It's only fair.

XFBO likes this.
  14. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

LOL, that's the way the Democrats like to do it. :beer:

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

CausticYarn, you may be onto something here. My confidence that this thing will actually go through has dropped to about 95% since Friday. That's not much, but I was firmly at 100%. :D

16. Robin172

Unlike the referendum for Scottish independence the way this one was written doesn't make it binding. The ridiculous thing is that both sides actually have no plans in place on how to negotiate the exit, excellent forthought there Messrs. Cameron and Johnson.

17. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting a Trump victory could lead to an economic downturn here because of his lack of support from the extreme right conservatives?
    I don't see it from an economic perspective but I do see the parallels as he has fractured the party.

Wasn't Cameron being pressured by conservatives to exit the EU?
    Why did he resign?

I hope they can make the transition go smoothly but they sure are off to a bad start.

18. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

What about the issue of negotiating before or after enacting Article 50? Will that be a sticking point?

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I knew that it wasn't binding. I just didn't see how they could possibly walk back on the results, though. What Prime Minister would have the balls to say "ya know what, this won't count"? It's not only political suicide, that's how people get shot.
    But Scotland could try to block it rather than just get out of the UK. And it would have a lot of allies in England. I'm thinking this cracks the door open to do the walk of shame back in.

It already is a point of contention between remaining EU members. Mrs. Merkel is trying to calm things down. The Frogs are suddenly remembering that they hate the English and are ready to pull the trigger. :D

20. Robin172

The only Prime Minister in my lifetime that would have the balls so to speak would have been Thatcher, but she was a Euro-sceptic anyway so that wouldn't have happened. Things could get really interesting if the Northern Irish start rocking the boat too.

Cameron was under pressure from the right wing of the Conservative Party but he was also afraid of his party losing votes to the UKIP in the next election thus losing control of the government. There are many members of the Conservatives who wanted to remain, there are also members of the Labour Party who wanted to leave, all parties allowed their MP's an open vote.

He resigned because he was pro-EU and doesn't want to be the one to enact Article 50.