1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear Bags?

Discussion in 'General' started by tophyr, Sep 11, 2013.

1. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I need to buy a new gear bag - big enough to carry leathers, boots, and helmet. What are the beeb's recommendations?

I'm currently looking at the Fly Racing Grande Roller Bag, although the Fox Racing Podium Bag looks good too (can't tell what the difference is between the Podium Bag and the Podium 180 Bag is though, and one is half the price of the other).

I've never really noticed any brands other than Ogio and while I don't mind spending coin for quality, they seem like it's just an extra $100 for the name.

What other brands should I be looking at? Or, does anyone have any connections? I have a friend at a shop I'll probably be ordering through but I'm not opposed to helping someone out with a sponsor or something as long as it's comparable on my wallet.

2. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I don't understand this topic. Why would you buy a moto specific bag for top $ when 90% of larger bags used for travel will suffice for less money. Seems a bit silly to me.

Why pay for the name?

FWIW, The Cycle Gear bags are cheaper and seem to do the job. A buddy has one.

3. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Thought this was going to be about Nazif's "gear" bag. LOL

Ride safe,
    AAron

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Check out Ogio. I had a 9800 or something like that and it was the shit. I'd still have it but my brother stole it.

I think riders discount is having a sale on the 9600.

I have an A* 747 and it's almost as good as the ogio.

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

6. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Durability and size, is my thinking. I don't know too much about bags though - does a luggage piece large enough to carry helmet, boots, leathers cost significantly less than ~$100? That's what the ones I linked cost, on a retail site.

8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

What's "almost as good" about it? Ogio costs like $250 and I just can't imagine what makes it literally twice the price of other similarly-sized gear bags.

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I have the OGIO 9800..love it and if I was traveling on trains in Europe and needed to carry a bunch of stuff...I'd bring that one as its narrow and will fit down the aisle ways.

10. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

my buddy has the ogio from riders discount and that is an awesome machine. It had a nice compartment for your helmet so it doesn't get tossed around and everything fits nicely in there and has these nice big wheels.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The Ogio just felt like better quality. Heavier material, the zippers and little things here and there.

My brother uses the Ogio he stole for firefighter gear and it isn't babied at all.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

and the ogio can also be used as a suitcase when you're traveling for vacation

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've gone through half a dozen soft sided pieces of luggage over the years and was a fan of Oakley. Got the 9600 Ogio stuff from Riders Discount and so far it's already looking better for the long run. More protection on the corners that always get beat up. The SLED system while adding a pound or two helps it stand up straight and protects it from being bent in half. Zippers looks as strong or stronger. All in all it's worth the extra money (although not sure it's more on sale than my last Oakley bag, actually think it's a bit cheaper). 9800 would kick ass for leathers and helmet and all your gear but it'd be way too big for normal use luggage so I'm glad we got the 9600.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

16. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

I have I think a Bilt one I got from Cycle Gear a couple years ago on sale for $50. Love it and it's held up great. Wish it was a little bit bigger but it fits everything just barely.

17. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got a layover too - kickass carryon roller. Don't use it a lot (carry the briefcase instead) but it's better than any other roller I've had.