1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bike - Hard tail

Discussion in 'General' started by Game, Jun 8, 2011.

1. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

Just picked up a Scalpel 29er. About 100 miles on it so far, works great but I need a different seat. My sittin bones are grumpy.

2. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

3. Yep. It's a good looking bike. They also make a 650B version of it, although the paint job isn't quite as cool. Still not bad looking though: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/rockhopper/rockhopper-expert-evo-650b
    650B is around a 27.5" wheel, so it will turn a little more quickly than the 29", but like I said before, it's mainly down to preference. Personally, I'm still partial to 26" bikes, but I'm in the minority right now.

As far as DH, yea, sounds like a good plan. Get a feel for the techniques of cross country riding, and then decide if you want to do some downhill. The resorts with downhill trails typically rent DH bikes for the day, so eventually you can try one out and see if you like it.

4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

My advice is to test ride different bikes. You'll notice that some medium frame bikes feel much much different than another brand's medium frame bikes (or whatever size you are.) You can also play around with how the different wheel sizes feel.

Bike shops around here let you test ride anything they have in stock.

5. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I have. I love.
    Stumpy 650b Expert Carbon Evo
    I can't go full hardtail

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

1x11? Yum.

7. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I got my son the red. He wanted one to match my Venge but the exact match (black with red accents) didn't have the components I wanted him to have.

It's a Small and I had to cut the seat post for him. I can ride it and my Venge is a 56.

8. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

It is awesome

9. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Had you been riding regularly up till now? If not, give the saddle some more time. Everyones arse gets (very) sore if they've been off the bike for awhile, then start back.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'll take this opportunity once again state that I HATE 29ers. To the point, I'm thinking about getting another Salsa (or even a Santa Cruz) and trying to get someone to build me an old school 26 out of it (or settle for a 27.5).

I love my Salsa, just want non stupid wheels on a version of it.

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

They hate you too.

:)

12. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Can't see over the top of the front tire?:Poke: Unless you have access to 75mm cranks (and long enough legs to spin them) the bottom bracket is too low for 26" wheels.

13. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Depends... The BB of my 29" xc race oriented HT is easily the lowest BB height of all my mtbs(8. all but 1 are 26").

14. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Lefty or standard front Fork setup?

My brother has a large frame standard fork Scalpel that I rode a few times last month. Really excellent fit for me but his ride needed a serious tune up. Now I'm searching the local craigslist to find a deal for me on one

15. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

And if you put 26" wheels on it, the bb would be over an inch lower than it is. ;)

16. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

What is the difference between these two and the 950 dollar one seen here?

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/rockhopper/rockhopper-comp-29#features

I still don't understand the terminology or what components mean what. So All I see are paint jobs right now.

17. Well, one big difference is that the one for $950, and the one Jed posted, have 29" wheels (29er), but the one I posted has 27.5" wheels (650B). The bigger wheeled bikes turn a little slower, but roll over logs better.

Another difference is that the 29er bikes have 20 mm less travel in the forks than the 650B does.

The main reason the $950 bike is cheaper is that some of the components like shifters, brakes etc. are of a lower spec.

18. Nice bike.:up: Do you take that up to any of the ski resorts?

19. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

On the wheel size, 26in was what most people grew up with on mtbs, 29in (~700c, same as road wheel diameter) that started 5-6years ago has lost a bit of critical mass and largely recognised as a fast rolling/slower turning wheel size used for XC and short travel dual suspensions. 27.5 is the in between size, a relatively new wheel size ~2yrs old, that rolls a bit faster than 26ers but turns faster than the 29 'wagon wheels'. My new ride is a 27.5 and I cant say it took any adjustment coming off the 26, but does roll faster. Unless you have your heart set on 29, or really want a 26, it pains me to say go with the flow and embrace 27.5.

If you want to understand what you're buying, you'll have to understand each part and its relative importance, or put up some bike options and $ and we can tell you here.

Dave - heaps of mint 2nd hand SC 26in bikes for sale now as people get upgraditus. Just remember SC has tweaked the geo over the last few years for the long, low and slack approach.

20. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Understanding components is kind of the point where I'm at right now. It seems they are very critical. Are there some comparison tests or anything like that I can look at somewhere? And tires are already getting outdated? Being new, and assuming my first bike won't be my last, is it worth it to stay on top of the latest tech? I figure after I ride a ton, my second bike will be far more uplevel when I know what I want. However, I feel that decent components are worth it now.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015