1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk about your dog

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by David-imoddavid, May 27, 2016.

1. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

Looks like a lot here have either lost their dogs lately or are still trying to get through the loss. I lost mine 8 weeks ago and am going into the abyss of depression missing her. Perhaps talking about the good memories and some pics will help.

So in that light, tell us about yours.

ToofPic likes this.
  2. David-imoddavid

me and pee wee.jpg me and pee wee.jpg

This is from May 2010. She was a pit / chow mix.
    One funny story was when we played frisbee. I had one of those soft rubber ones so she could catch it without hurting her teeth. It also would flap up and down as she ran back to me to throw it again. It bounced up and down popping her in the face - no harm done just funny to see.

Once when coming back the urge to p hit and she dropped the frisbee, took a step and squatted peeing in the frisbee. When finished I told her to "get it" and she took a sniff, looked at me with a look that screamed " Are you freakin kidding me!?" turned and headed to the house. I miss my dog - my friend

ToofPic likes this.
  3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

What a cutie. What was her name? And lol on the Frisbee wee wee story!

David-imoddavid likes this.
  4. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

i just finished out nightly walk. tonight we saw 3 rabbits and he wanted hasenpherrer really really badly :)

5. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

StinkButt
    Plumpaluffagus
    Fatty Fat Fat Fat
    PorkRind
    Dumpster Butt

Those were just a handful of the many stupid nicknames I had for my little Pit Bull. I had her from the time she was a pup until cancer took her at age 12, which was about six years ago.. I still can't talk about her or look at pictures without getting misty eyed.

I'm sorry you lost your friend.

6. David-imoddavid

Her name was Pee Wee because she was the smallest in the litter. At her heaviest 62 pounds. Her mother topped out at just under 80 pounds. Her nickname was "lil girl" to which she also responded. Her mother was "big girl"

Pee Wee was 16 years 3 months old when she passed.

ToofPic and Yzasserina like this.
  7. David-imoddavid

We took nightly walks as well especially near her passing - helped keep her strength up.

I have a story about an encounter with a cat I'll post up later

8. David-imoddavid

I'm also sorry that you lost yours. Care to post a pic?

9. David-imoddavid

Pee Wee learned from her mother how to have fun chasing a basketball. Both would move the ball with their chest and direct it around trees with their front legs (somehow). It was something she cold do by herself or with me. I'd just tell her to "bring it here".. Was kinda like playing soccer with a pitbull. Somewhere along the way when I told her to "bring it" she wedged it up against the fence and bit into it - a habit she never stopped. So we eventually found a substitute as shown below. A very large plastic Easter egg. We'd buy a year supply at a time as she also insisted on biting into these also. pee wee and egg.jpg

10. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yeah. Look at my avatar. Skip the cat story? :p

11. David-imoddavid

The cat story.

We often walked around a nearby building that had a knee high hedge. One night she picked up a scent and went up to investigate. Sure enough a rather large cat popped out. It took a defensive stance and Pee Wee went crazy barking and pulling on the leash. But the cat stood its ground hissing. After about a minute of this, while Pee Wee was laser locked on the cat, I jumped at the cat and it ran off. Right after it ran, Pee Wee snorted, looked over her shoulder at me as if to say "I got him, dad. It's safe now."

Yzasserina likes this.
  12. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Faster than yours and corners low :)

Screenshot_2014-04-05-22-32-42-1.png Screenshot_2014-04-05-22-33-19-1.png

Attached Files:

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Greenhound386 likes this.
  14. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

so you are limited to 1 legged pugs eh?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  15. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    if you have a big red x an not a picture, let me know

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Where to start...?

This is Murray..
    [​IMG]

Murray was hit by a car a left for dead in field in Snellville, Ga. A vet tech at the clinic where a good Samaritan dropped him off was a childhood friend of my wife. She called us and asked us if we were interested. If they could not find him a home they were not going to fix him and would have to let him go. We had a dog that had separation anxiety issues so we thought another dog would help. It was the wife's birthday so we went over to see him. Here is a dog broken on his left side, both legs and some ribs and as soon as someone poked their head in the door that tail would start wagging fast enough to make curtains move. We, of course, said ok. The vets office covered the cost of surgery to repair his legs and we covered the meds and return visits. I swear that dog knew he had come close to death. I spent our first couple weeks sleeping on the floor with him and using a towel as a sling to help him walk out to relieve himself. He was a terribly happy dog once he was healed. He was also ambitious enough to father puppies while still in his casts. We lost him to a bloat incident. It was very hard on me. I spent the last week we had him just like the first week. Sleeping on the floor with him while he tried to recover. He past at an emergency vet facility on New Year day shortly after we left him at 11:30 that night.

