1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$560+ phone bill

Discussion in 'General' started by duggram, Oct 2, 2013.

1. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I recently signed up for cellular service with Verizon for a new iPhone and stand alone wireless access device (I telecommute and live full time in my RV so this is important to me). A few days later while in Costco I got to talking to the Verizon sales guy about the order I had placed online and was asking about my monthly bill. He then proceeds to tell me about his. He has a wife and 4 kids, each with a phone and I forget how many access devices he has. He showed me his normal monthly bill. I didn't notice a lot of details and just remember that it was more then $560! How many families today have a normal monthly phone bill like that?

2. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

Mine is $230... 4 phones 2 with data 2 without

3. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

I swapped to Straight Talk. My bill is now 120. With Verizon it was 250. Service is decent.

4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

My bill is usually around 415-420. However I have my family, my in-laws, and brother in law's family (6 total) on 1 bill. All smartphones, unlimited everything. It was a special deal I got through my employer at the time that they (ATT) grandfathered it through.

My usage is pretty high. But with 2 sets of kids I am usually streaming cartoon videos constantly. Rarely a month goes by where my data usage is less than 2g.

5. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

When I upgraded our two phones in May, I also changed some plans around. Because everything got prorated, I ended up with a 400.00 bill for one month. It usually runs just shy of 200. I'm still grandfathered under AT&T with unlimited data too though. :)

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I have two Sprint plans. $220 for unlimited data, text, four lines, air rave, and around 1500 voice minutes, which we never hit anymore. I also have another Sprint account at work, that is $110-120 for 4 voice only lines.

Sprint coverage is getting so bad out here, I'm actually considering switching. I can't justify Verizon's huge bills, so I'm still sitting.

7. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

$180 with AT&T with a corporate discount, 2 smart phones and a iPad, I was grandfathered in with unlimited data but the throttling was bad after the 3 gig level so i switched to a 10 gig mobile share plan. At&t is pretty damn good in this area. When i first moved here i had sprint, it sucked ass.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My personal phone varies from $90 up. My wife's phone runs about $90 a month or so. So mine in total is around $180 plus.

How can you justify $560 a month? That's working for two weeks just to pay the phone bill. Insanity!

9. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

The tribulations of the proletariat.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

He should sign up for obama phones.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

$230 for three smart phones with 1400 minutes and unlimited errrrythnag else. Verizon with a work discount. Wife uses most of the minutes, daughter is heaviest data user. As soon as we have to upgrade a phone (w/o an outright purchase) we lose the unlimited data plan. Damn good thing I like my Droid.

12. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Holy crap, seriously? I guess it's a good thing my parents are so old because I upped ours last month to double the minutes and that took the bill to 159.99 after my discount and I thought that was high.

I am the only of 4 phones with data as they all still have flip phones, but dang, people really spend that much on a cell phone? My parents would drop them outright before even considering spending anymore than we are now.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

My wife uses her phone for business, my daughter is 20 which makes it mandatory. I like having pocket google, plus with Foxfi, I can use the phone as a mobile hotspot. I gave up the landline.

14. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Ah so no internet at home, just the mobile hotspot, yeah that would add some $ and take about 70 off my cable bill, never really thought about that concept with peoples bills.

Sorry, not real techy here, have wifi in the house and can use my Iphone for some of the things it was intended for, making calls, texting, and checking emails. That's about it.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have cable internet at home, but no cable TV. When my daughter graduates from college, she will have to get her own plan and my bill will drop substantially. The business use makes it deductable so it really isn't as bad as it seems.

16. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

You guys spend alot... my wife and I, both unlimited talk, text, data = $107/mo on TMO. (my wife gets her speed throttled down at 500mb, I have 5gb)

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, AT&T is hitting me with that crap.

I used to have a pretty sweet plan for my wife through Sprint. Something like 500 minutes, unlimited after 6 and it was $25 a month. I was grandfathered in and they kept trying to force me to switch away from it everytime I upgraded the phone. I just told them I'd leave Sprint and they'd give it to me for 2 more years even though they hadn't offered that plan in like 8 years. :D
    Damn wife wanted a smart phone and that went away.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I looked into some of the other providers, but coverage in North Augusta is spotty at the house for everyone but Verizon. The wife's phone is her primary business number and she works out of the house. Poor coverage is not an option.

19. Jed

Jed mellifluous

170 att. Two smart phones no appliances. Grandfathered into the unlimited data plan so i use my phone as a hotspot for the kiddos when they want to stream while in the car.

20. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Is there any reason I should worry about losing the unlimited data package with At&t? I only use about 5gb per month and a shared package would save us $40 per month. Everyone always said never give it up. Is that old thinking?