1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you can't paralell park or back up a trailer....

Discussion in 'General' started by Repo Man, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

And need electronic assist to do so:

You should not have a license to drive.

That is all.

jt21, DirtNap and Wheel Bearing like this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I can't parallel park worth a shit. Haven't had to in decades. :D

3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

If you can't spell "parallel" correctly, you should not be allowed to post on a BBS.

That is all. :p

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

GAAHHH!!! Fuckin BURN!!! :D

5. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I agree with posts 1 and 3.

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Parellel parking a trailer would be hard.

My wife lived in Philadelphia while we were dating. I was a fucking parallel parking Jedi during that time - and that was in a hilly neighborhood with manual transmission.

7. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

So, not getting the 2016 F150? Just remember all that shit can be switched off or ignored. And the one time that the wife has to back that trailer up for you will pay for all that stuff.

Between our two cars I've had to switch off a couple "aids", on both the one where the vehicle applies the brakes for you when too close to another vehicle in front, that one is horrible and embarrassing when you're in stop and go city traffic and trying to switch lanes and the brakes jam half way b/n lanes just because the vehicle is moving and there's less than 5 feet bumper to bumper, that's anything but safe in my book

Lane departure warnings are cool, they have fixed some of my wife's distracted driving habits. Adaptive cruise is really nice for longer drives and with lane keeping assist you can "drive" for many miles without having to actually apply any steering wheel or pedal input.

And before I get hammered for being soft behind the wheel, I was 21 when I acquired my cdl license and parallel parked a trailer in front of a state trooper. Haven't driven anything with commercial plates in more than 5-6 years, although I still enjoy driving with a trailer in the back of my truck.

8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I have mixed feelings about all of the electronic aids offered. In the long run it is going to make people even worse drivers than they already are as the next generation of drivers know nothing but the electronic gizmo wondercars but it will probably prevent a few distracted driving fender benders. I would rather see more stringent licensing requirements than all of the fancy gadgets. But I also think that people who can not drive a vehicle with a manual transmission should not be allowed on the road...

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid:

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Electronics are great when they "know" what's happening. It's when they think they know what's happening and react wrong that things get dicey.

Our newest vehicle is a 2007 with traction control. I like the TC at highway speeds in snowy conditions, but off the highway, it's too intrusive.

11. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

My new car has blind spot warning. That is one driver aid that is handy. But, when I switch to my other car that doesn't have it, I need to remind myself to double check the blind spot. So, it's a good aid but these things do make you more lazy.

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Just buy a boat and use it... Problem solved

13. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I actually hate the blind spot warning on cars that have it in the side mirror with an illuminating light. Chime is fine but even then it's annoying at slow speeds in stop and go traffic when you know there are cars all around you but still need to switch lanes. At night anything blinking in your own mirrors annoys the hell out of me.

And TC is always off in my car, far better driving experience for me. Mostly on in my truck as the diesel likes to spin the rears.

Bumper sensors and 360 camera view are great IMHO, very useful on larger vehicles.

What I really fuckin hate are the wipers that come on by themselves and listening to morons list that as one of the things on their new ride. How come I've never forgotten to put my wipers on in rain and snow ??? That and auto headlights, drive with your lights on at all time! I can't drive with my lights off during the day, always on.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I don't recall any time during my driver's license test that a trailer was hitched up to my car and I was asked to parallel park or back up with it.

......or were you referring to someone with like a commercial drivers license?

15. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

16. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Strangest thing. I can't parrallel park a small car for anything. A crew cab dually I can fit in a parking space that is barely any longer than the truck. But any little car I have ever had I struggle with.

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Parallel parking was a test requirement when I got my DL...of course that was back in '67....I could haul my Dad's '66 Chrysler Newport (23 ft long?) into a tight spot in one try. Big windows and low shoulders made it easy to see out. My new Explorer is a different story, can't see any of the corners.

18. Repo Man

I think speeling Nazis should not be allowed to post. :)

19. Repo Man

Did not feel a thing. :cool:

20. Repo Man