1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MTB Peeps- Brake question/suggestion

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, Feb 10, 2014.

1. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I am seriously considering buying the new Epic world cup expert. The only component on the bike I am not too sure about is the brakes. It comes stock with Magura MTS. A friend bought the same bike in November and was having problems with chatter and howling from the brakes straight away. He found that the rotors were cracked in a few spots next to the mounting holes. According to the LBS, magura claimed it was because the bolts were over torqued. My buddy replaced the rotors and pads with Shimano rt-86 ice tech rotors and endurance pads. The brakes are quiet now and he says they have good feel and modulation. He also says that given his choice, he would prefer shimanos. (he had xt's on previous bike).

I have only spent reasonable time on cheap avids, xx avids, and the Formula R1/RX brakes on my current epic. I did not like either of the avids and I like my formulas. I am up in the air if I should just go the same route my friend did, or put complete new brakes front and rear. We have a team buy coming up where we can get pretty good pricing. I can probably get a great deal on the new shimano 987's. I figure if I go this direction right off, I have a brand new set of MTS's I can sell for a hundy or two on ebay.

So, I'm looking for your feedback on shimano xtr brakes (especially the new 987's), Magura brakes and Formula R1's. Anyone tried all three? What is your favorite and why? The guys at the LBS preach shimano brakes. I always like to get opinions from people other than who I am buying from. I know by reputation that the xtr's are solid, I've just heard they are a bit on/off feeling and up until the 987's, not exactly on the lighter side.

2. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I don't have experience with Maguras. I just got my first real mountain bike. It came with Avid brakes. They are total garbage. They work well but are extremely unreliable.

I dumped the front for a Shimano XT 785 Deore. I'm planning to do the back brake soon as well. They're rock solid, no problems at all. Just went for a ride today, my Shimano front was great and quiet going through 12 river crossings, the back Avid is squealing up a storm. Shimano also uses a regular motorcycle style bleed port. I'm so happy to be off that piece of shit Avid.

I don't believe that for my level the XTR is so much better as to be worth it, but if you can spend money on the full set just do it. I've seen eBay deals for a full XTR set minus rotors for 300 - 350.

I'm using the stock rotors. Shimano is rock solid, just go for it .

3. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Maguras are great brakes.Lots of good brakes make noise. But the bench mark in brakes right now are shimano xt or xtr.

4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

The problem with Avids isn't the noise, it's how they always need bleeding, and how pistons are always getting stuck. They're like a chick that's maybe a 6 being as high maintenance as an Italian supermodel.

They ought to be ashamed to even call themselves engineers for designing such pieces of shit. Why them come as OEM on so many bikes is beyond me.

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

i have magura louise on one of my bikes (203mm in the front thought), they're the shit and far better than the avid juicy on the other one (180).

if they're too loud and squeeky, just put some oil on em :Poke:

6. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

Hey Karl! I've not ridden on the Maguras, and I do know people who like them. Both my bikes currently have Shimano brakes. XT's on my Stumpjumper and XTR's on my HT. I couldn't be happier with either. They make very, very little (if any?) noise and offer bigtime power and modulation. My Stumpy came stock with Avid Exlixr 5's and I experimented with pads, bleeding and other tricks to quiet them down and stop the chatter but was never happy. I tried one other Hayes set up and hated it too. I got the XT's on sale at Pricepoint way cheaper and haven't looked back. I don't even think about brakes anymore. When I built the HT there was no decision, XTR's. I haven't regretted it. They just plain work. No noise, great modulation. Simple enough...

Good luck with your new bike. The Epic World Cup is my dream bike. :eek::up:

7. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

Go with XTR if you get the deal on them, but I'd recommend Hope M4 or M6 if you want something different. They're both a work of machining art and stop you at whatever level you need. Easily bled (altho' don't seem to need to be bled more than once a year, which I do just because). Good rotors too.

Cheers
    Barry

8. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

XT's are such a good value and bulletproof. Power is pretty good and modulation is good. I have on one bike and so does Bonnie.

I have Magura MT-8's on two of my bikes and Bonnie has MT-6's on one of hers. Simply the best feel/modulation of any brake I have ever used. Don't use the endurance pads..they squeal in dusty conditions. Magura's are spendy but I'll hook you up with a great deal on a set of MT-8's if they are going on that nice bike.

9. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will try to get a ride on my friends bike to see how I like the feel of the Maguras with the Ice tech rotors. Then i will see how good our team buy price is on the xtr's.( I have to admit that I like the look of the new titanium xtr's.) If it doesn't workout, I may take you up on that deal on MT8's Monte.

10. Bryan_A

Bryan_A Well-Known Member

I recently upgraded to Magura MT2 brakes... a far cry better than what I had! Haven't had any issues at all. My son just got a Magura sponsorship and is riding on MT8's. After a short ride on his bike... WOW, what a difference. Next step for me is to sell the MT2 and buy MT8!

11. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

I've owned MT-6's and XT's. I like them both and both are trouble free. Slight edge to the XT's for fade resistance on longer downhills.

12. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

MT-6 is the exact same brake without the 100% carbon construction.