1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prenup- how much?

Discussion in 'General' started by socal, Apr 3, 2014.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If you had any idea when you posted, your sentence would have been more precise than that useless "much lower." You went into Google mode when called out on it.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Correct, 1/2 of ALL not first.....but still not THAT far off. Would you recommend someone to invest 1/2 their money into a company that has a 40% prospect of going bankrupt? I wouldn't

http://www.mckinleyirvin.com/blog/divorce/32-shocking-divorce-statistics/

[​IMG]

source: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/marriage_divorce_tables.htm

3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

This is all reminding me of the standup Chris Rock had about pre-nups. His opinion was the less you have the more you need one. If you have 100 million, and the wife wants half, big deal you aren't starving.

If you have 30,000 and she wants 15, you might have to kill her.

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

No I went to google to find the article I read about it awhile ago.

I don't keep a stash of a link to everything I read just to please you when I say someone is wrong.

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Yeup. And they can't visit you in the hospital nor you can't visit.

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Depends on the company. You can't just look at rates and make a determination on its chance for success. If you do then you aren't looking deep enough to get any accuracy.

7. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

Im married, have been for 8 or 10 years or something. Im 36. In todays day and age there is a great chance your wife makes more money then you. If she doesn't you are doing wrong. Either work less or marry up. Ha.

My wife's dad is an anesthesiologist. Was married for 25 yers. His old wife got about 8K a month when they divorced about 10 years ago - you can bet your ol' grey balls he pre-nupted with the new wife (with four kids and great investments it was the smart thing to do - protects those assets).

New wife likely would have bailed a few times already (she is bat shit crazy lady and he would be real hard to live with) but if she does she dont get those trips to Mexico anymore. My wife insited on the pre-nup and the new wife could not act offended by the pre-nup because then it would be evidence that she was in it for the $$ (which she probably is).

Works both ways....

8. socal

socal Well-Known Member

We are older so we won't be having kids. She has her own house and retirement account. I have mine. Just don't want to pay alimony especially in no fault California.

I gotta believe I can get a simple uncontested prenup for under $5k...

9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

You need the Massey pre-nup

10. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

And let me guess ... he let the pre-nup work go to the lowest bidder, you know the guy who will do any legal work at a fraction of the price of other attorneys, maybe he even went on line and filled out one of those one-size-fits-all-regardless-of-which-state-you're-in forms posted by bitchcakes, right? No?

11. DirtNap

DirtNap used, but not used up.

any chance to can create a "post nup" :eek:

12. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

There is a interesting documentary out called Divorce Corp. ( search the google and u tube)
    and it is scary.

13. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Not all states treat this equally. In PA, you can live together for a long time, but, as long as you don't present yourself as being married in any way, common law doesn't pertain. However, if you present yourself as being married (file taxes as married but filing single/joint, tell insurance company you're married to get lower rate, etc), regardless of how long you've been together, then common-law applies.

14. keevo54

keevo54 Well-Known Member

May sound like a lot up front but its well worth it

15. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

100% of divorces are caused by marriage.....

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Sounds like my life circa 1997.

Short story long, I married again in 2004, and $HE was the one that needed a prenup :wow: and she was MUCH hotter than wife #1. On a whim I facetube stalked the ex about a year ago... Let's just say that time hasn't been kind. :Puke:

Bottom line: It gets better. :beer:

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Oh shit, you're in Cali?! Yeah you better get that paper........

http://myocfamilylawyer.com/457

California's divorce rate is so high they wouldn't report it publicly for a while I think, it had to be researched by a private law firm

18. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

make sure rent is 50/50.

19. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

ever

Sorry. I had to.

20. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

I'm sure Dits can create a post-nup the question is, can you get her to sign it? ;)