1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Happens When Millenials Run the Workplace?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Lawn Dart, Apr 21, 2016.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Crappist

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Don't call Doyle in here

3. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

Well in Florida if you are young you are an idiot to do any kind of skilled labor as a kid in construction. Why would anyone in their right mind start at $10.00 an hour and top out at $20.00 here when you can start at Walmart for $10.00 an hour not get dirty, nor break a sweat.

I'm 37 and skilled in Masonary, drywall, carpentry , but stayed in roofing and metal fabrication the most. I still don't make the salary my boss made in the 90's . My boss was a Fabricator only. I fabricated, supervised jobs, and budgeted all expenses and still didn't make what my teacher made when I was a kid. I work my ass off and kept all my jobs at a 65% profit margin. I was still let go for an illegal immigrant who took $10.00 an hour for my job.

Granted he didn't last and they now have gone through 3 illegals who took my place and was fired or quit . They save money this way because even though the guys are messing up roofs. They cover it up and no one is the wiser.

SO why should any kid enter construction in the south? Now for CNC I would ove to learn that. If someone is hiring in the Tampa area let me know :)

4. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

You are a nice guy. I would have relentlessly complained and prodded INS to go after that former employer. I would have put Craigslist ads and created a web page about their indentured servitude hiring practices. Additionally, if I could prove the substandard work, I would do so publicly, maybe even getting the local consumer protection reporter fired up.

Again, you are a nice guy.

crashman likes this.
  5. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

I took Machine Trades as a HS major back in 83-84 as that was my chosen field I remember my instructor (a little German guy by the name of Werner Knopp) gave us a piece of square stock, some dimensions, and a flat file. All dimensions had to be + or - .001 when we were done...LOL..Bastard. Hell, our CNC Bridgeport still ran off a tape!! Turns out there were no jobs local when I got done but I got in to the controls/maint. end of things. Remember those days fondly, though!

6. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

This is Florida. if you called INS or anyone else you'd be laughed at. When I was younger you had to fight to get in the commercial trade. The company was a mixed bag of nuts . Legal Whites, blacks, and some puerto Ricans.

Now the company only has 1 black man and 2 white guys . You can guess who the other employees are now. Shit a funny note. The Supervisor there now is Illegal and has 8 family members working there now ....

7. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Seeing another ramification of the "look at me" generation... Our new "Performance Management" tool (review BS) has us basically "tweeting" and/or "posting feedback on an employee's wall"... Everyone gets their own page, and you post comments on their page using the web or a phone app... The feedback is literally in conversation balloons... :rolleyes:

8. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Your experience is a prime example of why we need to send the illegals back and enforce our immigration laws. America is for Americans, not every desperate third worlder looking to escape his shitty country. Those jobs should be done by our own men, with the wages paid going back to support American families, not cash remittances back to some shithole nation. Our government doesn't give a damn about working Americans and cares only for pandering to potential voters and huge companies that benefit from illegal labor. People are sick of these fuckstain politicians pandering and doing everything for the benefit of non-citizens, that's why Trump and Sanders are resonating. The rest of the world is not our problem. America is for the benefit of Americans, not foreigners.

9. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I have 3 generations of kids in my family: x, y, and millennial. The first 3 of us actually turned out pretty well. We had a work ethic driven into us with a belt and the thought of having to use super-extra-thick-maxis-without-wings for the rest of our teenage years. We were given everything we were needed - but if we wanted a name brand or something other than what my parents provided, we were to get a job and work for it. And damnit, we wanted tampons. We all hold down steady jobs as adults and have put purpose in our lives.

That changed with the younger kids. They were given everything they wanted. They bounce through jobs and generally expect life to just offer what they want. They are truly surprised and do NOT understand what happened when their chickens come home to roost. Epic melt downs as grown ass adults. The change is huge in a 10 year span. Now, this could be a cultural problem - or my parents just gave up after raising us older ones.
    :p

On a side note stemming from the technological aspect of being a millennial: An experience today made me realize how much we rely on technology to get us through. I was trying to figure out the draft angle on a part I was qualifying. I did every Google search I could think of and was getting more and more pissed off as I went because there were not step by step instructions on how to work the problem out. Just charts and assumptions you knew how to get to the middle. The 80 year old (okay more like 70) tooling engineer wanders up to ask me about another part I was working on and sees the steam boiling out of my ears. I asked him if he could help me out - in 3 minutes he walked me through what I was doing and explained it so I could do it again. Old school, long hand math formulas. Stuff I hadn't dug out of my spider filled brain for 15 years. The man darn near whipped out his slide rule :) It was a humbling experience for someone that generally relies on the Internet for everything unknown - we are a bit ego centric these days with how much information is at our fingertips.

10. CausticYarn

Fuck that. I would be pissed. I don't want anyone's public feedback on my performance at work.

11. chas

chas Well-Known Member

And here I was starting to think that all women folk were Hillary Clinton/Liberals... At least that's what MSNBC/ABC/CNN seem to think?

12. Lawn Dart

I don't think that's going to be a problem. I see the opposite. Why am I going to spend my time posting "good job - thanks for participating" on someone's "wall" when I have real work to do? My company has a problem with deserved recognition and its my belief that someone thought this up from seeing their daughter's Twitter page and all the positive reinforcement she got... or some shit...

13. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

[​IMG]

Lawn Dart likes this.
  14. Lawn Dart

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If only the CMRA had used this for their BOD.

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Do they have a "cunt" emoticon?

17. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Some of those appear to be infected.

19. Lawn Dart

What? (|) wasn't good enough?

20. CausticYarn

Probably got it from the Amazon compound. They do that shit. Everyone can gang up on you and get you fired with negative feedback. It is cut throat there. I encourage my employees to tell me how I can do better for them. They are the bread and butter for this company - but I don't put up with whiny knit picking BS. I have a job to do.