1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimum wage and tipping

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Rob P, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

So recent discussions got me really thinking about this. Raising the minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 represents about a 100% raise, something most of us will never see in our current jobs. With the increase there will be a devaluation of the currency in effect giving the rest of us a pay cut making our dollar not go as far as it once did. I have always been a good tipper, typically20%, but considering the raise, how much of that tip is untaxed and how my money would be de-valued I am rethinking my tipping practices. Here in the U.S. Typing is expected. Other places, like Australia, do not tip. I am considering the latter unless service is exceptional.

2. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I like the no tip system in Europe....the price you see is the price you pay

3. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

A lot of restaurants pay under minimum wage, and the expectation is to make up the rest with tips. This is common practice.

I think I made $2.35 an hour when I worked at Outback in 2009.

Tip your waiter. In europe, the money to pay the staff comes from somewhere, so your vino de la casa is slightly more expensive.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  4. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

This.

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Which is despicable. Whatever law that allows that needs to be abolished for sure.

6. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I would not mind if that was reworked and a change to the economics of our food industry is made.

But until that day, you need to tip your waiter. and if you don't know what it's like to work your ass off and have a $25 night, just ask.

7. 600 dbl are

:confused:

I worked as a waiter at an Applebee's and made over $15 an hour waiting tables on that pay scale.

It's essentially like being a commissioned salesman, which allows to keep food costs down.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It may keep the menu costs down, but the cost of dining out is menu plus tip.

9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

That doesnt make sense. So the steak costs a bit less but at the end of the night you end up paying the same? Why not just put the cost of the food at an appropriate level that you can pay your staff instead of just having indentured servants that rely on the good graces of the patrons.

Edit:
    Shit! Beat to the punch by Flash Acree...

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

In an ideal world, tipping is not a bad idea. The best servers should make more than the surly butthead that thinks thay are doing you a favor by cleaning up the debris from the party that ate before they sat you at the food trough. Often it does work, but on too many occasions I see some poor server working their butts off to serve an understaffed section and trying like hell to keep diners calm when the kitchen is understaffed or overpopulated with mental midgets. Service sucks, but it isn't necessarily the servers fault. Those situations are the managers fault.

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

As per the law, at the end of the pay period, your wages plus tips has to at least equal the minimum wage. If it doesn't, the company has to kick in enough to make it so. So if you suck at getting tips, you're still getting the minimum wage no matter what. That's why you're required to report your tips.

galloway840 likes this.
  12. 600 dbl are

If tipping was taken out of the equation because the cost of food was raised, you would be cutting the salary of the wait staff.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not if the restaurateur were honest. The cost of dining = menu plus tax plus tip. If the 20% were added to the wait staff salary, please tell me how that reduces their income. (other than take home, since taxes would be collected)

14. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

I've never understood the reasoning.
    If I order the burger for a $10 meal, I should tip $2.
    If I order the fillet for a $40 meal, I should tip $8.
    The server does the same amount of work either way.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Why is that? If the cost of food was raised by 20% and that additional money was passed straight through to the staff it should work out pretty close, shouldn't it? All it should do is eliminate the ability of the waitstaff to skim off the cash tips and avoid taxes for that money.

Dammit Acree. How did you get so smart!:D

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Google.:D

17. 600 dbl are

If the cost of the food went up so you don't have to tip, why tip? Good service gets better tips. It makes the server work for better tips. If you get shitty service it's no sweat off the servers back, they are getting paid the same.

18. Exactly.

Pay the servants minimum wage (at least, or whatever wage you deem acceptable)...then no tipping.

Eating out should be the same way as when you go buy clothes, or go to Subway or Burger King or whatever, you see a price on the menu, you pay it, and you leave.

19. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

I'm gone for a week and you guys all of a sudden are even more boring than ever.

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It would also eliminate my ability to give a little less or a little more than 20% depending on the quality of the service. I try to pay close attention and not blame the server for an issue in the kitchen.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the 20% is supposed to be before taxes. In some tourist areas the total tax can be 10-12%. For instance the tax here in Alexandria Virginia is 5.3% sales tax + 0.7% sales tax rider for Northern Virginia + 4% restaurant tax = 10%. You don't have to tip on that part of the bill.