1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hernia Surgery

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, Oct 4, 2013.

1. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Anyone had it and what method did they use? I'm trying to decide between the laparoscopic surgery or traditional incision. Surgeon tells me he prefers the incision approach. He said they see less problems or recurrences down the road with this approach. This jives with what someone else I know that recently had it done was also told. Sounds like either way I will have to take it relatively easy for about 6 weeks. What was your recovery time?

2. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I had it back in '06, full 3" gut cut. My doctor encouraged me to use this over the laparoscopic method which according to him had a higher failure rate.

Don't under estimate the pain to come. I had it done on a Friday morning and was telling everyone at work prior I'd be in on the following Monday. Hell no come Monday I couldn't even get out of bed to go pee which btw hurt like hell to do for about a week. I did finally make it to work that Thursday but first bump I hit in my truck I knew I was going back to early. If this is was a stabbing feels like I'm done I will die on the spot.

I usually have a high tolerance for pain since I'm basically allergic to all pain medicine but this procedure about took me out. I will take a broke bone any day over having my abdomen cut open.

Good thing was about a month later I was able to ride at barber during a trackday. It did still hurt then but was more of a phantom pain by then. I had the right iguinial sp? Done and I live in fear of my left one blowing out. Damn I hate the thought of going through that again.

Best advice is don't pick up heavy stuff. I avoid lifting anything remotely heavy. Mine was caused by me falling over with my streetbike at the time in my garage. Bandit 1250 ain't light laying over on your leg.

3. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I had inguinal hernia surgery on the right side. They did the traditional incision. It hurt like shit for a week, I popped a lot of vicodins. I was back on my bicycle trainer in 10 days (with a lot of pain) and cycling again lightly in 16 days, but I was 24 and in fantastic condition. Your results may vary, but if you're relatively young and you're in good shape you can probably be physically active again in a few weeks as long as you don't get too crazy.

It will hurt like fuck for the first week, though, I think I was popping the max 8 vicodins for the first few days, then weaned myself off it. It hurt more than breaking my L1 and L2 vertebrae.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Did you guys get a mesh insert or did they stitch the "hole" together?
    I'm goin' under the knife in a couple weeks. Doc does laparoscopic, he's top notch and will use permanent mesh.
    Not too keen about it.

5. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Mine was mesh plug but like I said earlier I had the full incision done. About a 3" cut below the belt line. They do Stich the mesh in place.

6. Bluebeemer

Bluebeemer Active Member

I had mine done twice. The first was from the incision the doctor made to put a clamp on my pelvis. I guess they didnt sew up me very well and where the incision was is where the hernia came out. They used mesh but only covered the left side about a year later I felt my guts poking out on the right side so back in and now I have enough mesh in me to be able to strain around 2lbs. of pasta. Both times I had the laparoscopic and it was painful you will learn to roll out of bed. Get it done I lived with it for over a year before I knew what it was. I didnt know if I was still recovering from the pelvis operation.

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Sounds a little like getting a C-Section.

8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I had the incision and mesh. Not a big deal at all, just a bit tender for a bit as others have mentioned.
    I was at work the following day, although not moving too quickly. I could pedal after a week or so, with pain, and was pretty much back to normal life in a few weeks.

9. fastfreddie

After a dozen breaks, the next one'll be like, gimme a beer. If I can show you the bone, then I'll tell ya it hurts. :D
    I blew out both. Which side of the bed do I roll out of? :D

10. JRA

JRA Well-Known Member

Traditional incision. My surgery doc who I know well and trust told me the same as others here, that the incision method was best. he did use mesh and that was in 2008 and it's held up with no problems. It felt like I had been shot in the gut though. It was VERY painful for me, but I know others who had a different experience and the pain wasn't bad. It didn't take long to heal though, and within a week I was pretty much back to normal. After a couple of weeks I did whatever I wanted even though you're supposed to not lift anything.

I was told that if you have a hernia chances are much better that you get one on the other side at some point. So far so good though. Thinking back I can't imagine having double hernia surgery.:eek:

11. SGVRider

I had the mesh, too. The other procedure without mesh is the original hernia repair surgery, it has a much higher failure rate and is much for difficult to recover from.

Hernias are an inherited condition. My grandfather had bilateral hernia repair. My dad had inguinal hernia repair about 40 years ago without mesh, then he had to have it repaired with mesh about 3 or 4 years ago.

Incision is a better method but more invasive. My doctor doesn't do laparoscopic. He repaired my team mate's hernia, too. That knucklehead was riding within a week.

12. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

I had two done at the same time, 1 left, 1 right. (didn't even know there was an issue on the right side.) Both laparoscopic. The left one failed in a few months and I had to go back for the full incision, which I'd recommend as the 1st time procedure to you. The scaring isn't that bad. The pain.... well that's different.

13. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Did i mention the catheter? That damn thing caused more problems than the Dr's knife ever could.

14. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Laparoscopic with mesh on Friday, off pain pills on Saturday, back to work Monday. Been 3 years, no issues.

15. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. I knew I could count on the beeb. After doing some research and reading the replies here, I plan to go with the surgeon I saw yesterday that does the incision with mesh. Everything seems to be lining up with what he told me and his credentials were impressive. Plus, he seemed like a real down to earth guy that wasn't too busy to explain or answer questions. In fact, we got to chatting about cycling, mtb'ing & working out and the obsessiveness that goes along with.

I know it's gonna be painful for a few days. My stepdad, who is pretty tolerant to pain, said it hurt like hell for 3 days and he was good after that. I'll be happy if I can be back to pedalling easy in 2 weeks, but we'll see. I keep telling myself that the upside is that this happened after mtb race season and early in the off/training season. I have plenty of time to get trained back up.

funfred, best of luck with that double. Glad I just have left side.

16. SGVRider

Good luck! You'll be back in no time, just don't do too much too fast. My doc was a triathlon guy and cyclist, we got along well. I actually ran into him at the bank a while later and he showed off his surgical scar from shattering his collarbone to me. It's good to go with a doc who's an athlete, they understand your motivations better.

17. fastfreddie

Thanks.

18. CoqRoti

CoqRoti Well-Known Member

19. CoqRoti

CoqRoti Well-Known Member

I have to take it easy untill October 26th (10 pounds of less drill...). The first 3 days were hard. Some people recover faster.

1 week you have hard time to get in/out bed or get on/off couch. After 1 week your recovery will hit overdrive...

BTW I got open with mesh. I took pain pills for 3 days.

20. Jason748

Jason748 Race Junkie

I've had 2 hernia operations in the last month... The 1st was on sept 9th, had it done lapo with mesh. Was off the pain pills in about 4 days, but the on day 8 it pushed under the mesh and came back... Hurt like hell (now strangulated). 2nd operation was on the 24th. This time it was open to fix the existing mesh and add a 2nd mesh. Def more painful the 2nd time for the 1st week, but was almost off the pain pills after 6 days (still taking 1 before bed) and now 10 days later I'm starting to feel more normal... I'd go straight to having it done open, as it's a better repair.