1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Audio Advice

Discussion in 'General' started by rogers1323, Nov 3, 2015.

1. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

I'm looking for the simplest way to play my iPhone (iPod, MP3, whatever) in my truck. It's a 2004 F250, so it doesn't have any integrated options that I'm aware of. Single CD, single cassette (but the cassette player broke a while back). I've tried the FM transmitters, but they never seem to work very well.

Is there any way to integrate with the current stereo, or is it pretty much replacing the system at this point? I would love to avoid that, and do this on the cheap if I can.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What kind of inputs does the stock head unit have?

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I wish I had better info for you, but my brother ran a hard-wired iPhone type cable into the factory system in my wife's Pilot so she could do exactly what you are looking to do.

It's basically a cable that goes into her stock system and has an 1/8" plug in for the phone at the other end.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've done that too, forget what it was called. I've found the easiest and long term cheapest way is to just go ahead and put a new head unit in there. Lots of cheap ones have iphone/ipod/mp3 player control capabilities.

5. rogers1323

Stock head unit basically has no inputs. Single CD, single cassette that no longer works. Other than that it gets AM/FM, so it's pretty "dumb."

There are no auxiliary inputs, unless there's something in the back that I'm unaware of.

6. rogers1323

I'm not opposed to this, if it would be easy to wire. I'm just not sure what I would need to connect that to in order for the head unit to accept the signal as the input.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're all different but at some point in that era of Ford trucks I had something that tapped into the stock harness (not joking here, think it was PIE or something like that) - used it for sat radio but same idea, just adds the input. Still think a new head unit is cheaper and easier :D

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

9. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Get a head unit with the proper input from Crutchfield. There are cheaper sources, but their big selling point is you get nice vehicle specific instructions (for not only the head unit but all speaker locations should you want to replace those in the future) and a wiring harness/adaptor to plug into the stock crap.

12. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

This all day long.

Comes with vehicle specific harness and mounting kit.

I did this to my 02 suburban about 4-5 years ago, spent about $130 at crutchfield, and installed myself, no sweat.

13. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I had this same issue with my 2002 F150. I got a Pioneer double din head unit and wired it myself. Some of the best money I've ever spent.

14. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

15. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

16. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I have the chevy version of this. Works fine, but everyone who is telling you to get a head unit from crutchfield with a usb input is 100% spot on. Do that and be done with it.

17. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

18. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I appreciate that Crutchfield makes it easy, but for fucks sake, for the prices they charge, they had better give you the red carpet treatment.

"FREE vehicle wiring kit!"

Shit is like $12 on Amazon. Does not excuse the $100 mark up on the head unit.

Aftermarket head units are dirt cheap, and well worth the money.

19. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Yes, which is why I usually shop in their closeout section :D

20. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

Call me dumb, but I got a double din alpine head unit with erythang for about $130, accomplished everything you are looking for, and I never looked back.