1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fun Mini Race at the GNF

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by kevinnolde, Sep 15, 2014.

1. kevinnolde

kevinnolde kandjracingsolutions.com

Just wondering if there was any more info out there. I'll drive the boys up there for the track time, what's the deal Mongo?

2. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Didn't think mini's ran at the GNF???

3. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Minis run at the GNF at Barber. It is the big track. They run about half the full course. Keep in mind that there are CRF150Rs out there doing 95ish mph.... That track will kill a KLX110.... Just my .02.

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

150's will go 95???:eek:

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Shoot... in 2012 we ran the full course when my 100 was geared for a 5/8 mile track...lol. I think there were a couple guys in the 1:50s on monster minis. Think I turned a 2:24 on the rev limiter right out of 17 all the way down the front straight

6. Cam Morehead

Ha ha.... Well, some of them go faster than 95 but I will let others give you their top speeds... Tdub, to the red phone, Tdub, come to the red phone please.....

7. Cam Morehead

[​IMG]

1:46.9 on a 150R engine in a RS125 frame.
    Jackson Blackmon.
    12 years old.
    Full Course.
    GNF 2013.

8. kevinnolde

So back to the topic at hand...

I am guessing that the race has been determined to be a fun race due to lack of earlier mini participation and need to strengthen the mini ranks for future roadracer production. That being said I am not trying to suggest that minis all need to be RS framed 85/150s and to save bread some more motards need to be out there. Kevin had a great time running his KX65 this year at Barber though his machinery was definitely the knife at a gunfight compared to built GP framed minis. Perhaps differentiation is the order of the day to get some more minis out there that didn't cost more than 2 or 3k to build. Of course a suspended and piped Grom is almost 5k so who's to say? Just saying there needs to be a place for the less expensive stuff or we will never fill up the smaller classes.

9. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

We be Gromming it this year!!!!

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a fun race and labeled such so that no one thinks it's for a championship. However, it is Barber so I'm running minis. Normal classes plus I'm adding a Grom class - same overall race and everything just gridded together.

Also - it is the full course, too much work to pull the k-rail out of the cut through once they staked it down for Indy Car.

11. kevinnolde

Grid the groms up front

Grid the Gromlings up front for passing fun by the faster minis.See you there!

12. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Fun Race?? The Grom race is to the death!! :D

13. jwb

jwb but... I AM NAPOLEAN!!!!

what's the rule set going to be for the Groms?
    run what you brung?
    Spec-ish?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  14. kevinnolde

And so it begins..

How about production or stock groms in one class and another class for modded. Like the intent of the CMRA rules, they have now been perverted and guys with modded groms are in the front, lets face it a mod to the forks that costs $500 plus a shock and other mods make it nearly impossible for a stock grom to compete with it. Maybe claiming rules or something should be implemented or will some of the racers overspend this class out of favor like so many others, minis, ex 250 etc....

15. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

A good 65 smoker should leave a grom for dead. They would both run superbike 50 with wera.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

wonder what a 120 kitted xr100 with 28mm carb & pipe would do...:D

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Begins? Been talking about it for the last few weeks... No claiming rules. They do not work.

18. jwb

so, i guess that means there is not a rule set just yet?

any ideas when one will be finalized?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For 2015? November. For the GNF? Meh, don't need no rules for the Grom class (but I'd prefer close to the CMRA rules for engine work).

20. jwb

IMO... somehting would be better than nothing... it does not take much to add 3+ hp on these things and when you only make 9 to begin with, each and every one really counts...

i don't have a dog in this hunt as i totalled the Pink Bean out on the way to TWS in july, but, there are several from the CMRA who are interested... perhaps and open and a stock motored class?