1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foreign films.....

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, Dec 14, 2013.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Do you guys bother giving them a try much?

If yes, which ones and rate'em for us!

I was bored last night so I started surfing Netflix and clicked on one (Special Forces) that I didn't realize was a French film until it started playing it.

It wasn't half bad at all, I clicked on it not thinking I'd watch it for long, next thing I know the credits started rolling. It may have had something to do with the female actress tho....def 2x. :D

What about you hooligans?

2. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Last one I watched was the English Patient. Maybe one of the worste things I have ever sat through. :down:

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The Ghost of Liberace just called and said "you're ghey!" :D

and a Hipster.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

My little sister used to be all into Bollywood movies back in the day. I think it was just a phase though. I'd pass through the room every once in a while like "WTF is this that you're watching?!"

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Foreign films are great. IFC and Sundance channel show some great ones.

I hate to break it to everyone, but a lot of the shows and movies we see originated in another country.

The Japanese and Scandinavians push the boundaries way more than our filmmakers.

One example: The Magnificent Seven was a remake of a Japanese movie.

6. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

I digs em....
    If you haven't seem "The Intouchables" you're missing a great film.
    Don't think there would be anyone on this board that wouldn't enjoy it.
    Y'all could relate.. :)

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Sundance and IFC are two of my favs. I DVR a lot of shows, often I find a gem.

8. If you only watch Hollywood dreck, you're really missing out. Lots of really awesome movies are made elsewhere.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If I have to read subtitles I'd rather read the book the flick is based on.

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

:stupid:
    I'm not reading a movie either.

11. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Werner Herzog FTW!!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On the other hand - if I understood the language it was in I'm all for watching the movie. The language isn't the issue but film is a visual thing, if I'm busy reading I'm no longer watching so no point.

13. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

But you miss out on the subtleties and nuance of a French woman when she says "vous"
    And no, your response should not be along the lines of DeNiro in Taxi Driver... :)

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Never saw Apocalypto? You're missing out. :D

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

The Dragon Tattoo trilogy in Swedish is on par with Breaking Bad.

16. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Watch Jiro Dream of Sushi on Netflix. Awesome foreign movie. Otherwise I haven't watched many foreign films on Netflix unless you count the UK and Ireland as foreign

17. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Great film....I smiled and laughed constantly. Really a superb film with great acting.

18. Ghamilton

Ghamilton Well-Known Member

Nothing like reading a good movie. I prefer the Swedish to the American. Way more believable? If you have the inclination, Fellini's Amercord is good and one of my favorite foreign films is Amelie. Amelie is a good date night flick if your significant other likes reading movies.

Gordon

19. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I will often watch "Foreign" movies, subtitles don't bother me, there's been some great ones too. The problem I have is that they often end up as dreadful Hollywood remakes, two that instantly spring to mind:

The Vanishing (Dutch/French) with a truly terrifying ending and Nikita (French).

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Do Kung Fu movies count? How bout Japanime?