1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New leathers?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Oct 13, 2015.

1. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Let me clarify the D-Air system is the best available. I keep looking at it trying to determine if I should go for it. It only lacks a little for ribs and back in comparison to the revised but not available Tech Air system that MotoGP guys wear. If it had that there would be no hesitation for me.

2. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Seriously? You don't think they would love to be able to release it? Last time I checked they are in business to make money so if they were able to sell it I'm pretty sure they would.

Personally I'm mad at Red Bull, they keep advertising this F1 car that I see on TV but I can't buy one yet :mad: :D

3. The thing is, tethered systems won't help you if you are still sitting on the bike.

The 2nd time I shattered my collarbone I lost the front while damn near vertical. I was immediately slammed down on my shoulder, while still sitting completely in the seat, both feet on the pegs, etc. A tethered system wouldn't have activated, the D-Air will.

It is relatively expensive compared to the tethered systems or conventional suits. But I have had 2 different compound collarbone fractures that both required extensive surgery and I missed a hitch at work both times. I could have bought and fully race prepped 2 Panigale 1299S's for what I have lost in wages from those collarbone fractures.

For me, the price of the suit is nothing compared to what it could potentially save me. But that is something each individual has to decide for themselves.

Keep in mind the airbag system is meant to compliment your normal protection. The suit (airbag aside) is a great suit, with lots of internal and external armor built into it. Based on the quality and protection of the suit, I would pay that price for them even without the airbag system.

But like I said, the airbag is additional protection, it doesn't replace your normal stuff. The D-Air suit comes with a Dainese race-spec back protector. The back protector is designed/shaped so that comes up to right below where the airbag stops. So you get full back/shoulder/collarbone protection with the 2 of them. Then you just have wear your normal chest protector.

4. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

For those of you that are interested, I just checked on our D-air order and it has shipped. So, D-air dealers should start seeing them any day!

5. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

Lizzy Leathers up in VA for patches, repairs, cleaning, etc.
    I've sent stuff to her several times.
    Lizzyleather.com

6. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

Our D-Air Suits are on the way to us now, should have them late this week or next week. This is the suit to have if it is in your budget.

Van

7. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have the taichi traps, it's a great suit and works superbly in a crash with its airbag system, but had I known that I'd be able to get a d-air suit a year later and it was actually cheaper (although more expensive to re-set the airbag system) I would have totally waited and got the dainese

8. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

van, that is great news. This damn collarbone hurts!

Is it going to be the Misano suit? Or a new model?

[email protected]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  9. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

airbag suits

I have a taichi raps ? in the shop now for cleaning and repair. I like it pretty well . it's a lot easier ( read "cost less to repair") than the other brands I've seen. bill and darethea

10. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

I've been using the Forcefield Pro Sub 4 back (and chest) protector in my other suits. The only problem is I typically had to go up in suit sizes in order to get it to fit (and have the suit tailored) because the back protector is way thicker than most. I just received my D-Air suit and went one size smaller, planning to use the one that came with it but it seems a little flimsy. Is that what you're using or did you go with a different Dainese back protector?

11. I use a KNOX back and chest protector (and undershorts and gloves).

awalk9905 likes this.
  12. Blue Junk

I used the provided D-air back protector a couple weeks ago and felt it was more than adequate. Especially considering the suit is made with a 'pocket' for the supplied protector. I've used Forcefield stuff for the last 8+ years...

13. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

The foam in the Forcefield chest and back protectors is very dense and it's worked for me for ~10 crashes. The D-Air just doesn't seem as robust but I'm a little worried about using another brand of back protectors with the airbag/pocket. Anybody know if the back protector it comes with is CE level 2 like their other back protectors?

Besides that the suit feels awesome and I can wait to try it out... not the airbag part though ;)

14. Blue Junk

I recall part of a conversation being that the back protector was CE level 1, because it doesn't cover the corners of the shoulder blades. This was less of a concern of mine since the air bag is there. I will get clarification on this...

15. Blue Junk

I just verified that my statement above is correct.

awalk9905 likes this.
  16. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

Hey!!! That's my suit!!!

17. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

with all this talk of new suits. Whats the magic of breaking in a new one? The leather is STIFF!

18. Oh which suit? My D-Air suits have been perfectly comfortable right out of the box.

19. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

RST
    Unfortunatly I'm between normal sizes. Going to the smaller size makes it a bit tighter on me. Mostly when I try to get in and out. Once it's on, it fits and I can move around normally. The leather is supple, but could use some working in to be as flexable as my crashed out suit was.

20. 2 things. Either try getting it wet and then wearing it.

Or get some of that mink oil like I put on all of my baseball gloves...spread it all over the suit and then lay it out in the sun. Then wear it for a little while. I have done that in the past and it helps a ton.