1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 vs. R1M as Racebike build

Discussion in 'General' started by 2OLD2BFAST, Mar 16, 2016.

1. 2OLD2BFAST

2OLD2BFAST Well-Known Member

Okay, I swear I searched before posting and could not find what I needed, but I apologize in advance if there is a post out there covering the same!

Is the basic R1 (not the S) the bike to build a race bike from, or are the suspension advantages of the M such that it would be the better starting point? Or are the electronic Ohlins moot as they are still getting replaced for racing purposes?

Obviously things like the bodywork on the M is useless and the data gathering/sharing can be upgraded on the base bike, but which one would you start with and are there any class limitations to the M model?

Thanks in advance!

2. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I think the just is going to be that the M has upgraded parts and will remain SS legal with those parts. You put those same parts on the non-M and it is a Superbike.

Is that what you were curious about?

Marc16S1000rr likes this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Even on the R1M racebikes I've seen in various photos in other race orgs around the world (you could tell by the caliper color and Ohlins forks), they had gutted the forks for Ohlins gas carts and swapped out the electronic shock.

Seems the regular R1 is the wiser choice if you are going to use it just for track. Money (~$7K) saved could be put towards upgraded suspension, exhaust, bodywork. All of last year I saw a decent amount of new R1's at the track, none were M-models.

4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

All depends on how much the extra bits will improve lap times.

5. 2OLD2BFAST

2OLD2BFAST Well-Known Member

Thx. If the fast guys are ditching or gutting the suspension pieces of the M, then it sounds like the money would be wasted and $7k would go a long way toward track prep on the base bike. Of course now we have price parity with the new 10R which would be another question altogether...

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The
    The rumor mill is swirling... But nearly all the engine builders are getting big numbers out of the 10R. If it handles, the Yammie is trouble.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

EDR just put up a vid of a '16 10R with an Arrow 3/4 system, reflashed ECU and U4 in the take.....turned 196hp on their dyno.

DWhyte91 and BigBird like this.
  8. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Jeremy Toye was out on a new 10R at last months CVMA race hauling ass. Definitely looked like it had some power.

9. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Get the regular R1. Thermosman told me nobody's racing the 'M' above novice with the electronic suspension in place.

In retrospect, I wish I'd gone that route.

10. Suburbanrancher

Seeing R1's putting out similar with a flash and Graves 3/4.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

But they are not Team Green :bow:

12. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

I know of 3 zx10's right at 200hp or more on pump gas, and all over 200 on race fuel.
    Same dyno my r1 dynoed 187 zx10 did 200.

13. Suburbanrancher

[​IMG]

Buddy of mine's R1M. Pump fuel, reliable dyno and operator.

14. Suburbanrancher

True, true....

But my M build is coming along quite awesome :beer:

BigBird likes this.
  15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Insane power coming out of these bikes today!

16. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

Maybe I need this guy lol

17. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Care to share who the operator might be? I've heard good things about the MWR filter.

18. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Those are good numbers. I thought the R1's were in the 180's after exhaust/tuning. :beer:

19. Does the M come with lighter wheels than the base R1?

That might be something else to consider if you are the kind of person who worries about shit like that. I know the Panigale-S model comes with lighter wheels than the base model. You can of course change the wheels, but then it wont be SS legal.

20. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Nope