1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimum wage and tipping

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Rob P, Aug 21, 2015.

1. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

And the servant would take a pay cut.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And now that level has increased exponentially.

3. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Now exponentially exponentially.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not if the food cost increase were passed to the wait staff.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Wabbit season.

6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

It is the managers job to ensure that service is up to par, not mine. If they have shitty service I will not return. It is their job to be pleasant and get me what I want. Why am I expected to give them more money for doing their job.

7. Personally, I would like it better if there was no tipping, because then servants wouldn't feel the need to interact as much. I hate the forced interaction where they ask about you and your day, tell you what is going on with them, etc. They try to be overly friendly in an effort to gain tips. I hate that shit.

I don't care about your car or where you went dancing last night. I have no desire to tell you about my job or where I was born. And for fucks sake do NOT sit down at my table. I do not want you to sit beside me and I will be damned if I am going to scoot over to make room for you in my booth. And don't try to impress me with your memory. You can impress me by writing everything down so you get my order right the first time.

To me, a perfect servant exchange would be this in entirety....

Servant (walks up and stands beside the table): "My name is _____. What do you want to drink and eat?"
    Me: "I want the_______ and I will drink water"
    Servant (writing everything down): "Sounds good, I will get that going" (walks off)

Food comes

Servant: "Here is your food, do you need anything else?"
    Me: "No everything is fine"

(Servant immediately leaves)

Then the only other interaction should be when my glass is empty. That is it. And I cant stand it when the General Manager comes by and interrupts my meal to ask me all kinds of questions about the food and service and everything else. Just leave me the fuck alone and let me eat. If there is a problem, I will let you know.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  8. Not if the food price increased.

Besides, we are talking about $15 an hour to serve food. If that is a problem, then find a different job.

9. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

because the servers all report the correct amount of tips at the end of the night, and don't reduce the number?

the bussers and hostesses get a divide of whatever's reported at the end of the night as well

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  10. Boom.

11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

If all this 15$ hr talk is just about crapplebees or idgafridays then fine, pay em 15$ an hour and be done with it. But what are you gonna do for the servers at fine restaurants that regularly get 20% on a 3000$ check. You gonna start paying them 100$ and hour? I think the system as it is now is just fine.

I do agree w Broome though..... I wish it were more like Europe where you flag down a waiter if you need something. Nobody is bringing your check as you finish your dinner as if to say, thanks now get out.

12. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

This bugs me too. I'm a big craft beer drinker. Sometimes I get a 20-30 dollar bomber at the bar and for some social reason I should tip more than if I was served a Pabst.

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:

It is interesting that people think that others deserve a tip for getting a food order correct and getting it to your table in a timely fashion. They should get paid properly and that cost should be up front. Not some fucking voodoo number based on your mood at the time.
    If I do my job poorly OSHA and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission are involved and it costs shit tons of money and possibly lives. There are no tips involved. I still do my job to the best of my ability.

14. But the thing is, is the person serving you a $200 meal working any harder than the person serving you a $20 meal? Are they having to wear shoes made of concrete or barefooted walking through hot coals?

The food gets cooked, they grab the plate and take it to the table.
    The glass is empty, they refill it.
    Somebody needs steak sauce or ketchup, they go get it.
    The only difference is they might have to wear different (nicer) clothes.

If you think about it logically, why should a tip be based upon the price of the food? The servant neither paid for nor cooked the food.

Why should a servant earn $40 for doing the exact same thing as a servant who earns $4?

I have always tipped based upon the level of service, not the cost of the food. I don't give a shit if the bill is $20 or $100. I have given a $15 tip on a $20 bill, and I have given a $1 tip on a $50 bill (they forgot the sides, didn't bring steak sauce even after i asked twice, my glass stayed empty so much that I had to take it up there myself twice and dude had a shitty attitude as if he couldn't be bothered with us).

The thing is, when I leave a $1 tip, I will tell them exactly why I did it. I don't just drop a dollar and leave. I let them know exactly why and then they can either not give a damn, or try to do better. It is up to them.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

once dined at a fine establishment that had numbers before the entree.
    Seemingly satisfied that selection 112 was going to be my dinner... the waiter took the extra time to point out that the number on the menu was the cost & made me feel like a complete idiot...lol.
    $112 for a 3" filet of snapper. To compound the stupid feeling, all the sides were ala carte so I got to feel hungry after all that. Best part... since there was 6 of us dining, the sneaky bastards rolled in a generous 25% gratuity but called it "Party Service" or something. :D

16. I hate it when they automatically add the tip to the bill.

17. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

does it bother anyone but me that "crashman" is manipulating rods in a nuke? :D

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Don't worry. I am not in a nuke plant. The stuff I work with is non fissile so there will not be an earth shattering kaboom. Just contamination. And I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night too.:D

19. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Minimum wage is $15 an hour?

The real minimum wage is what, $7.25 an hour? Even if the joint raised the food prices to pay the wait staff $12 an hour and no tipping, any decent server is taking a pay cut making $2.35 plus tips.

I'm not sure what is so difficult about this math? :confused:

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Where the hell have you been eating?