1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mini racing a grom!

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Dragginass, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Does anyone have thoughts/experience on the matter? I need a new pit bike, mini racer ( for kart track @ NOLA), and street toy. Hoping a Grom could pull triple duty. Do they make sticky tires for it, or is it too heavy to mini race anyway?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, CMRA has a Grom class - not a huge turnout but still pretty cool.

3. Dragginass

Apparently they are still hard to find @ dealers. Hoping I can luck into a used one somewhere .

4. jwb

jwb but... I AM NAPOLEAN!!!!

we put 3 on the grid at Houston and 9 at TWS... we will see how many show at ECR this weekend...

a little faster than a stock XR100...

stock suspension leads to much wallowing and dragging of hard parts... Ohlins makes a legit shock and JRI is in the process of building one with compression and rebound... RaceTech in the front or throw some 30wt in it and call it good...

the footpeg brackets are a weak point in crashing...

if you like mini's and the kind of racing they represent, they are super fun...

Attached Files:

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

must be a grom-nomenon :D

Aren't they like ~$3200 new?
    A couple FL dealers have em sitting around collecting dust.

6. TurboBlew

any grid pics? The gromsters are gromming at the bit to see that.

7. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

bunch of dealerships in so cal have em new. not many are for sale used around here. saw one in the pits at CVMA and it looks like a hoot.

8. jwb

no... we grom'd that up for sure... i will make it a point to have someone pull out their jesus phone and capture us in all our gromination on the grid this weekend

btw... these are our Grom trophies built by our class sponsor FOUR81 Motos
    https://www.facebook.com/FOUR81Motos?fref=photo

Attached Files:

9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Buy one now! By that, I mean right now. Caleb and I are on our way to crash it for you in spectacular fashion. As soon as they get down to $1500 on the used market, I'm putting my orthopaedic surgeon on speed dial and diving in.

10. TurboBlew

11. Dragginass

The wife just got a new car.....it only seems fair I should get a grom, right?

12. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

What is the max weight rating on those?

Serious question.

13. Dragginass

.63 Sheiks or 2 goats. Whichever comes first:D

14. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

I cant do metric. can you convert that to sheep or camels?

much obliged.

15. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Gotta be more than say an XR100. I'm a husky 240lbs and run a 100 with heavier springs.

16. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Shiek is a brown brock lesnar. 240lbs is his left thigh. :D

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I find that surprising. Perhaps the track layout is the determining factor. My XR tops out around 50mph with bigger tires and a 46 tooth rear sprocket. Given more room to run, the Grom will be a solid 10mph faster, but most kart tracks aren't that big.

On paper, the Grom should destroy a stock XR... better tire options, much better brakes. Even with the additional mass, those two factors are significant.

I like the idea of the Grom, but $4k for a bike that offers the same performance (at least in a race setting) as an CRF100 seems like a poor value.

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/104348-first-track-ride-with-the-grom/#entry1383015

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  18. jwb

value????
    GTFO

the Grom is a 12" wheeled street legal bike that gets 100+ mpg and is ridiculously fun to ride any and everywhere...

in street clothes, i hit 73 on my bone stock Grom going downhill with a tail wind cathcing a draft off a semi before i got into the red limiter... at TWS i saw about 64ish in the draft... we had an XR that was able to stay with us when we were dicing... fast lap for fast lap, i was about 3 seconds faster... that number shrinks considerably on a kart track...

of course, a pipe and the intake mod stretches it out a little... getting rid of the stock Vee rubber and spooning on some 601s and it eases out a little more... throw some suspension at the Grom and the XR would not be able to see which way it went... but, stock, the Grom is only going to be a little faster than the XR...

BTW... the link you provided... realize that that dude was slow as shit if he had no problems with the stock suspension or tires... they are horrible on the track suspension way more so than the tires, but, it is so soft that you can't push thye chassis enough to exploit how bad the tires are...

19. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

My "race ready" XR100 cost me about $1000 with new tires.

How much is a Grom going for?

As a track bike, it is a poor value. The same $4k would buy you a LOT more performance if spent on something different. If you're talking about street riding, I understand that the quality of parts and fuel economy increase its stock, but that said, I would buy a the CRF 230 dual-sport used for $3k instead.

As for the guy's write-up about his on-track experience with the Grom, Ryan has never professed to be an expert racer. It was an opinion he wrote based on the other bikes he has owned. For minis, I believe he had an NSR 50 and I know he has raced XR/CRF100's. His grom will definitely have every trick part on it that is available. The suspension comment was likely based on the fact that he was rusty, and the track was green. It was the first nice day of the year in Ohio... I doubt he was pushing his own limits, or those of his basically brand-new bike.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  20. jwb

i picked my grom up for 3K... they could have charged twice as much and i still would consider it a good "value"... 10 mins from street use to track...

as an aside... it is not a "track" bike... nor is an XR, a CRF, or a GSXR... it is a street bike that we are putting on the track because we will race anything...