1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lots of rule changes for AMA in 2014

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Nov 8, 2013.

1. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

I think it's deeper than people just buying new bikes. I notice in Europe people tend to keep their bikes longer. Then modify them as the years wear on. Adding aftermarket parts rather than buy new. But the Europeans bought stuff USA will not...brakes, forks, etc, big ticket items. Thinking of bikes as transportation and not just a sporting/activity only will go a long way to make bikes more mainstream. Even with Americans keeping bikes longer they still don't buy much more than a pipe, brake lines and powercomander.

2. Very true. And as has been said before, that is the main difference between other countries and the US...a much larger % of the population in other countries use motorcycles as a source of transportation.

Im getting off topic, but that is primarily related to the difference in gas prices. People in the US complain about the gas prices, but we have some of the cheapest gas in the world. If we had to pay the equivalent to $12/gal for gas like other countries do, we would start utilizing motorcycles more and more.

In most other countries, you won't see people with a big 4x4 crew cab truck as a daily driver.

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

250's, 300's, FZ's, etc. Anything that's fuel efficient and fits within the current economic climate. The OEM's do their research on what sells. Major revisions to 600's with MSRP's at or above $10k (partially due to the yen) isn't where the focus is right now.

4. I understand and agree with that.

And that would make sense if nobody was making any changes. My comments were directed towards those specific manufacturers. If nobody was making any changes or coming out with new bikes, it would be different. But they have, and they are.

In the essentially 10 years that those companies have been stagnant, we have gotten the S1000RR, RSV4, ZX-10, ZX6R (with 36cc's more, ABS and TC), Panigale, Diavel, 675R, MV F3 (in 675cc and 800cc versions), RC8R and im sure a few others i am forgetting.

In Honda's defense, they did come out with an all-new CBR1000RR in 2008 that was a huge improvement, but what have they done since then? And Yamaha did come out with the crossplane motor and they did add TC. Even though the R1 is drastically overweight and underpowered, at least they did try to give us something new and exciting.

The prices have went up on all 600 and 1000cc bikes over the past 10 years. But with those price increases, some companies (Kawasaki, BMW, KTM, Aprilia, Ducati, MV and even Triumph) have given us new, exciting motorcycles. The other companies have steadily raised their prices and have given us Bold New Graphics.

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I suppose I'd look at the financial landscape of the companies that aren't making massive updates (ie Suzuki), as well as the success of some models (Yamaha), that may shed some more light on the BNG's being the featured upgrade for the street demographic.

6. No.

I would rather just sit here and bitch about it and be like "TAKE MY MONEY!". :D

But FWIW, i do remember reading about Kawi and BMW and they both have sold a metric assload of bikes in the last 3 years. Which im sure is contributed to the fact that they have came out with the most kickasstastic bikes in that timeframe.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

If you look at folks that don't road race... big hp is a seller.
    The S1000RR, ZX14 & Zx10 are nearly a pipe, tune, and some gofastgas away from 200hp. The latter 2 can be had for less than $15k otd... in reach of just about any one with the cash or 600 credit score.

If you go to an event at MIR or the Rock... those spectators don't blink an eye at picking up a new bike one of the pros ride. Loads of them wont hesitate to put another $3-4k into the bike either. And these are diehard, brand loyal folks too!

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It is a real issue - it's one that will easily deter riders from running an AMA Pro round making it just that much more expensive and that much more hassle. They can't afford to piss off the people paying the bills which with the way things are going is NOT the promoters and is the racers...

9. g maloney

If the color of plates and possibility of switching plates deters a rider from competing in an AMA pro event, then that person has no business racing. I've used paper plates and electrical tape to get on track, no piece of $5 vinyl will stop me from racing. Prime example: I take a bike with plates designed for motogp to a club race, I use $2 worth of blue painters tape to tape over motogp plate, then white $5 vinyl over top of that with my number. I guess my point is, when the color of the plates are more of a hot topic than the rest of what is going on, then we are in big trouble in the motorcycle race business.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, the other thing with all that is - there is nothing else going on so yeah, I totally agree with you there are larger problems. It's just the plate thing is indicative of fixing a non issue while not fixing the real issues.

