1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawn mowers: Honda vs Toro

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Apr 27, 2016.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Hey all-

I'm in the market for a mower and need something that will mulch the best. I really hate to bag the grass, but with my current mower (Troy Bilt Lowe's special) unless I'm barely cutting the lawn, the clippings just rattle around under the deck. It's a horrible mulcher. Supposedly the Honda HRX line is tops when it comes to mulching. I like the composite deck, too. No rust to worry about and it should clean up easy. The Toro Recycler line is also supposed to be good, although they are using a Briggs 160cc motor as opposed to the 190cc Honda motor on the Honda.

If you have either one of these mowers or recently bought a new mulching mower, please let me know what you chose and why. I appreciate it guys.

2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Honda. It mulches very fine. No clumps of stuff left over. And oh...

Because Grom.

I've always wanted to say that even though I don't own one of them fugly little chick bikes. Lol

(i'm gonna catch hell for that one)

3. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I have a Toro Recycler which is well over 10 years old (maybe 14yrs old) and considering I've only changed the oil a few times, it's been bullet proof. In regards to mulching, it does a great job.

I would buy another.

Edit: FWIW, the only other thing I did to the mower in all those years was a new spark plug and last year replaced the drive belt.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

It's a package deal.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I have a Honda self propelled and it was like $450 plus. Doesn't cut as well, lacks the adjustments of and cost like $200 more than the el cheapo bagger it replaced.

Honda quality? meh!

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Had a Craftsman Honda. Supposed to be able to bag, mulch or discharge. If by mulching they meant clogging then, yes, as advertised. :D

Seriously, tho', I used that thing to clear underbrush...I ran over everything. In the mean time, the grass grew too long to mulch so I just let it fly through the discharge chute.
    Eventually whacked a bearing (main output, rod ?) while running over hidden stuff too many times. I'll rebuild the engine but the chassis is toast, along with the drive system.

Take a look at the blades and the underside of the deck. If it looks like a deep-dish blender, you're in. Flat blades and flat decks don't mulch well.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. G 97

G 97 Garth

I picked up the Honda HRX 217 model just last year. At first I was looking at the cheapo models as I was replacing a self propelled Craftsman with a Briggs that I salvaged from our local "put it on the curb throw away day". It served me good enough but after three years it started leaking a small amount of oil and when the starter rope broke one day - it was time to put it back on the curb.
    I Wanted to get a John Deere but Deere stopped making them. At first I was looking at the el cheapos but after some research I found out that some Brigg engines were receiving terrible reviews for fouling plugs and being hard to start and the more research I did the Honda started standing out.

At first the thought of a $750 push mower seemed crazy and it still might be, but after mowing with it for a year I think it has a lot of value.
    I got the pull start model because it starts on the first pull and I didn't feel that paying for electric start was worth it.
    Composit deck is durable and light.
    Variable speed self propell to match any walking speed you need, with solid gear drive. Not belts.
    190 cc engine has plenty of power.
    Blade brake clutch means you can let go of mower and the blades will stop but engine keeps running.
    Stacked twin blades make this thing a mulching machine. I've never had a better mower cut tall grass as good as this does. Mulching is extremely good. The twin blades cuts the grass into fine pieces. No clumps.
    You can select full mulch or full bagging or any combination in between.
    Rear discharge if you don't want to bag or mulch.
    It certainly has exceeded all of my expectations and I fully expect it to be the last push mower I buy.

Got it online out of Chicago. Fast free shipping, no tax. Unboxed it, set it up, put in oil, started first pull.

They even sent me the racing version. :D
    [​IMG]

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

This is a Hose A vs Hose B argument.

ChemGuy and R Acree like this.
  9. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

I have had a briggs powered craftsman push mower for about 8 years. I sharpen the blade at least one a year, but that is about it. I added oil once and knocked the grass out of the air filter once as well. Starts on the first pull. After setting over winter, takes 2 pulls. Mulches just fine, bags just fine as well. I haven't had any rust yet. I can't think of anything I don't like about it. Was around $180-200 new.

10. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

I bought the same HRX217 about a week ago. It works great, now that I bypassed the safety devices with cable ties!

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

12. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

13. retro53

retro53 Active Member

I had to store my pullstart Honda mower over winter and it became even harder to start. Usual carb drain and 20-30 pulls every use. Dealer charged $250 to service it and no improvement. Gave it away after 4 years and bought a 4stroke Lawnboy. Much lighter weight and it starts. And has a mulching plug but I bag as mulch does not rot in Calgary.

14. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm leaning towards the Honda. Regarding bypassing the safety devices, would you mind snapping a pic to show me what you did? Thanks.

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I bought a Honda mulching mower last year. I forgot to do maintenance, it fired up last week on the 2nd pull.

16. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

Sure, when I get home.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, I'll give them that. I need to scrub it down because it's looking rough and get it serviced but it fired right up with left over shit gas right away.

I just wish it had more level adjustments but I think I'd buy another when I manage to kill this one.

18. Phl218

Phl218 .

which ever you get, make sure to put an LED light bar on it :D :D

just because

Attached Files:

19. No idea what kind my lawn service uses :)

SpeedyTide likes this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

If you get the model with the blade brake clutch, you won't need to bypass the safety feature. The blades will stop, but the engine will keep running. There are about six or seven different 217 models each with different features etc.
    http://www.mowersdirect.com/quick_search.php