His best trait was that he was the most obedient dog I have ever owned. As long as he could see you. If he walked around the corner and decided to take off through the woods he would immediately go deaf.

This is Carmen and Chester...
    [​IMG]

Carmen is the first dog the wife and I got once we started living together. She was in no uncertain terms my dog. I was looking for a Shar-Pei and went to look at her via an add in the local paper. She wasn't exactly what I was looking for but she had this look of "Please get me out of here" when the couple that had her let her out so I could see her. I gave them what they were asking and as they say that was that. I brought her home, set her in the floor and Robyn took one look at here and said "She's kind of ugly.". I can't imagine why the dog liked me more than her. She spent the first year we had her coming to work with me everyday. That was great but when I had to change jobs and she had to stay home the separation issue showed itself via the total destruction of our apartment. Murray was the solution and from the moment we brought him home she never destroyed anything again. In fact they were in separable in short order. Not to mention the above mentioned romantic involvement. A Saturday morning interlude that I became aware of by the frantic screaming of my young wife who had never seen 2 dogs doing the business. I stumble out of the bedroom expecting the place to be on fire only to see her pointing at 2 dogs stuck together in the backyard. She proclaimed that I do something and I asked if she like me to fondle his boys to help him finish up. That did not go over well. The result was 8 puppies. One of which we kept and named Chester.

Chester was decidedly my wife's dog. If she moved he moved. If she stopped he leaned against her or sat in her lap. He tolerated me would be the best way to describe it. You also did not want to enter our house if I was not home. He was not very friendly to others unless I was around. He would even grumble at me when I would come to bed late. He was her dog.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those 3 encompassed 16 years of our lives. Chester was lost to Cushing's disease and a tumor on his intestines. Carmen, the first one to arrive, was the last to leave us with a tumor that had grown too big to remove. They both passed away at home via euthanasia. Both in their favorite spots surrounded by the favorite person.

Having not vacationed together for 16 years we decided to take a small break from being dog owners and travel. That lasted about 6 weeks until the wife left for a week for work and I was at home....ALONE....with no one take outside, walk, feed or sit with me in my chair. I looked around at all the empty space and said this sucks. When she got home I said we are getting some dogs. So we looked around and found the girls at a rescue in Tennessee. We went and picked them up on my birthday. So the running joke was that the wife got me two girls for my birthday.

Powder and Puff...
    [​IMG]

They were rough when we got them. Not potty trained, no leash skills and a mountain of prey drive. If something moved they were after it. I worked on them for almost 2 months daily and finally got them to be really good on the leash and ignore most everything that moved. They quickly turned into my girls. Where ever I went...they went. This was great for me but the wife spent almost a year with no one sitting with her in the chair or following her around the house. So without my knowledge of it she went out and got two more. Oddly I had posted them on the BBS for the rescue org to try and find them a home.
    Little did I know it would end up being our home.

Maxwell and Maybelle....
    [​IMG]

I knew nothing about these 2 until she pulled in to the driveway with them. She went on a business trip, landed back in Atlanta and drove to Tennessee alone to pick them up. She called me from the car and told me I had to come out and meet someone. I got another girl and she got a boy that again goes everywhere she goes. She is the only thing that exists to him when she is home. He is a big old ball of goofy. His nickname is "Dump truck". When he gets to playing he has all the grace of a run away dump truck. Maybelle is the perfect little girl and never does anything wrong. Not that he does anything wrong either.

This group was tight and all moved around together. We coined them "The herd".
    [​IMG]

They all have big personalities and have brought us great joy. As much joy as they brought they brought equal sorrow as we said goodbye to 2 of them thanks to cancer. Powder and Puff passed away within eight months of each other. My two girls left a big hole in our lives when they left us. Maxwell and Maybelle are still with us and have been great teachers for the two that are being blended into the household for the last 4 weeks.

Suzzie and Sassie...
    [​IMG]

These are the new girls on the block. They are the glued together. Never more than 5 feet apart and terribly low key compared to Powder and Puff. They are almost perfect. If they will start curling up on the chair with me and keep my feet warm this winter life will be good.

We like to rescue and the last 6 have all come from the same rescue.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  17. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

My flyball guy. Currently 47th in points for Shelties. A total sweet heart who is to good for his own good sometimes. Though it has kept him from killing his evil brother LOL DSC_7503_reduced.jpg

Venom51 and David-imoddavid like this.
  18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I love how he's looking into the corner.

sheepofblue and R Acree like this.
  19. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

20. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137