1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hearing Protection For Shooters

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, Feb 7, 2016.

1. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I have been looking at electronic ear muffs to wear at the range. Currently I have been using Howard Leight L-3 30 NRR passive muffs along with foam plugs. I always double up to help reduce the noise as much as possible. I have tinnitus in my left ear and am on the borderline of noticeable hearing loss, so I want to protect as much as possible.

Does anyone have experience with the Pro ears brand and/or the Howard Leight Impact Pro? I have been looking at both, but there is a big price difference. Are the Pro ears worth the extra money? If not these, what else does anyone like? Also, does the noise canceling effect of the electronic muffs make them more effective than the passive type? I mostly shoot pistols, so the larger size is not necessarily a problem.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

What?

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If you're not shooting a Judge inside a shipping container, foam and muffs should be more than enough.

I just wear muffs and hardly hear more than a puff unless there's an assbag blowing +P+ next to me.

TurboBlew and Shenanigans like this.
  4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I use the Howard Leight impact pros with custom plugs underneath when shooting pistols or working the line. Electronic muffs allow me to hear conversations and doubling up gives better protection. Just can't seem to get muffs to work when shooting prone on the rifle.

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I have the Howard Leight's somewhere in a spare range bag. I always shoot outdoors these days, so plugs are more than enough for me. That said, they work fine. I actually really like the fact they shut off after a few hours. My previous set I never remembered to turn them off and always had dead batteries.

6. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

+1 on the impact pros and foamies. Until I can afford MSAs that's how I roll.

7. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Peltor tactical sports are a lot better than the Howard's but they cost a bit more. MSA sordins are nice, comfortable with the gel cushions but also cost about $300. I have used both but run the peltors. Electronics are definitely the way to go. So much better being able to hear what's going on around you especially if you shoot at a public range.

8. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Usually just basic muffs. When I take the .50 out though, ear plugs and muffs.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

basic industrial types and correctly fitted plugs should be plenty of protection. With those I can barely hear anyone talk not 2' from me. At an indoor range... quells the noise to a very dull thud on .4o or .45 calibers that I shoot. However when you take the ear muff off... you will notice a significant amount of noise with just plugs.

10. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I don't know about the electronic stuff, but if you're looking for good ear plugs, I recommend Moldex Pura-Fit 6800. Having spent a few years as an RSO and tried just about every brand of plug available, they're the best-fitting, most sound-killing plugs I've used.

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

.50BMG.
    :cool:

The percussion reverberates inside your head and, while that's going on, you're having an out-of-body experience. :D
    All happens in the time it takes to squeeze that little trigger.

Military flanged earplugs, or should I say...
    "Sound suppression, earplug, personnel, flanged, container, applicator, size *, 2 each, reusable". :lol:
    earplugs.jpg
    Had mine since '83, use for riding, too. They're color-coded for size...green/small, orange/medium, blue/large. The top of the case acts as an "installation" tool, as well. They set quick, quick to install and are, obviously, long lasting. Pick 'em up for 35ยข.

Can't stand "mickey mouse" ears. Not hip to twistin' up foam with grubby fingers, as usually happens at the range or the track.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Supressors.

13. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

I've got a set of Peltor electronic muffs and really like them. They're comfy for hours and the noise cut works very well. My one complaint would be that the soft ear cups are a little thin depending on what eye protection you wear. Occasionally I'll get a gap in the seal and need to readjust a bit.

14. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I use the Howard Leight (sports I think?) with foamies underneath. It's awesome to hear normal conversation with the amplification then the noise canceling kicks in at greater than 80db. My only gripe with over the ears is they don't seal with a cheekweld (as someone else said) when precision shooting a rifle but wearing the earplugs underneath covers you.

Now that gun mufflers are legal here, I'll be getting my first one hopefully soon.