1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nutrition for the "Real World" Anyone know of some good references?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Aug 17, 2014.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Hey guys, I'm finally getting tired of not having a decent handle on my nutrition. Like all (or most of you) I want to eat better and keep myself in decent shape. However, life (job, kids, other commitments, etc.) always seem to get in the way of eating right.

I've looked around at some nutrition books, and I can't seem to find any decent books that are written for the real world. What I mean is, I can't have just drop everything in the middle of the work day and have some grilled chicken and veggies. Sometimes I'm lucky if I get a lunch. While I consider myself lucky in that I work in an office, as opposed to outside or in the trenches, but there are still times when it's difficult to get a decent meal in.

As always, any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

You have more control of your "diet" if you pack your own lunch.

3. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

First, learn what food really is. Second, don't look for a no effort solution. Skip the nutrition books and start with figuring out what is real food. Then you can focus on what you need specifically. Read Michael Pollan's books 'Omnivore's Dilemma' and 'In Defense of Food.' Cut out the processed crap, understand that bread and cereal really aren't while grains, and remember that food companies are profit centers first.

You don't have to go all crazy, shopping only at Whole Foods, and only eating hydroponic lettuces grown in unicorn tears. Just think about what you are consuming, and why.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It's easier to get rid of-
    Junk food
    Anything pre-made. (microwave stuff)
    Soda
    Fast food
    Restaurant food

All you're left with outside those categories is stuff you have to prepare or buy fresh or grow yourself. If it looks impossible then you ain't serious.

5. Chip

Chip Registered

Eat shit with one ingredient...like chicken, asparagus, apple, tomato..etc. Avoid sugar and bread.

Simple.

6. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

That's probably the simplest and most effective way I've ever heard someone explain proper nutrition :up:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid: Usually anything pre-made coming out of a box isn't good for you.

8. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Does "donut" count as one ingredient?

9. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

This was my method as well. The great thing about starting this right now is that so many tasty veggies are in season. Visit your farmer's market and buy some seasonal stuff. Then figure out how to cook it (the farmer you buy from typically has some good ideas/recipes). Then figure out where to put it in a meal to compliment the other items. I rely on this site a ton for that info. Then just tune the nuances over time. This year I decided to chase fiber intake so I put more emphasis on meeting that goal in my daily-weekly plan.

Just to get all hippie for a minute, I can't tell you have much I enjoy supporting my local economy through buying locally raised food. I drive by those fields now looking at the state of the crop. My shopping doesn't just happen at the grocery store. It adds a new layer to the joy I get from riding off the beaten track.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  10. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Hell yeah it does :D

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

ALOT of people are in the same exact boat (in fact they are far busier) but they still make it work. Its called meal prep at the beginning of the week for what you are going to eat for the next couple of days. Its not that hard and if you set aside a little time at the beginning of the week you can prep everything for the next several days.

[​IMG]

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Curious, how is the chicken/veggies cooked? Any seasoning on the chicken?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is cool but variety is good too :D

14. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

I pretty much limit my intake of these items and it has helped me out. When I do dine out, I immediately take half my order and put it in a to-go box. Portion control has been the biggest help for me.

15. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

Go to a nutritionist. It is money well spent.

16. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Sheik, there are some clueless nutritionists out there. My town of 250K has exactly two that are covered under my insurance. Neither could give advice more current than the 80's. "Switch to diet soda!"

17. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

food = fuel. not flavor. get that through your head, and it gets easier.

every day i eat exactly the same thing. every sunday i spend an hour prepping all my breakfasts and lunches for the week. my dishwasher is full at any given time of tupperware, and i own more tupperware than most families and im the only one in my house eating this way.

dinner i do switch up, but its a rotation of three things. (fish, chicken, steak)

its pretty much impossible to "dine out" and eat healthy. so i eat before we go out (married, pregnant wife) and just drink wherever we are out eating. if i wanted to drop the last couple percentages of bodyfat i would have to cut my alcohol intake, and, with a pregnant hormonal wife, i just cant do that :D

18. Phl218

Phl218 .

curry on box 1
    garlic on box 2
    cumin on box 3
    paprika on box 4

:up:

19. styles

styles The untrained eye

McDonald's has salads for christ's sake. It's not hard at all.

20. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Good lord. The two aren't mutually exclusive. You can eat well and still have it taste good. This idea that eating healthy means eating bland is probably a major reason why people eat like shit in the first place.

Running a few extra miles always makes me feel better about those few extra drinks. :D:beer: