1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Investments

Discussion in 'General' started by Sheik Abdul ben Falafel, Sep 16, 2014.

1. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing.

Sheik, if your investment timeline wasn't so short, I'd look at investing in the following.

PMC's
    Retirement communities
    land/homes in central america

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Who the hell gets foreclosed on in your neighborhood? NBA/NFL player?

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

When I was in the mortgage business 20 years ago, we did a construction loan on a higher end Assisted Living Facility here in S. Florida. I believe from the time the plans were drawn until the day they kicked the doors open was over 18 months. Figure another 8-12 months for lease up. It's a good business.

unfortunately not possible to duplicate that now, this is when land costs were about $8K per unit. Now they're closer to $50K. No money to be made.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Give me two years and I'd still play with the NoVa townhouses but less of them. I'd look at Five Guys franchises up in PA.

If I had a time machines I'd have made a run at that Clapton Patek but that 1 year limit is the tough part. You'd need to sit on it for 2 ~ 4 years to make any real cash with that.

5. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

YES

6. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

The one year time frame makes it mighty difficult.

7. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I can't believe we are on three pages without the obvious

[​IMG]

8. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Penny stocks :) With 5 million bucks I could run a pretty good pump and dump gig.

9. Gino230

That's exactly who. A friend of mine just bought an ex-NFL player's house. The guy lost it and an investor bought it, staged it (cleaned up and put some furniture / decorations in for showing purposes) and made himself $700k on a $1.9M deal. I figure he blew $30-50 grand carrying it for a year.

10. Gino230

Before you think too hard about franchises, you should read the wall street journal article from last week about franchising. The top default of all SBA loans in the US is Quizno's franchisees. Many others such as Cold Stone, Sylvan learning, etc. are in the top 10.

Running a franchise is very hard, you usually just end up making a living while the franchisor collects tons of fees and profits. Of course I'm not saying it can't be done, it can always be done, but some ways are harder than others.

11. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

Steve Francis.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

See, I wouldn't want them long term. I'd want to launch them, get the initial buzz going and the foot traffic going and then I'd want to get out. Fits into the 2 year mold.

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Don't you have this part covered already?:D

14. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

I always look at Pams when i think of investment watches. Pateks are too hit or miss for me. but you also know a lot more about watches than i do.
    5 guys has too much "buy in" needed. plus unlike a mcdonalds, it only does well near upscale hoods.

that is why i made the thread. gotta make it hard. :D

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I wouldn't invest a dime in watches right now. Not unless you fell into something wild like a fire sale on someone's 60s Rolex collection.

Too much hassle and the market is a bubble.

16. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

17. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

where do you live around houston?

the thing with chick-filet is that they dont do gas station attachments at all...I only mess with that type of franchise eateries now.

18. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

I still hit up antique stores looking for a forgotten rolex. :D

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

no one came up with a "invest in me as a racer from wera to MotoGP" yet ?

:D

might take longer than a year though :D

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

$1 scratch offs ....