1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on side by sides...Polaris RZR's

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Mar 5, 2016.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Some of my old, washed up racing buddies have gotten side by sides.

So naturally, I must get one. Peer pressure and all.

Looks like a '16 Polaris RZR S 1000, is the trails beast of choice. The XP 1000 is longer and wider. Better for more open areas, dunes, not so tight/twisty trails.

Anybody else into these cagers? They're pretty freakin' incredible in what they can do. Some gnarly chit on youtube.

Accessories is a must. Winch, 4 pt harness, roof, lower doors, bumpers, rock sliders/nerf bars thingys, windshield, suspension revalve, spare tire, toolbox, stereo....another $5k in accessories right off the rip

2. 418

418 Expert #59

Straight fucking garbage.

Go with the new Yamaha.

Thank me later.

3. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

4. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail. Narrower so it is trail friendly, and they work pretty good according to a couple of guys around here.

5. gapman789

Yamaha is straight junk from every review, video Ive watched. Open sand dunes, its ok. With the manual clutch and woods riding, it is not even in the same ballpark as the RZR. RZR walks circles around it in 90% of riding condition/areas.

My buddy has the cat 1000 now. He had a RZR, but tried the new AC and absolutely hates it. They go to Windrock in TN and he has problems every time out. He said he was taking it home, cleaning it, and selling it.

RZR S 1000 is new for 2016. Its as quick as the XP 1000 and better in the trails. Standard trail width is 60" ( S 1000) when new trails are cut. the XP 1000 is 64".

Youtube some YXZ 1000 videos...they struggle on any hill climb, especially with rocks, while the RZR's just climb. Imagine being stuck on a 60 degree hill with a manual transmission, and you cannot afford to roll backwards an inch....no way jose. Those yammis burn clutches like a crackhead burns glass pipes.

Again, on open land, dunes, field, asphalt...maybe a YXZ, but woods/trails/hills....its gotta be a RZR.

6. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Get friendly with your local parts guy at the dealership . They live and breathe off of broken side by sides.

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You know it's kind of like asking who makes the best oil. We all know mine is the best. I know didly about the RZR side by sides, but Polaris make an awesome snowmobile!

8. gapman789

Ya, thought maybe a few yahoos on here have or have had them. RZR's seem to be the industry leader by far.

Can Am's suck. Arctic Cat sucks. Yammi sucks....I just watched a 1/2 dozed vids of burnt clutches just from a little water. Dudes on youtube are having a field day videotaping and making fun of the Yammis that can't go up the simplest of hills and water crossings. Rekluse clutches aren't fixing the problems either.

9. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

You couldn't be more wrong about the Yamaha, but it's your money so get what you want. Do you want to ride around slow with no helmet and a beer in one hand, the the RZR is your machine. If you want to go and flat out shred, there is only one choice, brand Y. Riding the Yamaha in tight trails is no different than riding a dirt bike in the trails. What happens when you stop on a hill? You don't!

You need to put the SxS crowd in perspective. Most are not racers and very few have the skill to drive a manual transmission correctly. Imagine if you put the normal Harley rider on a RS250 and tell them to go out and do laps. Think they would fry the clutch? 99% chance they would all the while telling you how well they can operate a manual transmission.

60 inch sxs's give up ride quality, the 50" trail models are good for nothing except slow rides in the woods. Even then, the short wheelbase gives a harsh ride. Most trails are wide enough to fit a 64" wide SxS. Trail restrictions are changing quick and what used to be a 60" rule is changing to a maximum weight rule. Gates are being taken out.

Don't listen to the Internet but instead do this. Go to model specific forums and read what actuall owners say and talk about. The Polaris guys have been trolling every yxz website since its release and have spread stupid unfounded rumors. They take every chance to show a yxz being towed and it goes viral. Just read the RZR forums and if you really still want one of those Polaris models, be prepared to have it in the shop monthly and make sure you buy the extended warranty.

10. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

True words for researching any type if vehicle.

