1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimum wage and tipping

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Rob P, Aug 21, 2015.

1. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree, but that's just was just my observation when I was over there (Munich/Amsterdam). There are definite downsides to the way we do it over here.

Also, while money motivates some people, there are many other effective ways to motivate people.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The threat of physical harm is indeed effective.

3. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

And? I damn near doubled the minimum wage and the server still gets the short end of the stick.

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

The threat of an ass beating as always worked to motivate me.:D

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

How so? What do you think a person should make as a server? Shouldn't the market determine the level of pay? If the restaurants wanted better people they would find themselves paying more to attract them. But once again the manager would have to actively manage the people and not let the customers manage for them.

6. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

I think it is a cultural thing. I noticed it too when I was in England. Took forever to get our bill. I just wanted to get going to all my touristy things and they're just more casual. Hell, the pubs we PACKED by 4pm every day.

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

This reminded me of one of the worst things that could happen when I was a manager for Denny's.
    A tour bus full of Canadians pulling into the parking lot between rushes. 60-70 old people all wanting a cup of coffee and an order of toast at the same time at the counter, and all paying exactly what it costs. A couple times I just turned them away if they didn't call ahead.

8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

There are exceptions to every rule..:D

9. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

:crackup:

The market is determining their pay.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Waiters do side work, cooks do prep. No reason why waiters shouldn't keep their work areas clean and ready to perform their job. Who puts a mechanic's tools away after using them?
    And between shifts, help is sent home, and it's usually done by customer levels, not time. When the rush is over and things cleaned up, people get sent home.

11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Industry expectations have more to do with tipping than market pressure. Like the push from 15% to 20% for good service.

You did avoid saying what you think a server should be making though.

12. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

I am VERY conscientious about tipping. Now and then Bonnie and I and a few friends will "camp out" at a table and as a result take a turn away from a server and we always tip extra to offset that income loss to him or her and we tell them, talk about a smile on someone's face.

If you can't or wont accept tipping, then stay home or get your shit at a drive-thru window.

13. STT-Rider

Good mechanics seem to prefer to work flat rate.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Shit. I hate it when I agree with Monte. :stupid:

15. STT-Rider

Canadians and canoes...whats the difference? You can get a canoe to tip.. BADABING!

16. STT-Rider

Makes you feel a bit dirty doesn't it?

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That's my constant state of being. You should be the one feeling dirty. :p

18. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

The only true way to assure a motivated workforce is a work or don't eat policy. There is no real downside to not working in this country. I laugh to myself when people working jobs in six figure pay brackets say hire better people. Perhaps one of them would like to come drive nails for me. Given their lack of experience in the field and their potential to cost me more money than they make me, I can offer them ten dollars an hour for the first couple of weeks, followed by a rather large raise or a boot in the ass, depending on what they show me. Sometimes, you just have to work with what comes through your door.

19. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

How much do you think a server should make and how would you arrive at that wage?

20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Minimum wage goes up....menu prices will go up...my tip percentage will go down.

There's only so much cash in my wallet. Minimum wage giveth and the tip get taketh away.