How dedicated to your job are you?

Discussion in 'General' started by DWhyte91, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Still plenty of stupid ones. Guess what ... People are stupid. Rules built to protect them are generally just as stupid. They have to be.

2. sdg

sdg *

The kool-aid tastes good doesn't it?

crashman likes this.
  3. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Well, when you have another person who could be deemed "competent" but, can't be used as your competent person that day because he wasn't the original competent person, I think it is stupid.

You don't have to agree, but the litigiousness of society is the reason we have ridiculous osha laws, (in my opinion) but I'm not going any further since this is in general.

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

If you work for me, you don't decide when you work and when you don't.

Why should your coworkers suffer because you had a bad morning? Your morning sucked, so did theirs since they were a man short. The difference is, you got to jerk off all day and they had to do your job.

I'd fire you at worst and start looking for your replacement at best. Just being honest.

5. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I don't hire people that would have that long of a commute. I don't care how good they are. We get a lot of snow where I live and it's just setting us both up for failure to have someone drive that far everyday. Too many things can happen from the time the individual leaves his house to the time he sets foot in the door at work. First thing I check on any resume that looks decent is their commute. I'll go 60 minutes and that's pushing it.

6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Yes, fire him before you found a replacement. That way, all the other guys have to pick up the slack.

Fucking brilliant.

7. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Lol. I'm on time everyday. 90% of our workforce commutes, it's the way it is. I work with an "apprentice" however he's a liscened tech the same as I am but not being paid the rate because of politics. The job is so far in the hole because the company failed to deliver material for months but had to have workers on site to get paid (I wasn't part of the original crew and was sent into the mess to fix it). Me not being at work for one day didn't ruin the schedule and guess what, calling out a competent worker for some bs like this takes moral and flushes it down the toilet. My supervisor has 20yrs in the trade and I worked on his jobs prior to him getting this poisition. He caused the company to have a lawsuit against them because his work was so terrible.

Shit happens and ONE DAY calling in shouldn't be a huge issue if you don't have multiple people relying on you. One day with one guy working that had plenty of menial bs tasks to keep him busy who is a liscened tech should be enough to keep the ball rolling.

Ps I can't be fired for taking a "sick day" and this is one of the things that a union is good for. Fucking around day in and out is a whole other story. Not making it to work a single day (I've been working for this company for 9yrs and I'm not "that guy") is a bullshit reason to fire anyone.

8. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I'm curious why the "other" person you mention couldn't have been used as the "competent" person that day? Is there an OSHA or California OSHA regulation against it or ?????

9. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I would have done the same thing.

10. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Call it what you want, but the OSHA regs. serve a purpose to help reduce the number of accidents and fatalities that occur every single year/month/day in the workplace. That may not mean a whole lot to you.........unless you are the one that doesn't make it back home at the end of the day!

11. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

So tell me this....

If I have to tie off for a drop of 6 foot (or more) why do I, a 210lb man, have to tie off to a tie out that will support 5000lbs?

And as an added bonus, my tie off harness has a bungie or 6 ft and I am 6 ft 2. So I will be on the ground before my harness catches me.

Osha rules. No, not stupid at all

12. sdg

sdg *

Yep, you'll bounce your head on the ground on some of this stuff.

I just sat through my msha re-cert. Instructor was talking about how he expects to see mandatory osha cards in the near future. What a joke. Too many people making too much money in the name of federalized, commercialized safety.

13. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I'm sure you get awesome performance and morale out of your team with this attitude. Nothing like a supervisor who lets the team know he's more important than his people.

Skter505 likes this.
  14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You'd be terribly disappointed at my lack of caring about you firing me.

crashman likes this.
  15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

There were two options, but thank you for the compliment.

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

You're wrong. I acknowledge that I'm the least important person on my team. I produce no direct revenue. I am effectively a drain on the company.

My people are much more important than me, which is why it's imperative that they do what it takes to get to work when they're needed. Their jobs are important, and barring illness or emergency, I expect them to honor their side of our agreement. They hold me to the same standard and expect that I honor my commitments to them as well.

My employees produce at a very high level and morale is quite high, even right now when we're forcing overtime and everyone is overworked. We don't experience the power struggle between supervisors and subordinates described here because the employees have my utmost respect. I've earned theirs in return by being honest with them and making clear exactly what is expected of them, and what is unacceptable.

Mike Kelly and eggfooyoung like this.
  17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I will walk thru fire if needed but if nothing is going on and i got tubelocked in transit i would blow the rest of the day off in a heartbeat.

18. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

You need to do some research and find that the lanyards that you would use in that situation are the ones that are shorter (3' if I remember correctly) and have a built in expandable shock, or make use of the retractable lanyards that will "catch" when experiencing a fall........kind of like a seat belt shoulder harness operation in a car/truck......you lean forward with it slowly and it lets you move, you make a quick/sudden movement and it locks up. And the reason for the 5000 lb tie off point is that when using a standard lanyard without the shock absorbing ability and a 200 lb person falls, by the time you get to the end of that 6' lanyard, you are exerting over 2500 lbs of pressue on the components....so there is a built in safety factor there. Oops........2400 lbs.......not 2500

Something else that you are doing wrong is using a tie off point that is way too low for the level that you are working at, in you example above. There are charts that show the various measured distances for a tie off point that will provide a safety margin to keep you from hitting the ground during a 6 foot fall.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Good post. I think everyone should be self employed at least once in their lives.

JBraun likes this.
  20. I fly/travel anywhere between 30-45hrs to get to work and deal with jetlag/time change that fucks me up for 3 days. Quit yer bitchin'. :D