11. gapman789

Again, tight woods, big rocks, creek beds, steep hills, slooooow stuff...not dunes, rolling hills or highways. I quit drinking 9 yrs ago so no double fisting of beer. I have motox helmets and gear....over the boots dry FOX pants, etc.. and a 4 pt harness will be the lst accessory.

The RZR S 1000 is 60". The RZR XP 1000 is 64" but is also 11" longer. The XP does have more travel with Walker Evans shocks vs FOX shocks on the S 1000. Power is the same. Price is damn near the same, but for woods/trails, the S 1000 seems to be the choice.

I get the 'dirtbike' on a hill comparison. I also get the comparison of a 4 stroke quad vs a 2 stroke, manual quad on a steep ass hill. Sometimes you just gotta let off or stop. I used to do hare scrambles on Suzuki LT 250 R quads 100 yrs ago.

And I am on the SxS forums. Been researching my ass off for a month. I research how to properly turn a door knob before I make that decision. I'm doing my homework without a doubt.

Its hard to dispute the videos of fried clutches and a RZR walking by the stranded yammi in the creekbed. I haven't found a single vid where a XYZ outperformed a RZR other than wide open country. Yammi is having a lot of quality issues from what i'm reading on the forums. 5" welds missing on the frames from the factory?

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

For what it's worth, Polaris ATV's are a good steady source of work for us shop owners.

cav115, pjdoran and terminus est like this.
  13. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

RZR 1000S would be your best bet for woods/trails. I've got a lowly '14 800S. Put a roof, winch, half-windshield, proper skids, and a lift kit on it. It does everything I need it to do around Windrock and Royal Blue. Have yet to get stuck or break anything, although my son flipped it on it's side once. Wife usually drives it with one of the kids while I'm zipping around on KDX. Thinking about picking up a 1000S for me and let wifey keep the 800S, but that opens up needing more room in garage and a bigger trailer...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  14. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Sounds like your mind is made up. The only clutches fried are from people that don't know how to drive them. No quality issues with the Yamaha. Tell ya what, go to a dual line dealer and look over both machines. Make sure you look under them both.

YXZ's are not just for the dunes. I live in Western PA, not a lot of open desert here. I've done hundreds of miles at the Hatfield McCoy trails in WV with big rocks, rough trails and steep hills. Had no issue and clutch is just fine.
    I also don't use the Rekluse.

Enjoy your RZR.

JJJerry and 418 like this.
  15. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

The amount of metal that comes out of a Polaris sxs on the first oil change is amazing.

pjdoran and 418 like this.
  16. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I can't compare brands but I know that when I do my annual Moab 4x4 trip for a week, we rent rzrs for one of the days and absolutely shred. I'm talking car and motorcycle racers driving them hard and they take everything we throw at them. What a rzr can do is mind boggling.

17. gapman789

I got an '03 KDX too....no wifey be driving anything though. lol.

Ive a quote from a dealer for $15,194 for a '16 S 1000. The same dealer gave a deal to a guy near me for the same model that included, 5yr ext warranty, winch, roof, windshield, $18.5 out the door.

18. gapman789

The videos of what these things can do really is mind boggling. They just don't seem capable by looking at them.
    That's just break in metal. Superfine nitrite fork plating for smoothness in the cylinders...errr something like that.

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

As Patrick Swayze said in Roadhouse…"opinions vary!

People sure get passionate about bragging or bashing another brand. I'm sure they all have the pros and cons, I do find it hard to believe that the Yamaha is junk.

20. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Sounds pretty decent for that package deal. They're fun machines for sure. Kinda like a midget Jeep. We don't go WFO through the trails. Just casual exploring and looking for rocky, rutted hills to climb. Generally don't go looking for the deepest mud hole either. Like I said, ours has been reliable. If we'd beat on it, looked for sweet jumps, and mud bogged it, I'm sure we'd have broken something by now. It could do it, but it's not a trophy truck and we don't treat it like one.

Will warn ya, if ya go playing on muddy trails for 3-4 hours, you'll be cleaning it up another 3 hours, depending on how "Broome" you are :)