1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to tires

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Rob P, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I'm 165, maybe 185 in gear. Bike is a KX 100 so fairly light maybe 160lbs. Issue is loosing the front when pushed. Can't seem to get tires past about 130 degrees. I have been riding it foot out style mainly due to bike size limiting my mobility. I will adjust that a bit and adopt a bit more knee out weight forward style to try and load the front. All of the crashes have been front end crashes at what I would consider an okay pace.

2. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

How wide is your front wheel? If it is narrower than a 125 wheel you could have a profile problem.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Im no suspension guru but maybe you have improper ride height up front?

4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Drop the front and get your body forward.

5. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

2.5" front.

6. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Short of lowering the forks not much I haven't tried with ride height. I've tried a range of springs from very soft to hard. Finally opted for cartridges which allowed me control of compression and rebound seperatelay to try and use rebound too keep front end down lower in the stroke.

7. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

This has been promising. Worked on it towards the end of the day and it helped with the front feeling more planted. I will need to work on this more. Problem tends to be ergonomic though.

8. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Definitely start with adjusting the forks in the trees and get your body up over the front. Also keep in mind that you'll never get the bike setup as well as a sport bike.

All that being said, in terms of slicks I went to a GP rear on the front on both bikes. I've been told its wrong but for me it just works.

9. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I've got the forks as high as I can get them, they are hitting the bars. I will have to get more creative.

10. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

I have tried both Dulops and Bridgestones on my crf150r and like the Dunlops better, they are much better when cold.

I run about 20psi!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  11. hrc_nick_11

My CRF150 is stock height in the rear and the forks are about 2 inches up in the front triple. BBR springs, revalved by Litz.

It handles great road race style.

I can lean it over till the pegs drag and that is a long way on a dirtbike.

12. hrc_nick_11

On my bike I have a spacer to raise the bars so I could bring he forks up more. The suspension has full travel cause I also ride the dirt on the same bike with the forks in the correct place.

13. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to find some take offs to try, both Pirelli and Dunlops.

Handle bar spacers are a good idea, I'll give them a try. I too want to retain full travel.

14. hrc_nick_11

15. backcountryme

I know it sounds strange but I run a mountain bike handlebar on my XR. It is a HD bar that is a 1/4 inch thick walled tube. The rise is only 1 inch. I found having my grips really low helped me keep my body forward and the front planted.

16. hrc_nick_11

I've run clip-ons on the 150r but my old as can't take it anymore. I'm all about comfort now.

17. hrc_nick_11

18. backcountryme

The rule in the class I run says your grips have to be above the top triple and you have to use stock mounting points. That is why I went with the real low rise Downhill mountain bike bar.

Can't really see the bar, but you can see how low the grips are.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You can reduce fork length internally without changing useable travel. I've done it on a few dirt forks for customers that ran into the same issue you're having.

20. backcountryme

It has been my experience that if you can get your hands lower (low bar position) it effects the handling of these small bikes more then getting the forks lower. I would put the lowest, flattest bars I could if you have to run risers.