1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still another tire wear question...

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Aug 28, 2015.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Spinning the front?

And he's right. Thinner tires lose heat faster than new tires. However, they also build heat faster.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

No expert here but I had a greasy front end (old bike fzr400) and it was from the front being too high. You mentioned it in your post so I thought I'd chime in.

Just my non professional 2 cents.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yeah, it's the front I'm questioning.
    Thanks for the input MH. I know I'm too high up front. It's a steady progression of adjustments that I'm making. Not that I can't go straight to the numbers but I want to experience the steps along the way. I thought reading the tire wear could confirm what's going on while I do so.

Posted just for kicks, the rears get their share of abuse bucking and wallowing on exit but I use 'em for 5-7 days anyway. :D
    Here's one day on a matching 190/55 and seven days on a matching 190/50...
    I've already said I'm not taking them to the edge so we can skip that conversation.

Attached Files:

4. 418

418 Expert #59

You need to teach me how to ride. If I could get 7 days out of the rear and 12 days out of the front I'd be back racing full time. :D

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It's the bike. Underpowered, no whiz-bang electronics...just pure Honda goodness standing on Ohlins legs. :D

The riding I do is nowhere near a race pace. Consider it the pace an on-track coach might use when leading/following faster students, except I'm not coaching. My riding time is mine, pay for observing the students from various trackside vantage points between rides.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

It's amazing how long tires can last if you are running 6-7/10th's. When Tyler did the YCRS classes, we would take bad race tires with cold tear and after a session or two at training pace, they looked good again.