1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 CBR600RR fuel pump not priming

Discussion in 'Tech' started by SV650R, Feb 23, 2015.

1. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I have a buddy with a 2003 CBR600RR

All lights come on, and bike cranks just fine... But does NOT start.

Fuel pump does not sound like it's priming. Fuel pump primes if wired directly to the battery.

We check all fuses under the left fairing... Fuse under the seat... Switch the relays... Switch ignition switch... We check clutch switch, as wheel as kick stand switch...

I noticed that FI light remains.... Does it only go out after the bike starts?

Suggestions welcome!

2. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Tip sensor? It's above the headlight in the fairing on those. There are 3 wires that go to the Tip sensor...you can use a piece of safety wire to jump it. I believe you jump the two outers and leave the center wire. A quick google search will help. Not sure about the FI light though

3. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

This same thing happend to a race bike we built....knocked it off a C hair

4. +1

I don't know 03 CBRs but if you took the bike apart you could've installed the tip censor upside-down.

If not, did you try the obvious, turning the kill switch off then on?

If not, you can still be missing a fuse.

If all of those fail, was the bike in a crash? If so, the wiring harness could've been damaged.

Best of luck man!

5. ped

ped Banned

is the kill switch set to run position?

6. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

The only thing we know from when it ran and did not run... is that the key was broken inside the ignition... Key was taken out and a new ignition is now available...

We have run the old ignition and no go... We have run the new ignition and nothing... The switches have been turn on and off at least 50 times....

Today we are removing all plastics and locating the Bank Angle Sensor or TIP Sensor per 600RR.Net

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=270680

7. RightSideUp

RightSideUp Well-Known Member

To test jump the 2 outer wires going to the tip sensor do nothing with the middle one if it primes you found the problem. Also some model CBRs will not prime if there is a bad connection with any of the fuel injectors.

Good luck

8. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

We jump the Tip Sensor.... Nothing. Cranks but does NOT start.

The harness connector going to the fuel pump has NO power... We hot wired the Fuel Pump to the battery and the pump runs. I try starting the Bike with the pump running... Nothing. Cranks but does NOT start.

I was suggested we clean up the on/off start switch. We clean the on/off start switch to make sure it's not an electrical contact issue.

Thanks on the tip on the connectors on the fuel injector... I will look into that in the morning. Maybe this is it!.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION!

My buddy was telling me that when the key was broken in the ignition. It took a while to switch it to the off position, and the battery had drain... So they jump the battery with a car, and the bike did started. Last time it started.

If anyone has a link to a 2003 CBR600RR wiring harness. We would much appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

9. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Burn it.

10. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

Same sentiment... :D

11. Jwheat

Jwheat Active Member

I battled this exact issue recently. Ultimately found a severed wire in
    the wiring from the switch to the wiring harness. The harness looked good, but it was clipped inside somehow. If bike has been crashed anything is possible.