1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CR500- Road Race bike

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by JTRC51, Aug 31, 2015.

1. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

Gimmie Mo likes this.
  2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

FACK somebody loan me 5k. Holy SHIT that would be fun as hell.

3. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

Until it killed you dead.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I can imagine that thing being a bit of a nightmare coming on and off the pipe. And the CR500 didn't have a power-vavle like the KX500.

5. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

When I first ride the 500, I was like FAK (V. Rossi)

LOL, I can only imagine what that beast would be like to ride!!

6. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

Who else read that out loud in a Rossi voice :D

7. nitto182

nitto182 Well-Known Member

This.

8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Been done quite a few times. The vibration makes it almost impossible to ride. Paging Tuna to the white courtesy phone.... You should throw in your .02 since you built one.

9. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

nah I can cure vibes, did on my 98 250 framed 500 I built, gearing it what hard to get. These motors don't like to rev. Took me a few yrs to solve vibration problem, my bike feels like it has a 250 motor till you turn throttle. Last dirt bike I will own, Looking at building a motard with a 2000 chassis and 500 motor next,

Steven Isenhower #52 2001 V6

10. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

That bike is ugly as Fak, but I bet it is fun.

11. defiant900

defiant900 Well-Known Member

12. 2smokercr500

2smokercr500 Member

I won't be interested in any cr500 with aluminum frame, keep them in a steel chassis non-GP and with a little knowledge of how to make them live at WOT......very cheap to run and dependable if set-up right, may not be the easiest thing to ride especially if you don't like getting sideways!!!

13. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

14. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

A road going bike with a CR500 motor is a siren call to many of us, me included. I just don't know that I'm willing to actually pull the trigger and tempt fate. The alloy frame CR250s with CR500 engines are really cool. Service Honda turns out some really sharp bikes. But I suppose if I was ever to own a CR500 it'd probably be a late 1980s Rick Johnson replica.

dave3593 likes this.
  15. 2smokercr500

2smokercr500 Member

Just make sure you're insurance policy is paid up......

some say these are low reving motors.....9200 rpms is not all that slow and will easily live 40 plus hrs if set-up correctly.

16. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

The problem is the lack of counterbalancer.

That is why we have switched from a KX500 to an LT500R quadzilla motor for the bike I am helping put together. The zilla has a counterbalancer that helps immensely with vibration.

17. 2smokercr500

2smokercr500 Member

Falicon balances my cranks for 8500rpms......vibes are very low.

I have a few friends the build hill climbers and sand drag motors (Adam Millar and Dave Luebcke) almost everyone I've talked with don't like the longer stroke motor of the KX due to rod problems and increased piston speed.....I also talk with the outlaw kart guys often and most run cr500 motors ( Jim at Supracing). I hope you figure out the LT.... I always cheer for the 2 smokers!!!

18. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

I think it will turn out nicely. When I get back from Saudi Arabia I hope to work on it a bit more.

19. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I've heard a properly setup 450 4 stroker is faster and easier to setup. But I have a place in my heart for the 2 strokes just like many others.

Personally especially for dirt / woods riding I chose the 2 strokes over the 4 strokes hands down. Easier to work on and typically lighter weight

20. 2smokercr500

2smokercr500 Member

We will see what's faster at Mid-Ohio during AMA VD in Formula singles.......