1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still another tire wear question...

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Aug 28, 2015.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Mich SuperSport Power(not EVO) front, 12 days at NJMP.
    Tire rotation in the pics is clockwise.

My question is the wear pattern on the outer edge of the tread where scalloping changes direction. From descriptions of other examples I've seen, I'm led to believe it's not enough weight on the front.

???

Attached Files:

2. fastfreddie

Yup. Cornerworkin' for a school. It lasted longer than I expected and actually still looks good all around, tread-wise.
    Don't use brakes 'til the second session and then it's only light use. Third and fourth sessions vary between light and full brakes. Fifth session and an hour lunch see full braking. Sessions are 20-30 minutes.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  3. It's cupped because it's worn out.

4. fastfreddie

That's not cupping.

5. I am not discussing tire wear on a tire with 12 days on it. :moon:

If it looked like that after 12 laps, sure.

6. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

If I could get 12 days out of a tire I'd be happy no matter what it looked like.

7. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

The Power Supersport is a trackday/street tire and is not nearly as susceptible to heat cycles as a DOT race tire

8. 418

418 Expert #59

:stupid:

9. fastfreddie

That side pattern is the same regardless of the days. It's just more worn in the longer the tire is run.
    Y'all cryin' about a 12 day old tire like it should be shit after one weekend. :rolleyes:
    Okay, just pretend it was one weekend. What causes that pattern?

10. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Asphalt and heat. Your welcome;)

11. 418

418 Expert #59

It doesn't matter what pattern it has. It has 12 days, it's wore the fuck out. Tires that have a lot of time on them tend to do strange shit.
    Put a new tire on that thing cause I don't think this is even Melka approved. :Poke:

If you can "get" 12 days out of a front tire, you probably got other problems to worry about than tire wear/pattern.

12. fastfreddie

That's actually funny, and a shit-ton closer to the truth than the flak from the rest of the peanut gallery. :D

Some of you must be language challenged or don't care whether a fellow rider gets good info. If a tire is an obvious joke, then yeah, rip on. This ain't no joke.
    I'll say it again, that pattern started on day one and is likely confirming something I already know. I just hoped to hear it from someone here that had seen it before and knows what causes it.

And no, it's not worn out. It has plenty of life at levels of use which don't include a race pace.

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

LOL...you win the internet today!!!

I mean C'mon it is a michelin and they are rated for 70K miles, why did it only last 12 days, I figured I could get at least 20 days. To quote a famous beebian in the past week, Michelin you can suck it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  14. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I'm no expert so I could be way off base. I'd guess that tire temps are a little high, so maybe go up a little on pressure. If you have access to a pyrometer measure it off the track and see how hot it's getting.

15. fastfreddie

It's obvious the tire has being taken to task, but is that the cause of that pattern? I don't think so. The pattern started before I laid into the speed. I have reasonable suspicion it's a geometry issue but that's beyond my suspension knowledge. Hence, the main question in this thread.

I'm know I've been toasting it. It definitely gets greasy when the afterburner is switched on.
    I can visualize that pattern being caused by sideslip, but is it a lack of weight on the tire when leaned out on the edge, or too much spring, too high a front height...?
    I doubt the compound should be part of the equation as this pattern presented itself before I started cookin'.

Unfortunately, I don't have any tire tools beyond an air gauge, changer and balancer. Looks like I should check on some pyrometers, durometers...gafometers. :D
    Got any recommendations for some I could carry in my leathers? I'm limited on time between sessions and would have to keep the tool with me.

16. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

The tread sipes look great for 12 days on them. Just ignore the mob mentality and attempt to raise post counts.

My first reaction was a slight hot tear. Dave Moss does an excellent job of explaining it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG0OVFID7G8

Pressures are the obvious culprit, but you could also be heating the rubber more as it gets thinner. The tread sipes look good, but I don't know how much time you have spent on the very edge of the tire.

17. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

I think that's backwards. Thinner rubber won't hold sufficient heat.

18. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I've always attributed thinner rubber -> more carcass flex -> more heat generation. You could be right on heat retention...? He might be spinning the tire and just creating heat on the surface of the tire via friction.

19. fastfreddie

I'm gonna visit Dave's vids. That guy makes sense. The posted vid, I think, explains the scalloping but not that other pattern which I'm questioning.

I've not spent any time on the very edge of the tire. It's NJMP, 20-30 minute sessions, and I can't take myself out...other people would have to take pick up my slack. Not to mention, stock bikes are prohibitively expensive to crash.
    I'm guessin' I cruise around 1:40s and turn near 1:35s on the gas but I can't strafe the students and the six foot all around passing rule pretty much kills layin' down any significant numbers for my ability. Clean laps are few and far between so I don't even bother with timing.