1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zuma Issues

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jeffr1ey, Apr 28, 2016.

1. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

So since the GNF I have had some issues with my Zuma. Initially, it will start right up and work fine, but then throughout the day it will start acting up and won't start. It almost seems like it is flooded, but when I check the spark plug it was fine. I also thought it could be the battery and replaced that. It was working fine during the Motoamerica round at Road Atlanta till toward the end of the day, where it would start up initially then just bogged down and die. I was unable to get it to start for the whole day after that happened.

But then after sitting in the garage for a couple of days, it started up just fine again. I even rode it to the tennis courts and played around for a couple hours. After we got done playing (2 hours later), same issue. Would sitting out in the sun for a few hours really affect its ability to start?

Any ideas on what it could be? Huey from Marietta suggested it could be the fuel pump, but if the fuel pump is bad would it even start at all?

It is a 2012 50cc 4-stroke and it doesn't even have a 1,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Is it stock?

I don't know much about the 4-stroke 50cc Zuma, but my 2-stroke was a complete pain in the butt until I finally got the carb setup just right.

3. jeffr1ey

yeah, it is stock. well it is fuel injection, so no carb. but yeah, it is completely stock.

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Does it start on the first Kick?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Check your vents from the fuel tank. Not sure what kind of fuel pump it has but yeah, it could stop working when it gets hot. Huey would have a pretty good idea on that one.

jeffr1ey likes this.
  6. jeffr1ey

yeah, when it has been sitting in the garage, it will start right up.

7. jeffr1ey

well he said it could be the fuel pump, i'll look into this a bit more. thanks.

8. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

The 125's went through a fuel pump issue, even a factory recall in some regions. In those cases the fuel pump would heat up and stop working, park it for an hour and it might start up again.

9. jeffr1ey

that sounds like what it is. because once it sits for a bit, it does start back up unless it is in the sun.. lol..

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There ya go. Check with a dealer and see if there was a recall.

11. jeffr1ey

just googled a bit and looks like the recall was on the 2009 125. nothing on a 2012 50. i may just buy a new fuel pump off amazon and swap it out. hopefully that addresses the issue.

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

does it have a charcoal canister?

that's the first thing i took off on my duc. wouldn't start after ar ride, fuel was warm, evaporated, vapes flooded the airbox, no start.

threw that out, now it starts every time.

13. jeffr1ey

not sure honestly, i'll have to look.