1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Investments

Discussion in 'General' started by Sheik Abdul ben Falafel, Sep 16, 2014.

1. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

They are just clearing the last hurdles around here. I suspect it depends on what state you are in as to market saturation.

2. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

A start-up business selling medically "necessary" devices, one that has shown initial growth already. A year only though, not a good long-term investment due to ever-changing healthcare/insurance laws.

3. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea. Some of the ETFs and MF's that focus on pot stocks have done well, mine included. :)

4. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

3 mil to lobby the state legislator of whichever state is on the verge, which puts you in good graces with local permitting. Then 2 mil to open a couple/few stores, sit back and count the cash.

5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I have heard you can make a killing buying website names. :D

6. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Hookers and blow.

Military equipment manufacturers. Wind energy / grid support.

7. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The best way to a fast return in Real Estate is buying foreclosures. Specifically, high end single family. Because cash is required there's not much competition. I would buy a couple foreclosures in luxury areas of Ft. Lauderdale and flip them.

I am not a fan of flipping anything other than burgers or pancakes, but since you said $5M and one year I'm assuming a Brewster's Millions type scenario.

Otherwise I'm a buy and hold type.

PS look at Heidi Klum's house. She bought it for about half of what she just sold it for a few years ago.

8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

A company with a lousy debt structure. Restructure debt after purchase at a lower rate and flip it at the end of the year.

9. dickie doo

You heard wrong. :crackup:

10. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

We have been doing that.

I never buy a home (even for myself) unless it is under foreclosure.

11. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

FIFY

12. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Those are usually leveraged to all hell around here as whomever owned it sucked the cash out of them to try and save their business/marriage or whatever on the way down.

Better to market to the personal representatives on probate cases where there are high end homes directly. Usually ends up being a kid who doesn't want to deal with the headache and will dump them quick for cash.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

NoVa townhouses in the $250K ~ $300K price level.

One year quick flip since your 1 year limit is such a fast turn around.

14. dickie doo

The struggle is real. :crackup:

15. dickie doo

Much more accurate. :up:

16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Locally - Real estate. There's a shortage of houses in our area for the middle class but only a couple builders who could make it happen but need a third or a fourth to be a silent.

Business - High end nursing home. I feel horrible saying that but the amount of money those places make is just insane. Build it, get the clients secured and sell it.

17. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

In a year?!?!?!?!?!

18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

19. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

Ever seen what a 22k sq ft luxury home costs to build on a 20acre plot vs. the same house for foreclosure? :D

I bet i paid less for my home than most 5k sq ft homes.

my cheapness is epic. :crackup:

20. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I would pay you $100k to tell me what to do with it. I'd still come out gobs ahead, because if it were totally up to me, I'd spend it racing and be broke again in two years.