1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roadrace 2003...Roadrace 2014?

Discussion in 'General' started by El Skwid!, Jul 22, 2014.

1. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

So I was feeling the need for some on board race footage set to kick-ass rock 'n roll, without a bunch of boring commentary about what mechanic drives the hauler to the next round, & threw Mark Brereton's epic work in the player.
    80 uplifting minutes well spent. Those of you that have no knowledge of this disc should check it out.

It got me thinking that someone needs to do an updated version.
    Some of the tracks have been re-aligned, some repaved & at least one dropped.
    Every hot-shot (& some not so hot) has AT LEAST 1 Go-Pro or equivalent on their bike. Sure most of it goes to youboob, but with a little effort a compilation could be made.
    I'd throw down $20 for a copy.
    There has to be some great bands in Atl that would donate their original tunes for exposure.
    Put it on Kickstarter or the other fundraising sites if needed.

I've heard ol' KKessler is some sort of sound guy, he should know some band types.
    Throw together some D Crooks SV footage with Honda Joey CBR podium battles, some Anne Roberts & Heather Szymanik 600/750 stuff & you have a race DVD for everyone.
    Add on a portion of the proceeds going to the airfence fund &/or what used to be the Red Flag Fund (I think that was the name that helped crashed guys with medical $$) & it's win/win.

Just throwing the idea out there, & using a few names I know.

I have no camera, & any on board I shot if I did would be a great view of the track due to my less than impressive lap times.

2. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Not any that will work for free, at least none you would want to listen to. :D

+1 on the idea, though. Really like the work Brereton did.

3. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Would've been a hit, but Metalhead retired.

4. sowega

sowega #710

A great idea, but, if you want to make a high-quality project, there are definitely things to consider:

- In the span of ten-ish years, our collective attention span has shortened considerably. In order to keep the viewer engaged (ESPECIALLY a viewer that isn't already a racer), a new video like Mark's would require a metric fuckton more editing and post work.

-The Roadrace DVD came out before GoPros, etc, and it was the first time a lot of us had seen a lot of on-board footage. Now, every trackday dickhole posts his 25-minute, unedited pile of shit on youtube the second he gets home. There's no more novelty involved; we know the deal, and -quite honestly- we're getting to the point at which we're running out of novel ways to put a camera on a motorcycle. The next step is going to be quadcopters/drones/whatever, as soon as we can figure out a way to put them -SAFELY- close to bikes at speed.

- The absolutely ridiculous amount of time it takes to screen, edit, compile, re-edit, and do the post for a quality piece of video editing. I started putting together an hours sheet for the short (<5 minute) race vids I was doing, and had to quit because it got depressing. Seriously, it's like adding up the money you spend on racing. Even if you find someone who'll edit for free, expect it to take months, if not years, to complete.

- It takes more than a bunch of video clips. Mark's DVD worked because, whether by design or not, a narrative strung it together. A new project would almost certainly require someone who has a feel for the way films are made. Also, there would need to be as much, if not more, paddock-, shop-, and home-filmed footage to give the race stuff context.

- Distribution. Do you want to press DVDs/Blu-Rays? Do you want to post it on youtube and hope to recoup the expenses with ad cash? Cross your fingers and hope Netflix wants it? Or do you just want to fund it with the knowledge that you're almost certainly spending the money without hope of a return? For the record, I'd certainly contribute to the latter, because I think the project would be worthwhile, but I have done this enough to not expect to ever see the money again.

So, there you go. A few opinions from a dude who has a little experience.

5. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

I can tell you first hand, those DVD's Mark put together took an assload of time to edit and put together. He and i were pit-mates for several years prior to his accident as well as during the time he produced those (hence why he put me in them, much to my dismay). But i got to listen to him talk about how much time at the computer it took him to edit and produce them, and yea, he was using a hand-held video cam along with come creative home made mounts for the footage.

I still watch them from time to time, and still laugh my ass off at my footage as well as the scene of my son at the end of one has just checked out Skips' EX girlfriends aftermarket boobs. I think Mark's words were something along the lines of "ahhh, the things you see growing up at the track." :crackup:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  6. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

Thanks for the input, especially from an original participant.
    I have no knowledge of movie making.
    I'm coming at this from the fan of racing & good music point of view.
    I'm hoping someone else will take the ball & run with it, someone already in or near Atl, that has some background/connections in video/audio.
    I'm in from the support side, but I do know the hopes of 'making' money are slim to none.
    It seems to me WERA itself would get behind an idea like this from a promotional point of view, think of it as advertising.
    I thought following a racer, or two or three, over the season would tie the tracks together, essentially a video version of what Sam Fleming is doing in RRW with his endurance racing articles.