11. g maloney

I think the plate thing is a fine rule. Easy, simple cost effective rule that allows spectators to easily identify classes. I don't think anything will be "fixed" anytime soon when the hottest topic is sticker number plates. I expected to hear good ideas that can be implemented and proposed to the race orgs, not pages of moaning about how bad the bikes will look. I'm looking at bigger picture and general attitude of a large demographic. I've provided a few very trick bikes to ride, and I've had some riders more interested in putting their sticker name logo on the bike before we even talk spring rates. Something is wrong on a bigger scale.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There are only 3 classes. One with big bikes, one really full of amateurs and the other one. The spectators are not confused. I don't care how the plates look.

There are plenty of threads with suggestions - I however think I'm done posting in those. DMG won't listen in person or on here so there is no point.

13. Cannonball39

Cannonball39 Well-Known Member

Where's the purse? Even if I'm slow as f*ck, give me something to dream about. I can buy my own trophies, find some scantily clad broads on backpage but I'll be damned if I have to buy my own money, lol. The bikes are a wet dream to ride and to look at, the safety concerns are being met at more and more tracks, riders are definitely interested in "racing" (see trackdays, lol) but with no purse, who really cares? By the looks of the grids, not many.

14. g maloney

I've been to a few ama races this year. Standing on the pit wall, under team awnings, and asked the person next to me what class was on track. It took more than a few moments for us to figure it out (longer than just looking at bikes with colored plates an instantly knowing). Not to mention the countless clueless people I've been around that had no idea and wanted an easy way to identify riders/classes. So I'm a confused spectator (at times).
    If im the ama: I'm not listening to anyone who complains loudly about sticker number plates.... Why would I listen to them about other complaints? Clearly the priorities are off.

15. If i may interject, do yall realizing the amount of griping about the plate ruling has been surpassed by the griping about the griping about the plate ruling?

Im just sayin'.

16. g maloney

Yes I realize that. Depressing it is.

17. Cannonball39

It'd be so much more awesome if there was a purse to gripe about i.e. "Can you believe that 1st place only pays $10,500? Last year it was $10,475!!! WTF?!?"

This sucks in soooo many ways. Number plates?

I'm having an Iverson moment...

"It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about NUMBER PLATES. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be A MOTORCYCLE RACER, and we in here talking about NUMBER PLATES. I mean, listen, we're talking about NUMBER PLATES, not a RACE, not a PURSE, not a PAYOUT, we talking about NUMBER PLATES. Not a RACE. Not, not ... Not the RACE that I go out there and die for and RUN every RACE like it's my last. Not the RACE, but we're talking about NUMBER PLATES, man. I mean, how silly is that? ... And we talking about NUMBER PLATES. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And i'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about NUMBER PLATES man. What are we talking about? NUMBER PLATES? We're talking about NUMBER PLATES, man. [laughter from the media crowd] We're talking about NUMBER PLATES. We're talking about NUMBER PLATES. We ain't talking about the RACE. [more laughter] We're talking about NUMBER PLATES, man. When you come to the TRACK, and you see me RACE, you see me RACE don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about NUMBER PLATES right now. We talking about NU..." [Interrupted]

18. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Just run the number plates...who the fuck cares. I think it helps identify each class which will help fans identify the bikes/classes easier....if the fans come back...

Payouts, media and competition are what should draw the racers and the fans to pro racing.

19. caferace

caferace No.

Thank you, Yoda. :D

-jim

20. Cannonball39

I think payouts are enough for the desired effect... We all know that EVERYBODY reads this bbs. There's currently a thread that reads something along the lines of "Summit Point Roll Call"... If that same thread indicated that there was $50,000 (or even $5,000 lol) of purse money up for grabs, I doubt the nonstop banter about tires and weather would consume the thread. No cash, no care.

If there's cash, racers will find a way to come out. If quality racers who do this for a living or WANT to do this for a living come out to put forth 100% effort and flirt with track records n such, then spectatorship will increase. If spectatorship increases and word of mouth follows not only about the guy who won some dough but also about the racers who sent their machines to the moon while chasing dough as well. Now you have money, excitement and an even HIGHER THRILL OF VICTORY AND AGONY OF DEFEAT!

Currently, there's minimal chatter about racing, victories, defeat, pole vaulting of machines... nope, nope... What are we talking about? NUMBER PLATES!?!?