1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

box truck to toy hauler conversion

Discussion in 'General' started by fullmetalF4i, Jul 9, 2015.

1. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

I could have sworn there was a nice build thread on here where a guy took an old U-Haul and converted it to a race hauler.

Searched a few terms and couldn't find it.

My questions though, what are the downfalls to this conversion? Currently I'd have to replace my truck with something larger to tow the type of toy hauler I want (not too big, but I want the bed in the front so I don't have to unload bikes and gear to get to sleep). And I thought today after seeing Yates pull up in a converted U-Haul to Barber, that doing an all in 1 vehicle may be the better way for me to go.

What opinions does the beeb have on the box-truck to toy hauler conversion?

2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Well, if Yates is there with one.....why not go ask/talk to him and see if you can check his out.

3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I've thought about it many times. I've been spoiled with motorhomes, but I think it's a great option if you have the time and skills to do the build.

Rob Jensen made about a gaziliion dollars out of a retired Penske truck before he bought a proper motorhome.

I'd try to find something with an attic though. Putting your bed over the cab will save a ton of space for more important things.

4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

There are several ways to do it. Honestly, when I did mine I looked for a Penske, not a uhaul. They service theirs way better than uhaul. And they sell them way before they get to needing too much.

Mine is an 04 e350 that I bought at auction In 07 with 40k.

It's now at over 200k and only needed a transmission at 200 towing trailer through mountains cross country.

As for the setup, I usually carry many bikes with me so I made my "living quaters smaller.

I made it just big enough that a futon would fit behind the front seats then redid my wall. In the back I can haul either:
    4 road racers
    8 dirt bikes
    6 dirt trackers

With all necessary gear.

The amount of stuff you carry should let you know how big to make your living area/ garage.

My truck is a 16ft box.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Diet Dr thunder did it with a cab over. Pretty nice set up all in all.

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Box truck: the poor-man's Sprinter.

I love the idea of converting and owning one. I hate the idea of storing one. Where do you guys with track rigs park them?

Do you load with the standard ramp, or is a lift-gate essential?

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Treadmill and wings

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Conversely, how hard would it be to just reinforce the back of an RV and install a ramp door?

9. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

^this

and ^that

Four Winds did make a class C toter for a few years. But the bring good money used. IIRC it was called a fun mover.

11. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

What I think would be really badass is one of those moving trucks where the SIDES open. Install an RV-style canopy off the side above the doors, and spend your day up on the deck of the rig like it's a giant front-porch. Close it up at night to keep bugs out, and just have some RV windows for ventilation on the side opposite the doors.

12. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

The couple of box trucks I've driven had governors. Not sure if those are easy to remove but something to keep in mind. They were also geared pretty low.

13. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I love the THOR Outlaw class A toy haulers. If I ever go box type cab over anything type rig this will be it. I'd store it on my driveway like I do the towable toy hauler I have now. There were a couple of these at last years GNF pitted right next to us. I couldn't stop looking at them and took a tour inside one. Awesome layout IMO.

http://outlawrv.com

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, a friend's dad borrowed an old church bus to take some boyscouts to a camp in Texas. It was governed at 55 mph, which is pretty intolerable on that long of a trip.

Keep in mind that this is second-hand information from the mouth of a teenager, but my buddy claimed his dad installed a simple toggle switch to defeat the governor (which sounds plausible, if it's simply retarding the fuel injection at a certain RPM).

they would cruise along at 70 mph until the temp gauge started to inch higher than they were comfortable with, then slow down and reactivate the governor until the bus could recover.

Gearing is a really valid concern though. Motorcycles and gear weigh a lot less than box trucks are rated to haul. Changing the overdrive ratio would be ideal.

15. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

Best purchase I ever made was for a used outlaw RV. So far this season I've put 14k miles on it. Gutted the oem furniture and turned it into more of a New York style apartment inside. I've seen that Yates guy's rig too - just incredible how many bikes fit in there.

16. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

pictures por favor

17. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

I imagine that those are quite pricy, and as mentioned earlier, this would be a "poor man's toy hauler" build.

I doubt I'll be able to find one in the price range I want, but the 24'+ truck that budget rents with the international cab. When I moved back from Mississippi I swore that was the last moving truck I'd ever rent because it was so much more comfortably than the E350 van based cab.

thanks for that link zertrider. that thing looks pretty much what I want to do (though I'd prefer something with a diesel engine)

18. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Was that him at Barber 4th of july?

19. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

I don't have any posted anywhere (sorry). Happy to give a tour to anyone asking me while at a track.

20. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

When I started racing, the WERA paddock had more converted box-vans than enclosed trailers.

Toy-haulers had not been invented at that time.