1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog people - what is this?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

2. Mblashfield

3. Mblashfield

4. Mblashfield

5. Mblashfield

6. Mblashfield

7. Mblashfield

8. Mblashfield

All big, Alaskan Mal's.

9. Thanks :up:

I wonder how one of them would be where i live. It would be inside all the time like Caesar is. And it gets cold and snows during the winter, i could get him a harness and he could pull me around in a sled. :D

10. This is an awesome picture.

11. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Beautiful dog!

12. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

The dog in the original pic is an Alaskan Malamute, thick coat variety, red. Breed standard is 85 lb for a male, but a couple of breeders breed big-to-big in order to get that giant size (150-180lb) while others claim that there actually was a giant variety of the Malamute which they are trying to preserve which seems unlikely since a line of 140-180lb sled dogs would have difficulty in deep snow and rough terrain and like most real sled dogs would eventually fall thorough the ice from which their native owners could not rescue them. It's hard to pull a 60lb Husky from the ice, harder to pull an 85lb Malamute,.....180lb???

I have owned several malamutes ranging from 82-138 lb (all fit, not overweight) and I can tell you that as working dogs the big ones are far less effective. The best one was the thick coat female in my avatar, Coho, 82lb, an incredible sled and back pack dog, and one hell of a mouser.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  13. Mblashfield

Hair will be your biggest issue. If you're a dog person it would be way worth the experience.

14. Mblashfield

Look at the paw/human head size comparison.:wow:

15. You will be hard pressed to find a bigger dog person. I like dogs more than i like people. :D

But with that being said, i want the dog to be happy. I dont want the dog to have a miserable life, just because i wanted a big dog. If they are working dogs, that want/need to be in the snow and stuff like that...then that is where they should be.

I know! Caesar has big ole feel like that. I think it is so awesome.

16. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

I think that is the only thing you and i will ever agree on! :D

17. Hey! We agreed on the 999 AND the 916. So technically, there are 3 things. :D

18. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

there is a difference. you only dislike the 916 because it was built before your accepted beginning date of all things road racing! :D

19. Not true. I dislike the 916 because it was/is ugly as fuck. :crackup:

20. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Possibly a russian prison dog too, Caucasion Shepherd Dog, but I know they have another name for them, just forget what it is.

Claims are they have more stopping power than a 44mag, per "Russia's Toughest Prisons" on NATGEO or something like that. Lady I work with has a neighbor who breeds them, apparently they are insane and just want to kill people. Well, other than their owners.