1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rains in dry?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Rob P, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

long story short. I'm having trouble generating enough heat in the front tire on my mini motard. I bought a set of rains for flat track use but am thinking about running them on the kart track. Anyone run rains in the dry on a light weight bike?

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

What bike is this and whats your current setup?

3. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Kx100, fox sealed cartridges and shock, don't recall actual spring rates but they are correct for my weight. Forks are as high in the clamps as I can get them (they are hitting the bars). 17" 2.5,3.5" wheels with tubes. I ran pressures down to 14psi to get heat. Below 14psi the edge would roll over the rim.

4. noles19

Are the forks shortened?

5. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

No, stock length. Rather not shorten them as the bike pulls multiple duty.

6. noles19

Honestly for as long as you've been chasing this problem, I would spend the 200$ and get a set of forks for just supermoto and flat track, and have them set up.
    Then I f you use the bike for off road or mx just swap the forks when you swap the wheels.

7. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

I ran rains, in the dry, on an R1, for a 3 hour endurance at Nelsons. It didn't work well...

8. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I haven't been riding it much so I haven't been working on it. I think the problem is the track layout/surface and bike weight. There just isn't enough heavy breaking to generate heat.

9. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Put those same slicks on a something like an ex250 and that is more of what I am dealing with.

10. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I tried that years ago with a YZ 80 motard. It sure heated up faster than the slick, but wore badly and really sucked on the brakes.

11. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Theres a picture floating around somewhere that shows how that ended. Good stuff.

12. noles19

Pm cam Moorhead on here, he might have a better option for you.

13. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

It ended with a first place trophy if I recall! But not without a trip sliding through the mud out of 13. The tires are probably still on the tire wall by pit-in...

14. nitto182

nitto182 Well-Known Member

What tires are you currently running?

15. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Bridgestone 125gp slicks, softest compound.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Switch to BT45s. I can actually get some heat into them with a TT-R 125.

17. nitto182

nitto182 Well-Known Member

What he said.

18. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Bt45 in 17" are 110/80 which seems big. Plus they are more expensive than the Sava/mitas tires which are supposed to be really good. They also have a mini motard specific tire as opposed to GP tires which are just a different performance envelope.

19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the Sava / Mitas 17s so I can't comment on them. I do run the BT45s in 110/80R17 front and 110/90R16 rear (V compounds) and they've worked well for me. I race against other minis running 125GP rubber and I'm not short on traction to them. I actually prefer the BT45 up front compared to the 125GP rubber when I tried it on my machine, I had the same issue that I couldn't get enough heat in that GP rubber to make it work. The BT45s are absolutely larger OD and heavier, but not enough to erase the improved perf I get with them.

If you do try the Savas / Mitas tires, post up what you think of them.