1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Georgia mountains (The Gauntlet)

Discussion in 'General' started by Terp01, Oct 15, 2013.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

:stupid: The creek that runs through there is a beaut! One of our Maine riders went belly up on that gravel--its no big deal--those guys can't street ride. ;) But, then, you'll have to take the dirt road to the top of Wayah Bald. Its only about 3 miles, I took a 999 with no problem. Well worth it. Wonder if its open. There are interesting old pictures on display there.

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Rt 160 from TWO cuts over towards the Richard Russel...HOWEVER...there is a sneaky sharp lefthander to cross a bridge at a lake in the middle of this route. I nearly put a R1 into the lake there once...Never even saw the signs, came within 1" of going for an expensive swim with my bike....This is not a road daydream on...:eek:

3. Motofun352

They were putting down new tar and chip this past September....It was challenging at anything over a cruising pace. Maybe it's sunk in by now?

4. 12

12 Well-Known Member

Me too.. probably met you back then... I hung around with the "Scooter Scum" group.. haha..

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Slow down every once in a while. The mountains are quite nice outside the white lines. :D

6. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Hwy 180. Thats Lake Winfield Scott were the kink is that you speak of. Scott was the guy who removed the Cherokee out of the SE, aka the Trail of Tears.

7. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

Nearly had my first crash with 2 of my buddies going around the right hander immediately before the left. Came around the bend to find gravel thrown all over the road. :down:

8. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Can Am Spyders never go down in gravel.

Just sayin...

9. Ed5726

Ed5726 Active Member

Just got back from a weeks worth of riding in the TN,GA,NC & SC Mountains.
    Richard Russell is friggen awesome on the Helen side to the "Top" as it has brand new smooth as glass perfect asphalt.
    Traffic on Hwy 64 from Brevard to 10 miles north of Franklin is HORRIBLE.
    US129 Blood Mtn is excellent especially northbound and heavily patrolled.
    GA 180 "Wolf Pen Gap" is an excellent road but a very very unforgiving road. Multiple places where if u go down u may never be found.
    GA60 from the rock pile to Suches is very tight and demanding with bazillions of tar snakes. GA60 from Suches to Morganton maybe the best overall road.
    GumLog road is tougher than it looks and for some reason routinely eats my lunch and steals my milk money.
    There are tight roads, technical roads, and demanding roads and then there is the last 3-5 miles of WarWoman road when coming out of Clayton, bring your A game and where a cup.
    I am from Florida and all I can say is I fookin hate Florida cagers in the mountains. Dey iz everywhere and slower than schiite and don't know the first thing about road etiquette.
    I would try to lessen the amount of US64 miles if you can.

10. Motofun352

I was also on War women last September. Was breaking in my new 750, just clicked over the magic 1000 miles (I was actually trying to follow the breakin procedure). Decided to rev it up on WW road...bad idea....Was lucky..:eek:

11. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

what is "The Gauntlet"? lemme guess.. the deals gap t-shirt vendor guy renamed Frank's "Cooler Run"?

anyone here doing the True Grit 50cc run? or does anyone know if there is a chance to run an 80cc 4stroke?

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Done it for many years, although lately I've been busy that weekend.

Cheating just moves you to the back of the line for hilarious trophies. You will be allowed to run, but you can't possibly be in the running for Galaxy Champion, unless you devise a class title so hilarious that it has to win.

13. Terp01

Terp01 Well-Known Member

14. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Deer. Deer. More deer. Be aware. Early AM and late afternoon in particular. But, they're around all day, and it really sucks to encounter one.

Cheers,

Dave

15. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

Im not so much interested in competing with it but just going along for the ride and Im pretty sure a modern 50cc 2stroke (derbi, etc.) would dust an XR80 based 4stroke so bad that "cheating" wouldnt really be a factor LOL

16. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

i wouldnt go any further north on 276 or 215 than the blue ridge, the pavement is absolute chip and shit. the roads would be awesome with good pavement.

276 from 64 north to the blue ridge has been partially paved (if i remember correctly), unsure if it was completed. last year a local on here said, they had been trying to repave it.

215 from the blue ridge south was new 3 years ago and in awesome shape, and an awesome road, one of my favorites.

64 will suck for sure (traffic) but, unless you want to hunt and peck, you might as well suck it up and use it to get through to highlands.

mind your speeds, and be safe, Ski

17. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

I was up there last weekend.

My two observations: On the north end of 60 between Suches and Morganton the tar snakes are really bad. Also, the surface of 180 over Wolf Pen Gap from the bottom of one side to the bottom of the other is getting in really bad shape. I used to ride it balls to the wall, but with the current condition I'd be scared to.

18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I've ridden with friends who did it on an XR50 with a cracked frame tied together with string. Come out and have fun.

19. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I'll be up for the true grits. I am curious if anyone will,bring out a new Grom. The event was started by a guy who worked formhonda who was charged with making first the MB5 and then the NS50 sellable (so I have been told). This will be my first time back in three years. If I have time I maynswapmout the 20 year old tires on my NS.

20. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

Looks like fun, my .02

In N. Carolina off of 215 before you get to 64, I would take Macedonia Church to Silverstein Rd. Silverstein at least used to be one of my favorites around there. You could also take Explorer Rd over to 281 near the top of 215 to get down to 64 as well 281 has some great sweepy stuff on it but can be iffy for gravel near the bottom from my experience.

You might try and go through Clayton via way of 28s out of Highlands (great road) (Cops near the top) to Warwoman rd (another awesome road). Or you can work it on your way back take by taking a right on 76 instead of left and head into Clayton (several decent eating establishments) -> warwoman -> 28s -> 107

My two observations: On the north end of 60 between Suches and Morganton the tar snakes are really bad.

I was just on 60 all the way down from Morganton to Dahlonegha on Sunday and the tar snakes aren't bad at all until you get south of Suches from my ride. It would be a shame because I think that is my favorite stretch of road in N. Georgia.