1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race School Question

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by imaboa, Nov 30, 2013.

1. imaboa

imaboa Member

I am looking to start racing in 2014, and have two questions regarding race schools. I took the California Superbike Level 1&2 school last August. The excerpt from the rule book doesn't specify which school meets the criteria. CSS offers the level 1&2, 3&4, and Code Race School. Is the level 1&2 school sufficient provided I take the classroom part of the WERA school?

The second question: Is there a schedule of WERA race schools to take the classroom part of the school (or the whole school depending on cost and scheduling)?

"Successfully completing a WERA approved rider’s school. WERA recognizes the following motorcycle ROADRACING schools as the requirement for obtaining a Provisional Novice License: WERA New Riders’ School, Jason Pridmores STAR School, Fast Track Riders school, Ed Bargy’s Rider School, Kevin Schwantz Suzuki School, Corner Speed, Team Chicago School, F.A.S.T. (Canadian), CLASS, Team Hammer Advanced Riders’ School, Track Riders, MARRC, Freddie Spencer, Viking Race School, California Superbike (must take the classroom part of WERA’s school), RPM Track School, Ty Howards Racing School 35, Sportbike Track Time Pro School., Champion Sportbike Club, Wizard Racing School, & Penguin School. The length of time between taking the riders’ school and racing must not exceed twelve (12) months. If the school you have taken or wish to take is not listed call the WERA office to see if it has been approved since the printing of the rulebook or if it meets WERA requirments."

Thanks, John

2. Steve C

Steve C Mostly working.

Without answering either question directly, easy answer: the 2014 schedule is up. Find a date with the "-rs". Attend the school.

Steve

3. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

You posted the answer to your question in your post:

"If the school you have taken or wish to take is not listed call the WERA office to see if it has been approved since the printing of the rulebook or if it meets WERA requirments."

Or email [email protected]

Or post up here using the Thread Title "Hey, Mongo!"

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Either level of CSS will work for the riding portion for us, they do a great job in the lower levels which will keep you safe on track and knowing what you need to, the higher levels just teach you more about riding better. They don't however cover race procedures and flags and such which is why we require the classroom portion of our school.

The schedule on the main wera.com site (schedules page then click the yearly schedule link) has most of the schools listed with an rs after the event, however the schedule isn't 100% so check back every so often. You can also email me any time with questions or just to make sure the school you want will happen or whatever else you need. It's all confusing at first and our whole job is the help you get on track and racing.

5. imaboa

imaboa Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Is the race school usually done on Saturday or Sunday in between the other practice and race sessions? Or is it done on the Friday before? The sample schedule I looked at paints a good picture of the weekend, and I guess assumes you've gotten the school completed already. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0E6M06kN3YOU2pqaW85czJyZ0k/edit

Do most people do the race school and their first race in the same weekend, or should I plan on splitting it up over two weekends?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Saturdays. Most people do both in the same weekend (even the same day on double header weekends).

7. TurnOne1

TurnOne1 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to see one that has the -rs but don't see that.

Looking at the March round in Roebling, Race School is listed during Saturday practice, but not sure if that fully means it's has Race School for that day. Sounds probable, or even likely, but on these matters, I like to be sure.

Chris

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

as you mentioned roebling, i assume you're in the southeast

Southeast presented by Marietta Motorsports

2/22-23 Talladega Gran Prix Raceway, Talladega, AL-rs,

3/14-16 Roebling Road Raceway, Faulkville, GA-N,

5/31-6/1 Roebling Road Raceway, Faulkville, GA-rs,

6/5-8 WERA Cycle Jam at Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA-

6/28-29 Barber Motorsports Park, Birmingham, AL-rs,

7/19-20 Roebling Road Raceway, Faulkville, GA-rs,

8/23-24 Talladega Gran Prix Raceway, Talladega, AL-rs,

9/6-7 Jennings GP, Jennings, FL-DH,rs,

TBA Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA-DH,rs,

this is from here: http://maps.wera.com/schedule/thisseason.asp?<%=linkvars%>#se

i'd like to do the school also in March, it just seems it's the only one without school. Tally won't work for me in Feb.

9. TurnOne1

Thanks! I wish they had the school as I was willing to drive down from OH. I live just outside Cincinnati.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

wouldn't either of these be closer for you?
    https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...kziDEPodW_aIQLrw&oq=Wampum,+PA&t=h&mra=ls&z=7

North Central Region

5/3-4 Grattan Raceway Park, Grattan, MI-cc,rs,

7/5-6 Pittsburgh Int'l Race Complex, Wampum, PA-rs

7/11-13 Vintage Motorcycle Days, Mid-Ohio, Lexington, OH-V,

(limited classes and age limit)

7/16-17 Mid Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, OH-DH,rs,

8/2-3 Grattan Raceway, Grattan, MI-c,DH,rs,

8/16-17 Nelson Ledges Road Course, Garrettsville, OH-rs,

9/6-7 Pittsburgh Int'l Race Complex, Wampum, PA-rs

11. Tony216

Tony216 Well-Known Member

North Central Region
    5/3-4 Grattan Raceway Park, Grattan, MI-cc,rs,
    7/5-6 Pittsburgh Int'l Race Complex, Wampum, PA-rs
    7/11-13 Vintage Motorcycle Days, Mid-Ohio, Lexington, OH-V,
    (limited classes and age limit)
    7/16-17 Mid Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, OH-DH,rs,
    8/2-3 Grattan Raceway, Grattan, MI-c,DH,rs,
    8/16-17 Nelson Ledges Road Course, Garrettsville, OH-rs,
    9/6-7 Pittsburgh Int'l Race Complex, Wampum, PA-rs

Well, I guess I was a bit late on that one.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  12. TurnOne1

Yes, definitely closer. But would like to start riding in the South while it is still cold up here. My Super Moto and Mini league starts around mid April up here as well. Would like to get my license and some riding in before the North Central opens up.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

School listings aren't 100% done, they'll be updated once I'm positive on Endurance rounds and everything.

14. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

just an FYI, Ed Bargy has just scheduled a race school at Tally for Sat. Feb. 15, the weekend prior to the Tally race weekend. edbargyracing.com for more info.

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

And if I'm not mistaken, and forgive me if I am, I think the Bargy school counts as one of the two weekends needed to get out of your provisional shirt and into the novice ranks.:)

16. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

you are not mistaken, it indeed does count as your first weekend.

17. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I always thought it'd be a great idea to have a RS at the opening National round. I think I had three of my buddies come with us to Roebling last year. You guys were more than helpful, thanks.

BTW The guy who posted above you will likely be rolling to Roebling with us this year. lol:up:

18. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

:stupid:

:up:

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Since it's combined we'll most likely be putting one at Roebling.

20. Phl218

Phl218 .