1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xr100 shock upgrades

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by tikki50, Jul 9, 2015.

1. tikki50

tikki50 Well-Known Member

looking for suspension upgrades to an XR100 my rear blew it all over my bike and it's now a pogo stick. I seems it's not rebuildable so I started googling. Found a JRI shock, works, and takegawa? I know I need to bump the spring rate if I stay stock but that means buying a used one off ebay with possibly the same issue. Does anyone have feedback on aftermarket shocks that do not require mods? I'm leaning towards a JRI for the price point. I love this little turd, she's fun to flog!

2. ianjoub

ianjoub Well-Known Member

New OEM from Honda

DAMPER, RR.
    52410-GN1-013
    $239.25 List
    $173.70 Ron Ayers price

3. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Look into APE100 shocks from overseas as well.

4. tikki50

tikki50 Well-Known Member

ok thanks. 173 isn't bad for new. THanks for that tip.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The big boy bbr spring makes the stock shock much better for about $80. I think backcountry might have posted pics of a shock he sacrificed for rebuild

6. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

7. backcountryme

I also made mine simi-rebuildable. I guess it would be more accurate to say it is serviceable.

Attached Files:

8. sharky nrk

how about you send me one of those :up:

9. backcountryme

Really easy to do. That is just a brass 1/8 pipe thread coupler that I cut in half. Used some emery paper wrapped around the shock body to fish mouth the coupler to the body. Then used metal working solder and a propane torch to attach. Drilled a hole in the shock body (Coat the drill bit in heavy grease and go slow to catch all the shavings). drain the oil and measure how much was in it (I forgot how much it was). I used naptha to clean the shock out. Just filled the body up completely and pumped it through a few times until the naptha was clear. Then refill with fresh oil. I used 13wt fork oil, but I think that I am going to go thicker. Then cap it with a 1/8 pipe plug.

10. backcountryme

Oh, I changed the pipe plug from that square drive to one of these
    [​IMG]

The square drive cleared everything fine, but this one looks better.

11. sharky nrk

Was there a noticeable improvement?

12. backcountryme

Yeah. Big improvement. I only have the stock spring right now, and it is WAY to soft for me. But just having some damping was a big help. I noticed way less chatter at the kart track, and when we did the dirt section there was way less bounce.

13. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Still will not help if the seal blew and oiled your bike.

14. sharky nrk

maybe I will give it a whirl, I would like to have a cheap method to make it not suck as much

I keep looking at the BBR spring and its like $80-$100 uninstalled and keep thinking its alot of money to spend on a shock that has absolutely useless dampening

15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Works shock > Ohlins shock > BBR spring on stock shock.

We have a few 100's, one with each configuration.

16. sharky nrk

Yeah but a works shock is like what ...... $500-600 now. When it was $350, ok, maybe but at $500 it would be worth more than a lot of 100s as a whole. I saw JRI made one but I think it was around the same cost as well.

17. backcountryme

18. sharky nrk

^^ yeah I spoke with them about it, I think the big issue I have with that one is the spring selection and rate of spring you can get off the shelf. The same basic shock from Japan is about half the price but have to order like $300-400 to get free shipping and then wait.

I just kinda have been weighing the options and waiting. And riding the crap shock I have lol.

I have like two or three spare shocks, I should really just suck it up and try your modification. Maybe if I can find someone to do the metalwork locally in case I botch it badly lol.

19. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I didn't say it was a smart purchase .. :D

20. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Hey Eddie your not allowed in the mini section you have not shown up at East Lansing yet!