Moto America Superstock 600

Discussion in 'General' started by ahastings, Apr 20, 2015.

1. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

How is Joe Roberts eligible to ride that class when he raced Supersport at Circuit of the Americas. It is right in the rulebook that a Supersport licensed racer cannot race in Superstock 600.
    d. AMA Supersport licensed riders may not compete in AMA MotoAmerica Superbike, Superstock 1000, Superstock 600 or KTM RC Cup classes.

2. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

He is a licensed Superstock rider that did a wildcard in Supersport at CoTA.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

4. pokemon2

pokemon2 New Member

Kids fast as fuck. Gonna win that championship for sure!

5. ahastings

Ok. I didnt know they were allowed to do that. Fast enough to run top 5 or even in better in Supersport seems odd for the team to put him in the superstock 600 class

6. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

Kids a "ringer" for sure in that class. He ran the "big" 600 class all last season.

Maybe its wide open and anybody can go back and fourth between the classes. Which I think is the way it should be. Race the spec of bike, not age groups or hair color or whatever stupid categories they make up.

7. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

He was 16th in DMG DSB points for 2014. The cutoff to make a rider ineligible for MotoAmerica Superstock is top 15 in points. He should be able to beat his 5-straight (DMG) Supersport wins from 2013...

8. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Why does Joe Roberts have so many people's panties in a wad? If I'm not mistaken, this isn't the first thread about him and this topic. If he's racing within the rules, who the hell cares what class he's riding in?

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I guess after winning 5 straight races in 2013, we all hoped he'd be on a 1000 this year. At least, I did. Looks like he has his issues from last year figured out and he is going well.

10. Cajun Kid

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  11. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Everyone is looking at this and assuming that every racer's goal (and their sponsors' objective) is to be in the highest class possible.

Look at it more as a business decision:

- what the team can afford to build? (i.e. superstock versus superbike build rules)
    - do the sponsors prefer a 10th place in Sportbike or a podium in 600 Superstock?
    - are other teams (i.e. future partners or god willing, employers) more impressed with 10th in sportbike or podium in superstock? (not that I know the answer to that)
    - does the rider know a given track better?
    - is one round higher profile than another? (I think running with the MotoGP teams certainly puts COTA in that realm)

we can question decisions all we want, but I would be surprised if they're not being made with more care than some are assuming.

12. Cajun Kid

Right, Race what class works best for your sponsors/ Riding Ability/ Spec of Machine.

If you have the right bike and can make the show......... Race.

13. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

i'm going to go out on a limb here, but if he was on anything other than the honda, he probably would have done better than 16th in DSB last year.

that bike has not proven to be competitive in DSB in recent years.

14. ahastings

very true. And I dont think there is much difference between a superstock 6 bike and a supersport bike. Probably just the teams decision figured they have a ringer in both classes with him and Herrin they can cover both classes instead of the both of them battling each other for wins in the preemier 600 class supersport.

15. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

i thought there were some differences as far as the motor builds and electronics.. there are other things, but that's where the money is. but what do i know. i'm just speculating.

16. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Pretty big difference actually. The new Supersport class allows the following upgrades where Superstock does not: Upgraded triple clamps, suspension link, master cylinder, cylinder head work, cam shafts, valve springs, and slightly better electronics/data.

17. ahastings

With all those mods allowed they should call it Superbike 600 then instead of supersport, but in the whole scheme of a major race team is it considerably more expensive to run a supersport bike vs a superstock 6 bike?

18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

The rest of the world calls it Supersport and Superstock, they just aligned the names with everyone else.

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I was told by a riders dad, to run competitively with the new 600 supersport rules, the engines are going to need freshened up after every race.

That isn't needed in the superstock class.

20. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

That going to get expensive pretty quick.