1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snap On, Matco, Blue Point?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Oct 31, 2013.

1. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

I hear you. But those polished SS button heads do look good on a street bike.

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Got one. And yeah, I probably could have used some heat in a few instances. When the service manual calls for the impact or I know from past experience that it'll need it, I use it. I still think it's messed up that a bit snaps in half before the fastener even starts deforming. Something is not right there.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Not me! I've been working on a lot of Harleys lately and the fuggin things are everywhere.

That's what what I do when I find them on something I own! :D

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Fuck looks. I gotta take those things on and off a billion times. I have a whole supply of button head stainless allen head fasteners that look just as good.

5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I gave up on truck delivered tools long time ago, overpriced and overrated.
    I buy all impact sockets and allen (socket type) at harbor freight, have yet to break one. In fact allens are best I ever used, broke and twisted few mac and snap-ons in past.
    Regular sockets I have are mostly craftsman along with open wrenches.
    Pliers and screwdrivers from home depot electrical isle.
    Few motion pro T-handles to put sockets and allens on.

6. joec

joec brace yourself

the trucks have routes they run with regular customers. keep an eye out around garages, shops, and dealers. if the truck is there on a specific day, check the time. they do regular stops at all of their accounts. my guy is wed morning. i know the entire route he drives near the shop. so its easy to track him down. they will sell you anything off of the truck. they also will repair, or replace stuff too. i have had the guy fix a few broken screw drivers etc.

ive bought stuff form the matco guy too. i love their ratcheting "cabinet" screw driver.

always wondered what one of those trucks looks like after a roll over crash.

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I'm going to guess its for the same reason a 8 point screw exists. Speed of installation.

8. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of everything in my box at work. Mostly Snap on with a mix of the others. I've had difficulty getting my matco dealer to warranty some tools so I've given up on buying from him.

9. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I actually like them in 10/32 machine screws over philips bits. Some planes I work on use them and they rarely strip out, when they do they are already half drilled out for an 1/8" easy out.

10. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I actually like the torx fittings. We work on plenty of them in the shop here. Plenty of the aircraft batteries have them as well.
    Fyi I still have plenty Snap on torque wrenches available for sale.

11. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Do you have a part number for the screwdriver?

12. Vstate60

Vstate60 Jaspon&Armas, PA

I just broke and replaced a 3/8 drive ratchet that I owned for exactly 5 days, working on my own bikes.

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'm a mechanic too. A few things I wouldn't go without being snap-on or some other good brand. Rachets for one, the flank drive wrenches are another for me personally (open head doesn't round of nuts as easy, I've tried it back to back with my craftsman professional wrenches and the snap on would remove a nut that a craftsman would just round over).

Things like sockets I have mostly craftsman but am switching over to snap-on as my dealer had a repo sale and I got them at a fair price. I do like these better than the craftsman ones but I got by for many years with them.

Knipex definatly for side cutters, only ones that get used in my box, others are only there if I cant find the knipex ones.

Hammers and drill bits and crap like that, don't bother.

14. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

:crackup: at even mentioning Harbor Freight tools in a thread about actual quality tools :crackup:

15. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Yup the Snap-On wrenches have a closer tolerance.

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Blue Point is Snap Ons entry level price fighter brand.

Snap on also use to make Kobalt but not anymore.

17. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

Take a look at Williams. They are a Snap on owned industrial brand. I have a set of the Williams hard handle screwdrivers (old S.O. hard handle design) and love them. The sockets look to be the same as S.O. with different stampings. The only drawback is that getting them warranteed is a phone call and then they ship you the replacement.

I have used this company for many purchases with no trouble:
    http://www.toolsdelivered.com/Metric-Socket-Sets_c_2857.html
    http://www.toolsdelivered.com/Metric-Sets_c_2822.html
    http://www.toolsdelivered.com/Driver-Sets_c_2805.html

When you are shopping look for "Made in USA" --some of it comes from Taiwan

If I were starting all over again I would go with Williams sockets / wrenches / screwdrivers and Snap On ratchets

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

My neighbor drives a Matco truck. I guess I'd go with them. :D

Everything I have is Craftsman. I will be asking him about some Torx and hex cap sockets tho.

19. A&J Cycles

A&J Cycles Well-Known Member

I have a cornwell tool guy but I don't have a lot of tools from them. the only thing I've gotten from them were specialty tools. temp gun a few bore gauges, Micrometers, and bore gauge setting tools "Fowler".
    I've been buying tool since 94. So If I step onto a tool truck im replacing broken or mostly "lost tools" with what I had, lol.

20. A&J Cycles

A&J Cycles Well-Known Member

I've seen that with some of Leslie tools.