1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad to see endurance series fail

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by EXPERT35, Aug 29, 2014.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Paid for my fuel for the race by selling VP.
    $250 to $1500 from Kawasaki for racing their brand is being paid for racing.
    Free tires and contingency from Pirelli & Michelin is being paid for racing.
    I believe it was up to $175 from WERA --Being paid to race.

I could give a shit about Moto-St. They screwed themselves, and I only raced a few rounds with them.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I never said anything about being paid to race or making contingency or purse money. Neither did you. We were discussing making a profit or breaking even through racing Endurance.

3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

That was my whole point, and I said it in a previous post.

4. BEi Racing

BEi Racing Well-Known Member

Gary....you're getting to be like the rest of the pricks on the BBS that do not race but still have a opinion on everything! :D

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

You can blame that on Michelin's 2009 Pilot Power 160 not being able to last more than a hour before going to shit.
    I'm very sad that we had to throw in the towel. I'm just lucky to be able to say I raced the series when it was in it's prime.
    Remember you were the one who talked me out of quitting in 2000 :p

6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

The tires were free! Throw a new one on every 10 laps. :D

Still remember doing the Grattan 8-hour years ago with you guys.

7. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

2nd year with Moose on Michelins. We only were allotted 4 sets.
    Went through 4 rears in 4.5 hours.
    Yeah, that was our 1st attempt at building an endurance tank :D
    I think it was 10 gallons :crackup:

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

"Gary I think it's leaking..."

"More JB weld!"

:D

9. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Dam Gary! Yer not very well liked in the endurance community any longer....

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thinking he's crazy doesn't mean I don't like him. Hell, if that were the case I wouldn't like any of you fools. :crackup:

11. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

HEY!!!!!
    some of us resemble that remark!!!! :rock:

12. SV88

SV88 CCS 88

CMRA

Raced it back in 2010. Expensive coming down from Chicago but it was an unforgettable experience. CMRA was thinking of doing a 24 hr @ Texas world before they bulldoze the place but I don't think its going thru.

I would be nice to see a true national endurance series. The CCS TC is too short (took 2nd in 07 on an sv) and CMRA is Texas and 2 races @ Hallett.

Moto ST was cool while it lasted.

13. mperussault

mperussault Well-Known Member

I think there was a good turnout in 2013 with many regular teams, something like 10 to 13 regulars. The 2014 endurance schedule spooked everybody with too much to endure travel (and cost and time off) to OK, TX and Nola and most of the teams vaporized. If you recall there was a post on my Facebook early this year and something like 8 – 10 teams immediately said they would not run the series. Interestingly enough it seems that these 2013 teams were truly in for the “entire” series (like we did) and did not even show up at Roebling because… why bother when you are in for the points for the year. The same may be true for Barber.
    The TC opening round at Roebling in March had 40 entries and almost 1000 entries total for the week end.... that tells you something.

I am sure that you noticed that when Endurance teams are not participating in a race week end, the “sprint” number of entries revenues goes down accordingly, number of people at the track goes down, tires sales go down, gate revenues go down etc. Do you take that into consideration when you say that Endurance is not profitable in itself or do you just look at track rental $ versus $ endurance entry fees.

Anyway, is the Endurance series totally dead or are you considering a mostly Southeast tracks series, since this is where most of the teams seems to be from?

14. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Yo! has never been a serious effort. We usually do one round per year, some years none, maybe one year we did two. I did ask the guys about it and none of them were able (or wanted) to do Roebling, I can't afford to front all the expenses and then hope I can find some people to ride.

15. lance89

lance89 Well-Known Member

for my self coming from PA I couldn't see doing all the traveling. every endurance race this year was 10 plus hours, and for no purse. This was the 1st year in probably 10 years that I didn't compete in at least 1 WERA endurance round.
    I never understood how the purse went from paying six different payouts to a big 0. I know people do it because we love it, but no payout at all I just can't see people doing it. I think things got slow and WERA made to many cuts and in turn lost more people.

16. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Heck, even from Nashville every round except Barber was a minimum 8 hour drive. 5 hours is my "reasonable" zone. Once a year I've done a longer trek since getting into this madness, but NOLA and Roebling both came at impossible times for me this go around. Not whining, just laying it out there. I'm a club racer with heavy emphasis on club. My participation is entirely for my enjoyment, not to help a cause or keep a program alive. WERA is a business and you don't stay in business stubbornly losing money on a product that is no longer in fashion. Cuts both ways.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I agree the schedule for 2014 hurt. However the 10-13 regulars while we appreciated the support didn't pay the bills. The sprint income didn't go up as much as making those events Sportsman rounds did. We take all of it into consideration and the series has cost us money for many years now.

WERA National Endurance is absolutely dead for 2015. We cannot afford to try anything at this point. I don't know about the USNE and working with CMRA again if they're interested. We didn't bring a lot to the table as far as teams although we did with some sponsorship and contingency. Once we all have some time we'll talk about it and go from there.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Loss of sponsorship cash was the first thing. Add that to not enough teams to pay the bills even with the purse money and it just had to be cut.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's pretty much it. I kept fighting (literally, it made for some bad times being married to the boss) for the series and it kept losing money. I don't know how much I cost WERA but it's at least a few hundred grand over the years keeping something going out of love for it and ignoring the business aspect.

20. Offtopic, but what is it yall are talking about? Is that the "Relay Race" type thing that is being discussed in another thread on here?

Does each person ride their own bike? Or is it just like an Endurance race with one bike, but shorter?

If it is in fact a relay race thing like being discussed in another thread, I would like to see WERA do something like that. I think it would be cool.