1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triumph Tire Wear

Discussion in 'Tech' started by spoon32, Jun 24, 2014.

1. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

Second year on a '12 675 with an Elka rear shock and running Pirelli SC1 rubber on the rear. I have had tearing like shown below everywhere I go and in all temperatures. I usually run 26psi hot off the track and use warmers for 45-60min prior to running.
    I have tried raising and lowering pressures, going to extremes on both compression and rebound, and rider sags from 15mm all the way up to 35mm.

Elka originally sent me a 500# spring for my 170 weight but Im thinking this is too soft given the progressive nature of the 675 linkages. Using a zip tie on the shock it consistently ends up right against the bumper. I know that method isn't super reliable though. I've tried calling Elka a few times and they neither pickup the phone or return my messages.

If anyone has any thoughts it'd be much appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  2. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Looks like a pressure issue to me (versus suspension). I have run the same tire at 27psi with success. Have you tried multiple gauges to make sure you aren't way off on the pressure?

3. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

I use a longacre digital gauge usually, but it does match up with a couple other lower quality gauges I have in the garage.

4. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I would do as you said, and try a heavier spring.

6. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

Thanks for the advice guys. We are all three correct. I called accelerated technologies and they said Elka is way off on their recommended rates for the 675. Very helpful people and I look forward to repaying them in the future with some business.

(600# spring minimum was the answer.)

7. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

What were the track and ambient temps?

I have had issues on my R6 with the SC1s tearing when its cloudy or a little cooler outside. I talked with MDM Mike at VIR about it and he suggested a stiffer spring as well which I have not done. It was cloudy in the morning and I had tearing. When it got hotter in the afternoon, I put a new SC1 on and there was no tearing.

proprocket28 likes this.
  8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

We run the SC1 rear in 50 degree weather, up to 100 degree weather. Aside from Mid-O being a little finicky, we generally don't run into issues. Pressure is important. Suspension setup is importanter.

:)

9. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

I had similar if not worse wear from using a stock shock that didnt have enough spring in it for my big ass. Eddie here helped me identify the issue and get at least a temporary solution that weekend but what is happening is the tire is starting to do the job of the suspension.

10. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

This wear actually is from Mid-O. I went over this past sunday to do some setup experimenting. My last run the track was pretty empty so I did a full race run at 110% percent.

I've never run the SC2 rear, but I will try it at some point if for no other reason than to compile info.
    That said, I ran the SC1 at Grattan this spring (which was the first time I was ever cold in leathers) and didn't have worse issues.

11. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

I would go with what he says.

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

When our team ran Pirellis, the SC2 rear was 1.5-2 seconds a lap slower tire, vs. the SC1. This was the beginning of 2012 and there were major changes in 2013, but I would ask around before spending the money to go slower.

13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

A 500 lb. spring is way too soft for a 12 675 being ridden at any kind of real pace. Depending on what you weigh and your pace, you want to be in the 600 lb. range. At least. That tire is tearing because it's doing the shock's job.

Edit:

Didn't see this before I posted. But that.

In my experience, Elka has very limited data on spring rates for a lot of motorcycles.